What does it mean when?

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my male cats have started rubbing their teeth and gums against my skin????
It feels really weird and I have no idea why they do it.
My females have never done this.
Thanks..
Sierra

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of scent glands in their lips and gums. They are simply marking you as part of their territory. They own you now.

Have you noticed blackish marks on the edge of doors and walls about cat head height yet? Keep the cleaners handy!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awwww.....

Neither one of these guys likes to be held, so a true sign of affection from them makes me feel better.
Alex is a huge 18 lb older guy that I adopted in Sept to keep my older female from being lonely when my other cat died suddenly.
Joey is a 14 lb boy that is just about a year old. When my daughter moved back in from college she brought him with her.
All of the cats get along, but my older female, Sassy, is a lap cat love bug, and these guys are both so stand offish.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and I'll watch for the "black marks". What is that about???

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 month old female from the SPCA, OMG
she does it chronically LOL, ever since I got her 5 weeks ago, she has always jumped onto my lap...made her way too my face and let me have it ! gums n all
she is SO SO loving, I put it down to the fact she was , dumped, rescued, minimal attention , then too me. She shows her appreciation so much ! my two 3 month olds havent yet...and Shiska prolly wont, she is evil
LOL naa not really, just fiesty and a right MISS ! Wookie does my 8 month old, and his sister used too ( my special one I lost ) my 2 older boys love up against my leg but never used their mouth b4 hehe

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

Both of my male cats have started rubbing their teeth and gums against my skin????
It feels really weird and I have no idea why they do it.
My females have never done this.
Thanks..
Sierra
You're lucky if that's all they do! One of my cats also marks my glasses - while I'm wearing them!

Tricia

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic does the full on teeth and gums thing too, freaked me out the first few times he did it because he also grinds his back teeth together while he's doing it (presumably this helps release more scent from the glands!) and it was a bit disconcerting at first. Radar doesn't do it, he just goes for the normal headbutting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just love head-butt kisses

Alex has done this all along, but not often. I consider it a gift.
I'm glad to know that other people's cats do this gum thing.
Sierra