The Great Bug Hunt

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Does your kitty go on "Great Bug Hunts"?

Zoey does.

Every.

Single.

Night.

It really is funny! We turn out all the lights in the house at night, due to the moths and these weird little flying wasp-looking bugs, that don't sting. It used to be really bad here... like in the bunkhouse, after the first 2 months of "bug season", if you didn't go in and vacuum, the Millers (moths) would be eight inches deep on the floor, dead. That is no exaggeration- it was like out of a SciFi movie! Now, we have our own personal exterminator!
She has sooooo much fun! We turn out all the lights in the house, except for the TV, and the desk lamp. There must be 40 Millers in here right now, and Zoey is having the time of her life!
She kills, and sometimes eats them. She loves it! It's great, gives Meowmy a break from having to wear the Zo-Zo monster out before bedtime.
And she has an audience too... Every time she catches one, she looks up at me expectantly and trills (she is half Siamese, therefore is extremely vocal). I have to say "Good girl, Zoey! You get that bug! That's a beauty!"
[[Sometimes I feel like Steve Irwin *RIP*!!!
]]

Anybody else have any kitties that go every night on their "Great Bug Hunts"??
[/font]

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny, I hate bugs indoors! Maia does have the kit-tuition of bugs in the home and it will be obvious when she has found one or hunting one. I of course have to be sure it is destroyed since the thought of something crawling on me in my sleep completely erks me! Although sometimes I find them and bring her attention to them!
We help each other out!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
We always say "Ollie the buggie hunter" (as in Dog the bounty hunter, haha) he doesnt have as much opportunity that we're back living with my parents right now (my mom's a freak about not letting bugs in the house) but bugs were frequent in my apartment and it was Oliver's duty to hunt, squish, kill and eat them.... I can't count the number of times I've seen him with spider legs hangin out of his mouth, haha... he likes to watch bugs through the sliding screen door and will beg to be put in his harness to go out and hunt and eat grass lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I wake up and find bugs in my bed, really nasty, but true. They are so bad, that they fly in my bed and I find little bodies and heads in there...
It's not that gross, but I'm not too keen on sleeping with bugs! I have a "Princess Canopy" that, being the redneck I am, I have renamed "The Mosquito Net". It keeps the bugs out, but Zoey likes having free roam of the house and if it isn't open, she attacks the poor net! It already has snags all over it from sharp little claws! So there's no avoiding the nasty critters... She has helped our massive bug population though! We must have 200 bugs in the house, they are taking over!
[/font]

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I wake up and find bugs in my bed, really nasty, but true. They are so bad, that they fly in my bed and I find little bodies and heads in there...
It's not that gross, but I'm not too keen on sleeping with bugs! I have a "Princess Canopy" that, being the redneck I am, I have renamed "The Mosquito Net". It keeps the bugs out, but Zoey likes having free roam of the house and if it isn't open, she attacks the poor net! It already has snags all over it from sharp little claws! So there's no avoiding the nasty critters... She has helped our massive bug population though! We must have 200 bugs in the house, they are taking over!
[/font]
I wouldn't call that being a redneck! I think they were originally called "mosquito nets", and it's only been recently that they've been given a "prettier" name.

My kitties aren't very good at hunting, but my mom's friend's cat really is. I actually feel pretty bad for the bugs. She plays with them and bats them around and then will reach down and bite off a leg, all while the poor things are still living! What a sadistic little creature!

Tricia

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I breed mealworms for my reptiles, so Tomas doesn't have to look very hard to find an insect.
I'm usually shooing him away from my beetle tub/drawer, telling him to quit staring at them.
I also have problems with meal moths, no amount of traps has helped. Unfortunately, completely sealing up their food source (the meal worms bedding and food) is not an option.
So Tomas gets to chase moths too, he's no good at catching them through.
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

It's not that gross, but I'm not too keen on sleeping with bugs!
Moths, mosquitoes, and flies are nothing! I've keep finding scorpions in my bed and I've had a centipede crawl across my face one night (somehow I knew exactly what it was by the feel of it). It can making sleeping some nights a little unnerving.

And it's interesing that you call the moths, Millers. I'm assuming that you're referring to meal moths? It must be a regional name used because my husband calls them that too.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miller moth is the term given to any type of moth that is particularly abundant in and around homes. A generic term.

My Zoey is also a bug cat. We lave a couple of lights on at night until my daughter gets home from work. Zoey has her spots picked out to watch for bugs.
And when we let the dogs outside, Zoey is right there to see if any bugs sneak in. I'm surprised she doesn't have a sore neck do to her head jerking back and forth looking for the bugs.
We are due to have a horrible mosquito season due to all of the rain we've received. I hope Zoey is a good mosquito cat too.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stanley will find the smallest little flying bugs to chase (these are the ones that slip through the holes in the screen)! It's very funny, he's soo serious about it...my great gray hunter

Sometimes he will find something bigger
and bop it with his big furry paws until I come along and confiscate it with the paper towel. I wonder how many he eats when I'm not looking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]GreenBunny: I'm aware of that.
But my grandma had a fit when I called it a mosquito net. But how many people do you know who, on Sundays, spend all day roping, riding horses, and shooting shotguns?
Okay, so that's just being down-home and country, but I am a redneck, that's just not a good example.

strange_wings: okay, that would really scare me, because I am allergic to scorpion bites.
[/font]