Attention contact lens wearers!!!!!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many of you knew this or not, but I just found out Friday. A few weeks ago when I was doing some shopping at Wal Mart, I knew my bottle of contact lens solution was starting to run low and that I needed to buy some more. I tried to buy some of the contact solution that I use, only to discover that they were out.
This past Friday, I tried again....again, they were out. I asked a store employee and she mentioned something about a recall. I told her that I knew there was a recall on Bausch & Lomb solution, but that's all I had heard about. Later, I went to a drug store to try to buy some....they were out too!
I asked the store manager about it and she didn't know anything. So when I came home, I looked it up on the internet and discovered that the contact solution I use, which is called Complete Moisture Plus, was recalled back in May due to an infection that can cause blindness. I've been using this stuff for well over a month since the recall since I heard absolutely NOTHING about it in the news. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else who may use this contact solution and didn't know about it.

laurieb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work at Target and ours was pulled from the shelves right away. How scary!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up.
I had to change from Bausch & Lomb to Opti free Express. On my last eye exam they found out I was allergic to Bausch & Lomb and that was why my eyes hurt all the time. Well geez, it's the only thing Id'd been using for YEARS and just this time someone tells me that I'm allergic to it!? So ever since then my eyes have been fine and haven't bothered me once.

That worries me that noone bothered to say anything about a recall on eye solution.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I inadvertantly solved the need to use contact lens solution by changing to Focus Day & Night contact lenses. I wear them 24/7 for a month, then change them! Only problem is that they're more expensive...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeesh! I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully, since you've only been using it a short amount of time, you'll be fine. If you're worried, you could always call your optometrist's office and speak with someone there about your concerns. Good luck!

As far as what I use, I've been using OPTI-FREE® RepleniSH® since I got my new contact lenses because my eye Dr. said it was the only solution I should use for the new lenses. So far, so good!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to wear contacts, and for some reason everytime I wore them one day my eyes became red and watery and very painful, I couldnt even open my eyes. I was told to NOT wear contacts, but by that time my vision was soooooo messed up, I couldnt even wear my glasses for the longest time, everything was in double. I thought I would go blind. I really wish I remembered which contact solution I used then, but I dont remember. I now have something called Kerataconus(sp?) and I cant wear contacts or ever get laser eye surgery. It sucks. Atleast now I only see a little bit of double.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wear 2 week disposables. I usually keep them in longer though.

I do not use contact solution. Once I put them in, they stay in until it's time to throw them away.

My eye doctor hates me for this, but I have never had a problem. lol.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Breal my husband used to wear the 2 week disposable contacts. Did real well with them for 5 yrs. Until bam one day he had many many recurring eye infections. No matter the meds or drops they gave him things would only go good for 2 weeks then get bad again. The last time about a month ago he could not see. He missed work, drove him back and to to the eye doctor. Now he is back to glasses. And he will never go back to contacts.

BTW he did use solution the Opti free Express type.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

I wear 2 week disposables. I usually keep them in longer though.

I do not use contact solution. Once I put them in, they stay in until it's time to throw them away.

My eye doctor hates me for this, but I have never had a problem. lol.
You only have 1 pair of eyes your entire life, I wouldnt do anything stupid by not cleaning them just because "everything has been fine so far".

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I have heard people talking about is suddenly becoming allergic to their contacts. One girl wore hers for 15 years with no problems. Then one day she developed an allergy to them. She got some thick flim that developed over her eye with the contact in. Bad bad bad. She no longer wears them she wears glasses but its something to remember.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

You only have 1 pair of eyes your entire life, I wouldnt do anything stupid by not cleaning them just because "everything has been fine so far".
Nothing terrible has happened. If my eye doctor told me I was going to go blind because of it. I wouldn't do it.

While my doctor would prefer I take them out, it's definately not going to jeopordize my eye sight she told me this and she wasn't the first one. Which, lol..Because of the subject of this thread. Peoples eye sight was jeopordized because they use contact solution from taking their contacts out.

Everything you do in life is a risk. I have been doing this for 6 years. So far so good.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Probably Breal76 was talking about the kind you are supposed to leave in, day and night.

Another heads-up: don't ever "mix" contact solutions... If you use soft contacts, you shouldn't change solution brands unless you start a fresh pair with the new brand.

This was a pain with the Complete recall because I had just put a fresh pair in, and had to throw them out when I was forced to buy a new brand of solution.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I NOW have Keratoconus(I can never spell it lol), my corneas are misshaped, so i'd have to wear HARD lenses now, I tried them.....well....tried to try them, the doctor put them in, and I couldnt open my eye, I dont get how people can wear those, omg. Either way now im stuck with glasses forever.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are all Bausch & Lomb solutions not good to use? I use the gentle kind called Sensitive Eyes Plus. Is there a different brand that is better?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped wearing contacs 4 years ago now, I think. I developed some kind of problem with them. They always feel like there is something on them, my eyes get all red and sore and watery. I tried them again a year ago. Same problem even with contacs my doctor swears are perfectly fit to my eye. So I wear glasses now.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

Are all Bausch & Lomb solutions not good to use? I use the gentle kind called Sensitive Eyes Plus. Is there a different brand that is better?
It was only a problem with this particular solution - there were a few cases of bacterial contamination found. The other types do not have the same composition.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used that brand you mentioned until they announced the recall on the news back in may. After that I switched to Opti-Free Express "lasting comfort no rub" and oh my goodness.... i LOVE it!!!! It is really gentle on my eyes (i have bad eye allergies & chronic dry eye) and instead of it drying my eyes out after a short amount of time - it keeps them moist all day long. You should give it a try! It is the best solution i've used in a long time!!