Is this "technically" an emergency?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michael and I came home from the movies last night and found out the outlet that has all of our media stuff on it wasn't working. I checked out surge box, and none of the switched were flipped.

Should I call the maintenance people and have them fix it today or should I wait for Monday?

I'd really like to watch a movie today...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try plugging something else into the outlet to see if its the outlet??
You can look very carefully to see if you see any burnt areas around the plug in areas of the outlet. Do your media items work in another outlet??
It just might be that a wire came loose and needs to be tightened or the outlet itsself might need to be replaced (a very easy and quick job for a maintenance person) Do all your other outlets wotk in the immediate area that might be on the same circuit??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Did you try plugging something else into the outlet to see if its the outlet??
You can look very carefully to see if you see any burnt areas around the plug in areas of the outlet. Do your media items work in another outlet??
It just might be that a wire came loose and needs to be tightened or the outlet itsself might need to be replaced (a very easy and quick job for a maintenance person) Do all your other outlets wotk in the immediate area that might be on the same circuit??
They came up and found a loose connection in the outlet. Thank goodness that's all that it was. I thought we may have had a mouse in our wall that had chewed through the wires.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

They came up and found a loose connection in the outlet. Thank goodness that's all that it was. I thought we may have had a mouse in our wall that had chewed through the wires.
Yikes, that can be very dangerous! Those little buggers can start fires. I'm glad they got it fixed.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad they fixed it. I found that it's better to get something like that looked at ASAP because of the potential for fires. It's not normal for a plugin to work one minute and not the next.

I had something similar happen to me about 6 months after I moved in here, but it was with my deep freezer.

I had invited someone over for dinner and when I went to get my frozen veggies out of the deep freezer the inside was warm and smelled and everything was defrosted!!!!

I cleaned it out and called the freezer company to come and check out the freezer as it was under warranty. I figured the compressor had gone on it. The guy spent an hour looking at it and couldn't find anything wrong. He then asked me for a lamp. I thought he was crazy, but he plugged in the lamp and it would go on and then off and on and off.

Turns out it was a loose connection in the wall outlet.

I lost over $500.00 worth of frozen foods (which I got the company to reimburse me for), but I was fortunate that that was all that happened. Shorts like that can cause fires.