Curious.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this is a cat site, but theres a lot of women here and I thought I might as well ask because I am curious about birth control....

I heard you are protected against pregnancy while on the placebo (reminder) pills, and if this is true, then why does it say you are at a higher risk of getting pregnant if you miss a pill?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you are still protected during the 7 days you are taking the "reminder" pill. The pill doesn't contain any hormones, it's just to keep you in the habit of taking a pill everyday so you don't forget any and they allow you to get a forced period during the week off of the actual birth control pill.

Bascially with birth control pills you are on them for 21 days, and off of them for 7 days.

Back when I was on the birth control pill, most had only 3 weeks of pills to take, then you were off pills for a week during which time a period happened, and then you had to remind yourself to restart taking them again in 7 days.

You don't have to take those reminder pills over that 7 days if you don't want to, and if you miss one of those that's no big deal. The important pills are the other ones that you take for 21 days: those are the ones that contain hormones that prevent pregnancy. It's those pills that you don't want to miss a day of because you need to keep a certain level of hormones in your blood otherwise you will ovulate and could end up getting pregnant. If you do stop taking those reminder pills, make darn sure you mark on your calendar when to take the next actual birth control pill (the 8th day after your last one) or you will find yourself with an unplanned pregnancy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
7 reminder pills? WOW. Mine only has 4, and they are brown and contain iron.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

7 reminder pills? WOW. Mine only has 4, and they are brown and contain iron.
Hmm, interesting. All the ones I've seen had 7 reminder pills. At any rate, if they contain iron, you should take them
Because your body sheds blood and blood contains iron so it's a good idea to take iron pills.

They don't contain birth control hormones though, so if you miss one that's ok. It's all of the rest of the pills that you have to worry about not missing!

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
If I were you I would continue to take all the pills you said 4 are iron pills well thats a good thing then no need to have to stop this way you won't forget to take it .
The pill isn't 100% safe each women is different some can miss 1 to 2 pills and get pregnant there are all kinds of stories so if you are not ready for that bundle of joy then stick to taking all the pills

Better safe then sorry

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I do take all the pills, always on time. I was just wondering if you could get pregnant while on the reminder pills and you do it unprotected.

I take Loestrin 24fe btw

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this but it has been awhile for me .....

From what I remember you will not because the way the cycle works is you should have your period that last week .... I'm confused because you said yours are a 4 day in my day we called them sugar pill

anyway I had a 7 day or maybe a 5 day what ever the case I never stopped taking them and it worked out for me . So I would say you should be safe unless you have just started them? If so I would use protection . When in doubt you can call Dr's office and ask or your Insurance might have a 24 hr hot line like ask a nurse.
I hope this is helpful

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah ive been on the pill for a year now. Its 4 iron pills. Its not 7 because this pill makes it so you only have a 3 day period (woo hoo lol).

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW.......cool where were they when I took the pill

Well I guess then your safe. Do you have ask a nurse or something like that there ? They can be very helpful with any question you might have .

Good Luck and don't have to much fun....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have polycystic ovary syndrome and because I tend to get benign cysts on my ovaries from time to time, my body's hormones fluctuate. Sometimes I don't get a period of a whole year, other times I get one every month like clockwork, and sometimes I only get a period 1 or 2 times a year. A few are really, really bad IE: hemmorage, while others are only 1/2 day long and some are normal. And sometimes I have horrible (lay in the fetal position) cramps, and other times none.

I was on birth control for years just to regulate me. However, as I got older I became a higher risk and now I'm not a candidate for the pill at all anymore because I have a history of blood clots, which is a huge risk factor with birth control....especially if you smoke (which I don't anymore)

I'm 45 years old and I can't wait for menopause to set it so I don't have to worry about it at all anymore

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yeah ive been on the pill for a year now. Its 4 iron pills. Its not 7 because this pill makes it so you only have a 3 day period (woo hoo lol).
I have never taken the reminder pills. Mine don't contain anything good for me anyway. I take mine for 3 months and then am off for 7 days. That is very nice!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanna put one side note in here. BC is only 99% effective same with condoms. I became pregnant with my 1st son on depo and my sister became pregnant when she had an IUD in. I am glad you take BC but if you are having relations use double protection BC and a condom.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Just wanna put one side note in here. BC is only 99% effective same with condoms. I became pregnant with my 1st son on depo and my sister became pregnant when she had an IUD in. I am glad you take BC but if you are having relations use double protection BC and a condom.
The whole point of going on BC is so you DONT have to use condoms. And condoms are NOT 99% effective like BC is, id never trust a condom. I trust my birth control, I was only wondering if im protected for the 4 placebo days and I found out I am.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are tons of types of birth control nowadays (which is good because the first kind I took made me very ill). There are still birth controls with the 7-day placebos and some with the 4-day placebos. I actually just started taking the same birth control as you, and switched from a Loestrin 7-day placebo bc.

The iron (Fe) is actually a really good idea, since it's purpose is probably to help make sure you don't lose a significant amount of iron when you are on your period and become anemic. That being said, it's probably fine for you to skip some or all of the placebos unless your gynocologist feels you have a problem with anemia.

Also, I seriously urge you to use condoms or another form of birth contol along with your birth control pills. No, condoms are not 100% effective and neither are birth control pills, which is why you should always use more than one. Birth control pills cannot protects you from any STDs at all. You may say that you trust your fiance, however I just read a Savage Love column, where it says that you can actually get some forms of the HPV virus while still being a virgin.

I also know of a situation where a girl was correctly taking birth control pills every day and still got pregnant because the dosage she was using was had become too low for her and she hadn't realized it.

Tricia

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was only wondering if im protected for the 4 placebo days
Yes, you are. Even on the 7 day placebo's, you are still protected.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah lol so condoms = no
You can still get pregnant if your just on birth control & not using any other sort of protection. I know people that have- girls that take their BC daily, never miss a pill, and didnt use condoms or anything else, and now have a child.

Its possible.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

You can still get pregnant if your just on birth control & not using any other sort of protection. I know people that have- girls that take their BC daily, never miss a pill, and didnt use condoms or anything else, and now have a child.

Its possible.
Yes, and its also possible to still get pregnant if your on BC and also wear a condom, slim chance, but its possible. I dont see the need for a condom when BC is suppose to elimnate the need for that...I dont know many people who would go on BC and also use condoms.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Um silly question. How is it placebo/non active pills can still keep you protected..but if you miss one or more active ones, you risk getting pregnant? That does not make sense. They are just sugar pills so im a little confused.

Btw about the condom comment. If you do not wish to abstain from sex, doctors DO recommend using condoms if you are not on the pill, if they were a load of crap they would not recommend it. There is a failure rate with anything you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.