Does this Cat toy sound familiar?

momto4gr8cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[I tried to post this message, but I got an error message, so I'm posting again. Please forgive me if it double posts.]

Hi, everyone!

I am a new member. I have a question for you. A VERY long time ago, I purchased a very unique cat toy. I think it might have been at a fair of some sort. It was probably more than 20 years ago when I bought it and I've never seen one since. I tried to Google it, but I don't know exactly what it's called. I believe when I bought it, they said it was called a "Tiger Tamer". They said that they actually used this toy (in a larger scale) in zoos for real tigers. They had developed a smaller version for cats.

Over the years, mine has become really worn, and I would love to buy another one, just so I will always have one. This toy is AMAZING!!

The toy is a series of wooden dowels and balls, connected in specific places with strong, thick cord. It hangs like a three-tier mobile, perfectly balanced. At the end is a long string coming down with a felt mouse at the end. The toy itself is very large, and it might have been discontinued because people didn't want a toy that big in their house. Even though it's a space-hog, the toy is SOOO worth it!

What is so unique about this toy is that you hang it by a single string in a doorway or maybe an archway in your home, and the dowel rods balance it. When the cat bats at the mouse, it moves in very unique ways...it goes in all directions, and even up and down, too, swirling in all kinds of random patterns. It allows the mouse to move in a very large area, and mimics the movements a human would do with a toy on a string. The motion of it creates inertia that keeps the mouse moving a LONG time, so it keeps cats entertained for hours! It's the BEST cat toy I've ever seen!!!!

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I would love to know where to get another one, or at least the name of the product. When I searched under Tiger Tamer, I got nothing.

Thanks for any information! I will try to get a picture of it...or a video of my youngest kitty playing with it. My digital camera batteries are recharging now.

Jana

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not heard of it, but it sounds fascinating!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4gr8cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that's it!!!! Yes! It's the BEST!!! My newest cat has been playing all morning...the silly thing just will not stop moving, so my cat is entranced! ha ha!

I just love that toy, and I'm SOOO happy you found it for me!! Thank you SO much, Bonnie!

I probably won't be able to get any pictures until tomorrow, but when I do, I'll be sure to post them!

Jana

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Penny NEEDS me to buy her one of those...

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a cool toy. It may be just the thing to get Tailer, my couch potato, off the couch!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I think I'm going to have to try one of those. Wonder if it will keep my little lunatics entertained.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like fun! Maybe this is the thing that will finally keep my Pearl entertained when I'm not able to dangle the Infamous Pink String for her!
Not a bad price, either. Thanks for the tip, Jana!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That does look like a lot of fun. Do you realize how easy (and inexpensive) it would be to make it? Hmmmmmmmm (Auntie Em puts her cat toy hat on).

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cool toy - DH wants one.

And Welcome Jana from another Jana

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

That does look like a lot of fun. Do you realize how easy (and inexpensive) it would be to make it? Hmmmmmmmm (Auntie Em puts her cat toy hat on).
I was just having the same thought

I just wish I could get a view of how it attaches to the hooks to hang

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Originally Posted by JellyBella

I was just having the same thought

I just wish I could get a view of how it attaches to the hooks to hang
Count me in on that line of thinking. I had the exact same thought....but also at the same time, it is obvious that things have to be precise...down to the length of the cords, the length of the dowels, and the weight of the balls. We'd have to get someone who has ordered one to give us the specs. After that cat tower that I built, I know I could put that little thing together.