OMG! Help!!! Toilet is stopped up with paper towels!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so this is embaressing to say the least but i really need help!!!!! I was cleaning house earlier (still am) and while i was wiping down the counters in the bathroom, i used papertowels. Not even thinking- i tossed them down the toilet then flushed it
OMG! It will not unclog for anything!!! I have tried plunging it to death to no avail. I have emptied it about 6 different times and it still overflows. I have tried adding dish soap after looking for help on another site (it does NOT work!!! it made everything worse
) and I have tried several different pots of boiling water. NOTHING is working
What do i do??? I'd like not to have a clogged toilet when Colin comes home in an hour.
Any other suggestions??? I'm desperate!

Oh my goodenss- i never knew paper towels could be soo bad!
I can't believe i tossed them in there -i wasn't even thinking straight.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try a wire hanger opened up and see if you can get it down far enough to snag them. Are you sure you didn't put a dishrag, or real towel? I imagine paper towels will dissolve after a while, but cloth will require a plumber.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say either a wire hanger or close your eyes and stick your hand in there! Just don't get your hand stuck or it will be a long hour till Colin gets home! And then you'll never live it down!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to call a plumber. Colin should cut you some slack, you were cleaning the bathroom, ugh! If you were using good paper towels, they can be pretty thick.

We had too much toilet paper flushed down the toilet once, when a certain four-year-old did a little scientific experiment to see how much she could flush down at one time.
We had to call a plumber.

Hope you work it out!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use your hand, stick it inside a couple of trash bags first...

Coathanger can work, too...

But if this is your only bathroom, you're not going to be able to let it stand unused for a day or two while the papertowels dissolve.
Plumber might be best...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

You could try a wire hanger opened up and see if you can get it down far enough to snag them. Are you sure you didn't put a dishrag, or real towel? I imagine paper towels will dissolve after a while, but cloth will require a plumber.
It was paper towels- some really super absorbent ones
. Thankyou for the suggestion- i tried the wire hanger but i was unable to unclog it even with that. I appreciate the suggestions though

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'd say either a wire hanger or close your eyes and stick your hand in there! Just don't get your hand stuck or it will be a long hour till Colin gets home! And then you'll never live it down!
I tried both...neithor worked
Colin's home now and he's being a total jerk about it. I told him to just chill out- that he was not going to get mad at me because i was trying to do something nice for him by making sure we had a clean home!
The he said "clean doesn't include stopping up the toilet with paper towels. Don't you know paper towels don't flush"
Uhhhhh! I'm about ready to ring his neck. I have him the plunger and told him to deal with it

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I think you need to call a plumber. Colin should cut you some slack, you were cleaning the bathroom, ugh! If you were using good paper towels, they can be pretty thick.

We had too much toilet paper flushed down the toilet once, when a certain four-year-old did a little scientific experiment to see how much she could flush down at one time.
We had to call a plumber.

Hope you work it out!
I'm thinking we're going to have to call the plumber tomorrow. He tried to unclog it and was unable to fix it as well -so he poured some drain stuff and said he will let it sit overnight and see if that helps. If it doesn't work i told him i'd pay for a plumber. Uhhh i'm about ready to flush Colin down the toilet today! He's been grumpy all day long

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

If you use your hand, stick it inside a couple of trash bags first...

Coathanger can work, too...

But if this is your only bathroom, you're not going to be able to let it stand unused for a day or two while the papertowels dissolve.
Plumber might be best...
Thankyou for the suggestions hon. Unfortunately neithor has worked. I think I will have to call the plumber in the morning. Fortunately though- this is our guest bathroom, so we are lucky and we still have another one we can use.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

he poured some drain stuff and said he will let it sit overnight and see if that helps. If it doesn't work i told him i'd pay for a plumber.
I hope he used toile specific drain cleaner. Anything other drain cleaners can cause air build up and back flash, and even blow up your pipes.

If you do have to call the plumber, make sure you tell them what was put down the toilet in an attempt to unclog it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, what Natalie said -- and keep that bathroom closed tonight, so no kitties will be present if anything should happen...

So glad you have another bath! Whew!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I hope he used toile specific drain cleaner. Anything other drain cleaners can cause air build up and back flash, and even blow up your pipes.

If you do have to call the plumber, make sure you tell them what was put down the toilet in an attempt to unclog it.
It was toilet specific. I didn't know we had any when i was trying to unclog it earlier- apparently he had it in the back of the counters under the kitchen sink and not in the restroom where i was looking for it. I really hope it works!

Thanks for the info on not using non-toilet drain cleaners on the toilet. I didn't know that!!!

I'm thinking I will have to call a plumber tomorrow on my lunch break if this doesn't work. That or i could go to the hard ware store and get one of those snakes
I'd rather leave it to a professional though and not risk damaging the pipes since i don't really know what i'm doing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes, what Natalie said -- and keep that bathroom closed tonight, so no kitties will be present if anything should happen...

So glad you have another bath! Whew!
It's closed
That door actually stays closed all the time now- i just redid that bathroom and don't want the furbabies having a party in there and trashing anything

I am soo happy we have another restroom too! I lived for almost 15 years in a 1 bathroom duplex with my mom and everytime our plumbing would mess up- we were miserable! The worst was when my sisters family lived with us for six months- 7 people in a one bathroom two bedroom duplex was NOT fun

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an item called a toilet snake that you can rent from many Home Depot type places. That should work like a jiff and save you having to call a plumber - plus they will probably just use a toilet snake themselves.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

There is an item called a toilet snake that you can rent from many Home Depot type places. That should work like a jiff and save you having to call a plumber - plus they will probably just use a toilet snake themselves.
thanks hon! i am not feeling so great right now (home early from work) but when colin gets done with his court cases this morning i will see if he can swing by home depot to pick one of those up. it's worth a try at least.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually own one (one of the weird things we inhereted from my inlaws when they moved into the apartment) and it has come in handy several times for us and our neighbours!

Good luck!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

The worst was when my sisters family lived with us for six months- 7 people in a one bathroom two bedroom duplex was NOT fun
Oh dear lord. One week of that, and I would've committed a crime.

Which, come to think of it, would have solved my problem! In solitary confinement, you get a private bath!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let the plumber know that drain cleaner was dumped down the drain so he doesn't get injured while unclogging.

The snake should work-he might have to remove the toilet though (its not a hard job).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update!!!!

Colin got it unclogged this morning!!!!!!
He left the "drain out crystals" in there last night and then this morning he was able to unclog it!!!!!
I'm soo happy!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Glad to know that you've got a happy ending to the clogged toilet saga
me too!
i'm soo glad he was able to fix it and we didn't need a plumber

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent! I didn't even know about those crystals -- will have to get some for emergencies.

...And are you feeling all right today?