Is anyone good at drawing cats?

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured this would be the place to ask since this is a cat site after all. Well, I have two cats, Tyran and Miki and I was thinking of getting two new tattoos, one within the year. My idea was to have a portrait done of each of my cats and have the portraits tattooed on the back of my legs. I was thinking, one cat per leg, with thier name beneath their picture. You always see someone with a portrait of a child on their arm or something, and I thought this was a really nice way of always having them with me no matter where I go.

So I was wondering if anyone would be able to draw really nice portraits of my cats if I provided pictures. I don't want to go to a tattooer just yet with this because often times they charge to have a tattoo drawn up and these two tattoos could take a while. Would anyone be interested?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Draw a tortie? I think I'd end up pulling all my hair out.
Tabbies are hard too.

I hope you can find someone willing to help. Until then you need to take several, very clear and well lit pictures. Preferably no flash as that messes with colors. If you can find someone who will do your cats portraits they'll need good pictures to work from.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be worth the charge to have the person that is going to do the tattoo draw it for you. The charge is usually not very much, and they would have to redraw it to make it tattooable anyway. It would save time, trouble, and in the long run, money. They often add to the price of the tattoo if they have to redo someone else art work. If you have them draw it, the deposit for the artwork is often taken at least partially off the price of the tattoo because it is just so much easier for the tattooer to do it that way. Not trying to be mean or rude, but a tattoo is not the time to worry about a few bucks for having your design drawn by a professional. You will get a much better tattoo if it is drawn by someone that draws tattoos every day. I have some insight into this because my SO is a tattoo artist with 22 years experience, and I have worked in several shops in several different capacities, receptionist, piercer, hand holder, water fetcher, etc, and nearly every drawing that I have someone bring in must be cleaned up and have a line drawing made for a starting point. If you don't mind me asking, do you already know of a good artist in your area? My SO is in contact with artists all over the world and may be able to suggest a good one if you don't already have someone in mind.
BTW, I love the idea of the tattoos and the placement.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. I would have your tatoo artist do it. I actually already have photos of my 6 babies and have been trying to get to my artist as well. I was planning on doing the same thing you are. Problem is I have 6 cats, so I haven't figured out where I"m putting them yet (on my body). I think I just want their headshots mixed into a group photo with their names under each one. But....6....where the hell am I going to put that? I am proud of my babies and want to show them off, but to a point. My tatoos are my art and are put in places on my body that only show when I'm wearing things like a bathing suit or stuff like that and don't show when I'm dressed for work. For me, I'd just prefer to keep it that way so I need to think of an inconspicuous spot.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I agree with the above. I would have your tatoo artist do it. I actually already have photos of my 6 babies and have been trying to get to my artist as well. I was planning on doing the same thing you are. Problem is I have 6 cats, so I haven't figured out where I"m putting them yet (on my body). I think I just want their headshots mixed into a group photo with their names under each one. But....6....where the hell am I going to put that? I am proud of my babies and want to show them off, but to a point. My tatoos are my art and are put in places on my body that only show when I'm wearing things like a bathing suit or stuff like that and don't show when I'm dressed for work. For me, I'd just prefer to keep it that way so I need to think of an inconspicuous spot.
Do you have one on your lower back? I think that would be awesome looking. I might have to do that myself.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Do you have one on your lower back? I think that would be awesome looking. I might have to do that myself.
I was considering that spot, but I'm not sure. I think I need to see it once it's drawn up and go from there cause as much as I love my babies - I don't want it to look tacky with 6 cat heads on my back.
. It was a spot I was considering though.
There's a woman I know that has cat prints up her arm with each of their names under the print. It's awesome! She adds a print for each cat she's gotten over the years. It's really a cool tattoo, but I"m just not too keen on the whole arm think.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my expirence the tattoo parlors draw up the design for free... as long as you get the tattoo from them. I think you should look around and stop by a few good parlors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we are going to to a shop in town on Friday just before Harry Potter night at work so that my fiance can get a tongue piercing. One of the artists there really messed up my fiance's first tattoo so I'm hesitant to go there even though its the closest to us. My fiance will also be getting a third tattoo on Saturday with a best friend. Thier tattoo is kinda cool. Its a base cleff (sp) on each foot, so when they put thier feet side by side, it makes a heart and above the heart will be written in a code we developed in highschool (you know for writing notes)"always friends". And its also in spanish since they always converse in spanish.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

It would be worth the charge to have the person that is going to do the tattoo draw it for you. nearly every drawing that I have someone bring in must be cleaned up and have a line drawing made for a starting point. If you don't mind me asking, do you already know of a good artist in your area? My SO is in contact with artists all over the world and may be able to suggest a good one if you don't already have someone in mind.
BTW, I love the idea of the tattoos and the placement.
i agree - wheni had mine done, i had a drawing, plus pix of my cats. the artist recommended Pixel as the cat to get, because her markings were the easiest to recreate in a tattoo. he cleaned up the drawing, then added in her coloration, working from the photos. i think he did a fantastic job!
here's a pic

krazy kat2 - can you give me a recommendation for an artist in Denton, Texas? i had my tat done in Austin, partly because i don't know any of the tattoists in this area, & my best friend in Austin knew a good one. there are several parlors around here, but i would be hesitant to go to one without a recommendation.