Rattlesnake!

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The guy who lives next door to us,killed a 10 button (sp) rattlesnake about 10 minutes ago,it was coming up his driveway!! My 2 grandkids,play over there all the time,with his little girl. I hate snakes,now I don't want to step outside!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! He should have caught it and taken it out to the woods.

I found this about rattlesnakes:

http://www.senecazoo.org/wonder_answer.php?id=20

Baby rattlesnakes are born with a "button" on the end of their tail that becomes the base for the rattle. As a snake grows, it sheds its skin at irregular intervals depending on factors such as age, diet and habitat conditions. a new rattlesnake segment is added each time, eventually creating a structure of interlocking horny segments. These segments buzz against each other when the disturbed snake vibrates its tail. However, end segments of the rattle tend to break off when it gets very long, so this is not a way to determine a snake's age.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People always seem to kill first. I can understand your concerns about the children obviously, but why is it always the first option to kill something rather try to relocate it? They're becoming endangered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only do both of us have kids ,but animals,
my kitten who is a year old would try to play with it,so would both of our dogs,his and mine
. The snake was trying to bite a man who was joging along the road.

.all around us is woods,if they stay in the woods,we would leave them alone.It is when they come into the yard ,WE MUST get rid of them.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand wanting to protect the children and other animals so please don't think I am being mean.

If the snake were relocated back into the woods, which are all around, chances are it wouldn't head back to the place that caused so much commotion. They probably don't reason like we do, thinking "I'll teach them! Just wait till they aren't looking and I'll get em!" There is no rattlesnake telegram/newspaper going out warning snakes to stay away from the place where 10-button Sam was just killed.

Taking it back to the woods would have been a favor. Killing doesn't accomplish anything really, except to make we humans feel better for a short while.

I know I am in the minority here when it comes to snakes and other "ickies" so I am done now

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I posted about a rattlesnake in our yard 2 weeks ago. DH and the neighbor coaxed it into a garbage can then relocated it. It was far easier than you would think.

The one in the picture looks a lot like the one we caught. It's a Timber Rattlesnake and an endangered species.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to something poisoneous I'd kill it first rather then try and relocate and get bitten. Now if it was a non-poisoneous snake (rat, king, etc.) then I would relocate it.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

People always seem to kill first. I can understand your concerns about the children obviously, but why is it always the first option to kill something rather try to relocate it? They're becoming endangered.
Yes thats always the way, people just have a natural fear of snakes, it is very sad.

Originally Posted by sherral46

. The snake was trying to bite a man who was joging along the road.
Snakes have no ears, they go by vibrations on the ground so naturally somebody jogging is going to startle the snake, thus it wants to defend itself from a possible threat.

Originally Posted by sherral46

all around us is woods,if they stay in the woods,we would leave them alone.It is when they come into the yard ,WE MUST get rid of them.
Why not relocate them rather than killing them???

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know about you guys but I wouldn't want this in my yard!

Just to give you an idea, my dad's 6'1
and yes, it tried to bite him!
It's an eastern diamondback

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh YUK! I wouldnt kill it personally. I would run screaming. IMO wild animals have just as much right to be there too. We are the ones who are incrouching on their home. My dad used to catch any snake in a bucket and drive them way out into the woods and release them if it was a venomous snake. If it wasnt he just let it be.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Oh YUK! I wouldnt kill it personally. I would run screaming. IMO wild animals have just as much right to be there too. We are the ones who are incrouching on their home. My dad used to catch any snake in a bucket and drive them way out into the woods and release them if it was a venomous snake. If it wasnt he just let it be.
Your dad sounds like a good guy. My father would have killed it just because he could and then strutted around the neighborhood showing it off. Not a nice guy

Your dad want to adopt an 42 yr old?

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have rattlesnakes too. If they are in my yard, I kill them. Same with copperheads and cottonmouths. They have the potential to kill me and I am not spending my time trying to trap one and relocate him.... That is silly if you live in snake country...

If I'm in the woods and see one, I go the other way.... That is their environment.

But in my yard, ............ I kill them. I dont' blame the woman. Kids have to be safe playing in their own yard...

And I don't have a fear of snakes. I grew up in rattlesnake country in west tx... We killed them so we would not get bit and so that we would be safe..... We fenced our yard and our dogs let us know if one got in. Sometimes the dogs got bit....... but we always killed the snake.

I have a crippled uncle from a copperhead bite...... It said it struck like a sewing machine needle...... He nearly died. They saved two of his fingers.

He killed the snake that bit him waiting on the paramedics. It was in his yard.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Your dad sounds like a good guy. My father would have killed it just because he could and then strutted around the neighborhood showing it off. Not a nice guy

Your dad want to adopt an 42 yr old?
LOL I could ask him but since hes only a few years older I dont know what he would say. LOL He is a pretty good guy though.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

LOL I could ask him but since hes only a few years older I dont know what he would say. LOL He is a pretty good guy though.
Ah well, had to give it a shot

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

I have rattlesnakes too. If they are in my yard, I kill them. Same with copperheads and cottonmouths. They have the potential to kill me and I am not spending my time trying to trap one and relocate him.... That is silly if you live in snake country...

If I'm in the woods and see one, I go the other way.... That is their environment.

But in my yard, ............ I kill them. I dont' blame the woman. Kids have to be safe playing in their own yard...

And I don't have a fear of snakes. I grew up in rattlesnake country in west tx... We killed them so we would not get bit and so that we would be safe..... We fenced our yard and our dogs let us know if one got in. Sometimes the dogs got bit....... but we always killed the snake.

I have a crippled uncle from a copperhead bite...... It said it struck like a sewing machine needle...... He nearly died. They saved two of his fingers.

As long as your careful and keep your eyes open you dont have to worry about them. Where I lived as a kid we had tons of rattlesnakes. My dad would always go out first check everywhere for them and then once he caught the ones that were there he would take off with them. Sometimes he let us go with him but most of the time he said he didnt want us to get hurt so he left us at home. You just have to be careful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Thank you for understanding,Like I said if I see it in the woods I just walk the other way. But in my yard it's a dead sucker!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly question, but to those who say they'd kill the snake first and ask questions later... do none of you realize that by getting that close you're potentially risking getting bit? This is how many people do get bit.

If you know it's venomous, leave it alone or call someone who knows how to properly handle and capture snakes, and is licensed to do so. Depending on state laws, in some places just touching the snake or any wildlife, even just to move it is illegal (it's considered 'molesting'), which makes killing it very much illegal too. I'm not sure about this board's stance on people admitting to illegal activity...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, enough with the 'I killed a snake' thread people. I know a lot of you are going to get p.o.'ed at me for saying that. But killing an animal, any animal is nothing to be proud of... that is unless you're going to eat it, which I doubt anyone is.