I gotta do 3 things I hate tomorrow!!!

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow at 8:30 am I have to go to the allergist to get tested. I have had a horrific allergy season. It seems to be getting better now but they wanna see if my allergies have change from when I was a kid.
Anyway I HATE to drive in the city and I have to to get to the allergist, and I hate elevators and I gotta ride on to get to the 6th floor, unless I find the stairs!! and then THE SHOTS!!! probably at least 57 or more
UGH! My oldest daughter just had hers done and they found out she is allergic to CATS!! But she gets a shot every 2 weeks and takes pills. I hope they just say mine are the same old ones, and I can just take my allergy meds I have been taking. They increased the dose and it seems to be working.I have been off of them for a week because of the testing , and they aren't so bad even with out meds so hopefully all is gonna be OK!! Sorry to rant but I just hadda!!!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Not much I can say about the drive and the lift.. but do you know if they use the intradermal testing or the scratch test? I work in an allergist office for 2 years and administered the injections as well as did the testing. Ask for the scratch test if you can. Its more accurate and less ouchie.

As for the shots... you'll eventually find an area that is less painful. If you can get the same nurse each time go for it... you'll get to know him/her as they will you. I had patients that would ask for me to do their injections because they liked my technique better.

Its your body. No shame in asking for what you want.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I feel for you. But it's something you have to do.

Can you bring your iPod and listen to music while they are doing the tests? Maybe that would make it more bearable?

When I have to psych myself up for something like this, I watch the part of The Lord of the Rings where Aragorn suits up for the Battle of Helm's Deep. I figure at least I know I'll come out of it alive!

Good luck!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The worst part of the whole process for me was not being able to take my allergy meds for 48 hours before the test.

On me they did the scratch test on my lower arms, and then the intradermal test on my upper arms for the things I didn't react to on the scratch test. None of it was really a full-fledged shot.

I'm not sure where you are located, but it was and continues to be a tough allergy season around here. I started shots in October and now get them every other week. I did great in the Spring, but I am not getting shots for tree pollen so I am suffering right now. If you are really that miserable, you may want to consider getting the shots. I agree with getting the same nurse each week if you do go that route. My nurse just moved
and I have to get accustomed to a new nurse.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, I feel for you. Not only do I hate doctors with a passion, but I hate driving in the city even worse! Hopefully, once you get there you will be able to find the stairs and avoid that added stress. I hope things go well for you. I agree with taking something to distract you if they have to give you that many shots. Needles don't both me to much, if I'm only getting it once. Over 50, I would be stressed too. Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck tomorrow!
I'm sure you'll be just fine!!! I was recently retested for Allergies- and it wasn't so bad at all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!! The tests weren't that bad at all!
They did the scratch test on my lower arms, and the needle ones on my upper left arm. It was just a bit ouchie. I also found stairs so I didn't need the elevator, but I did get just a bit lost driving in the city! I just made an illegal u-turn
and got back to where I needed!Next time I will know where to turn!! I do have to have the shots, once a week for a whlie then they will see how many more after the first few. The good news is I am NOT allergic to cats!!!!!
The bad news is that I am severely allergic to grasses , so bad in fact that when I have the shots I need to carry an epi-pen for the 48 hours after I get the shot because I could have a very bad reaction!!!
But they said it probably won't happen. Also I am allergic to dogs, but not really bad. So that is what happened today< Thanks for all the advice!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad it went well!
see now that wasn't so bad getting those tests now was it?

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK more whining!
I am really scared about my allergy shot on Monday. Not because of the shot itself, but because I had such a bad reaction to the testing. I had 6 hives the size of quarters on my arm after the test. That was the positive for grasses, and the hives are just now leaving!! What is the shot gonna do to me??? I have had time to brood over the possiblities and I am just worried to no end!! The "what ifs" are scaring me!!! ARRRRRRGH!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm well atleast your not allergic to cats. IM allergic to CATS and DOGS, But I still have 2 cats and 1 dog. I take allergy medicine so its all good. Im also allergic to grass and most everything outside LOL. I remember getting allergy tested, and they wouldnt let me scratch my back! It itched alot!

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Hmmmm well atleast your not allergic to cats. IM allergic to CATS and DOGS, But I still have 2 cats and 1 dog. I take allergy medicine so its all good. Im also allergic to grass and most everything outside LOL. I remember getting allergy tested, and they wouldnt let me scratch my back! It itched alot!
Yes!! it does itch alot, I could have had the ones on my back but I opted for the forearms.

Thats what ny hubby says at least I'm not allergic to my babies!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by mickey14

OK more whining!
I am really scared about my allergy shot on Monday. Not because of the shot itself, but because I had such a bad reaction to the testing. I had 6 hives the size of quarters on my arm after the test. That was the positive for grasses, and the hives are just now leaving!! What is the shot gonna do to me??? I have had time to brood over the possiblities and I am just worried to no end!! The "what ifs" are scaring me!!! ARRRRRRGH!
I had fairly large red marks for a while after my allergy testing. I know for me they did write down the size of the reaction. What normally happens is that they start off injecting you with a very low dosage. You then have to stay in the waiting room for a bit in case you have a reaction. At the next visit they will ask you what size your hive was. For my doctor if it is the size of a quarter or larger, they reduce the amount of the allergen injected. If it was less than a quarter, they slightly increase the amount of the allergen. This is considered the "buildup" phase and you go once a week for your shots. Once you reach your maintenance dose (approx 6 months) then you go every two weeks. After a bit it goes to every 3 weeks, etc. I get 4 shots at a time for cats, dust mites, ragweed and grasses. I currently go every two weeks. I was also a bit scared the first time.
If you do have a reaction, and that doesn't happen very often, they have everything right there to take care of it.

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah thats what I have heard. they told me to be sure to take my allegra the day before and the day of my injection. I also have to avoid grasses before and after too.

But tahnks fro the words of encouragement!! It made me feel alot better!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry.
The allergy test isn't that bad but when they poke you it is VERY annoying and some spots are more tender than others. You'll do okay!