sore chin

crisxapple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat sometimes gets a sore on her chin from licking herself too much. it has happened before but it goes away. is there something i can put on her chin? should i try brushing her more? she does not like to be brushed anywhere besides her head and upper back, sometimes i can brush elsewhere whenever she is distracted. She was shaved a few months ago too (because of knots she wouldn't let me get on her tummy!)

But anyways, is there something i can put on the sore?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Do you use plastic food or water dishes? The only time that has happened to one of mine it was because she was allergic to plastic. The vet recommended stainless steel and she hasn't had any trouble since I changed to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crisxapple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it is actually a glass container..and then there is a paper plate. But i am pretty sure it is her licking herself too much because it comes to the point where i try to distract her so she gets a break from it.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is black stuff forming on the chin? If so, then it's feline acne. It can be treated by brushing with a soft toothbrush and washing with slightly diluted Hydrogen Peroxide solution or using non alcohol stridex pads.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crisxapple

it is actually a glass container..and then there is a paper plate. But i am pretty sure it is her licking herself too much because it comes to the point where i try to distract her so she gets a break from it.
My first thought would be feline acne which is most often caused by using plastic bowls/placemats. The plastic gets scratches in the surface which holds bacteria.

You say you are using glass - is that glass or do you mean ceramic? Ceramics can also get hairline cracks which hold bacteria which in turn can cause the acne. I also assume you are changing paper plates every time you feed and don't use the same one twice.

I bought a number of stainless steel feeding bowls at the dollar store so that I can use a clean dish for each feeding and the dirty ones are put in the dishwasher for a good cleaning and sterilization.

As for the hydrogen peroxide, ensure it is diluted as full strength it will burn the tissue around the sore and do more harm than good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crisxapple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

Is black stuff forming on the chin? If so, then it's feline acne. It can be treated by brushing with a soft toothbrush and washing with slightly diluted Hydrogen Peroxide solution or using non alcohol stridex pads.
no it isn't black. it's red

i can try to take a picture of it today if that might help with any suggestions?