Kitten wont eat

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The 2 month old kitten we adopted yesterday wont eat or drink anything. We gave her the same thing she is use to eating. We put her by the dish, but she just walks away. Will she eat or drink when she is ready? Does anyone have any suggestions?

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IBelongInTheZoo

The 2 month old kitten we adopted yesterday wont eat or drink anything. We gave her the same thing she is use to eating. We put her by the dish, but she just walks away. Will she eat or drink when she is ready? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Try something that smells good, such as tuna ... it should raise his appetite imo

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna may work, just go easy on that...just a tiny bit.

She's probably just scared and overwhelmed. I would suggest setting her up in one room, with food, water, and litter. Access to the whole house can be overwhelming for a baby. Put the litter at the opposite end of the room from her food, as they don't like to eat where they potty.

One trick that may help is lots of love. Momma cats will lick the top of the babies heads to get them to eat. You don't have to lick her, though LOL
. Just lots of petting if she seems receptive to that (if she's not frightened). I notice that most of my adult cats still get hungry after they get lots of attention...the association never goes away (love/hunger).

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that doesn't work you may need to get KMR, and if he wont lap that up himself, force feed him with a Meduim syringe (no needle of course), if your not comfortable with that idea and kitty doesn't eat the warm tuna-vet time.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

One trick that may help is lots of love. Momma cats will lick the top of the babies heads to get them to eat. You don't have to lick her, though LOL
. Just lots of petting if she seems receptive to that (if she's not frightened). I notice that most of my adult cats still get hungry after they get lots of attention...the association never goes away (love/hunger).
That's very interesting! I have noticed that my cats often go to the food bowl after lots of attention and petting, but I didn't know why.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome, if you need anything else, don't heasitate.

Very seldom does and cat refuse tuna, and when one does, you KNOW that they feel like absolute crap. In fact that is usually my test to see if I need to take them to the vet when one isn't acting right.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Awesome, if you need anything else, don't heasitate.

Very seldom does and cat refuse tuna, and when one does, you KNOW that they feel like absolute crap. In fact that is usually my test to see if I need to take them to the vet when one isn't acting right.
You haven't met our cats then. Neither of our cats will eat tuna or anything with fish in it.