New Kitten stepping in poop!

delilah22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got two 10 week old kittens. They both use their litterbox consistently, but one of them steps in his poop after he goes. They have trouble covering their "deposits", and sometimes he just accidentally steps in it. And it doesn't matter if there is anything else in the box, it can be perfectly clean and he still does it. It's causing a horrible mess though because then they run all over the house and leave dirty paw prints and micro bits of poop everywhere!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this behavior?

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ours occasionally did this when we first got them at 13 weeks. They still don't bury it very effectively, but they haven't stepped in it since the first month (they're now 6 months old).

As yours are a little young to have left their mother, it may take them a little longer to be really clean, but I would expect them to grow out of it in a few weeks. It was a relief when ours did!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by delilah22

I just got two 10 week old kittens. They both use their litterbox consistently, but one of them steps in his poop after he goes. They have trouble covering their "deposits", and sometimes he just accidentally steps in it. And it doesn't matter if there is anything else in the box, it can be perfectly clean and he still does it. It's causing a horrible mess though because then they run all over the house and leave dirty paw prints and micro bits of poop everywhere!

Yes, time.

Your kittens are still learning. They're just babies and babies have accidents.

They will get better with practice. Trust me, your kitten doesn't want poop on his paws. He will figure out how to avoid it.

In the mean time, you can do yourself a favor, by helping them. When you see your kitten using the box, stay right there and observe. If he steps in it, you can catch him as he's exiting the box and clean him off before he tracks it around.

If he doesn't cover his droppings, make him stay and watch you cover it up for him. You can use a spoon or similar item, if you don't want to touch the litter.

They'll soon catch on.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Yes, time.

Your kittens are still learning. They're just babies and babies have accidents.

They will get better with practice.
Nial is right. My 11 week old kitten covers his up perfectly but he still stands in it now and again.

Just this morning i found a couple of marks from him on top of my cream duvet, but like Nial said accidents happen, and it does get better because i've been through it twice before with my girls when they were little

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed. My brother and sister kitties ( the sister I have since lost ) they were never very good at covering up, infact My Special one, was ...go in...do it...then out again lol ( wish I could see her do that again )
...however my 3 new editions, 2 from the SPCA VERY tidy, even in the morning, one would never suspect any poopys n wee's were in their, it is always so flat, unlike the last 2, bumps n heaps here n there lol..my newest RagDoll, she is good at covering up, but not too good at digging, I mean she digs, but she does not dig a deep hole like the others, and unfortunately she loves to play in it too...gets her toy n straight too it, my other 2 did this for a while , then they seemed to stop after 2 or 3 weeks, so I expect the same, boredom I know plays a part, they have eachother ( 3 ) of em and many many toys and I devote the better part of the day too them, I guess she just loves the box for more than just toileys
...so yes, they will grow out of it, just babies at 10 weeks, 2 of mine are 12 weeks and the other is 16 weeks, and they still have accidents from time too time

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by delilah22

Hi and weclome to the forum...

I have had this with sophia she is about the same age I would just wipe her paw with a warm water to get the poo off but other than that I dont think there is anything you can do as they are still learning.