I quit, I'm done

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never want another cat so long as I live!

Look at Dorian! He's miserable. The red lining of his eye is all puffed up & awful. It's weeping like there's no tomorrow & he won't hardly open it!

You can see just how inflammed it is, too. He's always had weepy eyes, but whatever this is, I think it might be contagious as it looks just like the P Boy's eyes.

He either:
a) got something in his eye
b) got whatever the P Boys have
c) scratched his eye
d) has herpes that bad

What do I do? Treat it? With terramycin? The eye drops the boys are on? Vetropolycin?
No emergency vet, either. I work stupid hours on Mon, but can possibly get him in to the vet.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think it is what the other cats have, and you know that it is contagiouis, I would try that med, and go to the vet if it doesn't improve.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terramycin or Vetro are what I would use, but some Vetropolycin has a steroid in it and if he scratched his eye, I believe the steroid can actually end up leading to blindness. Just make sure it is a regular opthalmic ointment.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Terramycin or Vetro are what I would use, but some Vetropolycin has a steroid in it and if he scratched his eye, I believe the steroid can actually end up leading to blindness. Just make sure it is a regular opthalmic ointment.
... ohhh poor dear

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put some terramycin in it, just so I did something. I thought about the eye drops, but they are the shelter's meds so I hate to use them unless the vet tells me to. Oh Monday cannot come soon enough!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
until you get him into the vet for an exact diagnosis- keep him isolated from all other kitties. my guess is herpes which is resulting in conjunctivits in the eyes. Until you can get him into the vet- keep terramyacin in the eyes and in betwen doses of that- give him saline drops do keep his eyes moist. Also- start him on antibiotics asap to help get this under control- what do you have at home? Cepha-drops is good (amoxi is aweful for herpes- it takes forever to work). Zitromax is the BESY imo- ask your vet about it- it can be a pinch pricy- but a little goes a long way and the bottle will last a while.

While we're on the topic of Herpes- you need to start adding L-lysine to all the kitties food to boost their immune system and help keep herpes outbreaks at bay. It REALLY helps out a lot!

Please don't give up hon or throw in the towel
I know it gets frusterating when our kitties get sick....especially when things like that become chronic. Kojak has feline herpes and he has his good days and his bad days. The only reason i have him with my other kitties is because mine have already been exposed/tested/etc. My girls are carriers and have never had an outbreak. All foster kittens are kept entirely seperate from others to protect them from it. hang in there love- it'll be ok

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're already being dosed with 150 mg of Lysine daily. I've got 8 Baytril tablets on hand....is it once a day for baytril?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

They're already being dosed with 150 mg of Lysine daily. I've got 8 Baytril tablets on hand....is it once a day for baytril?
how much does the kitty weigh? what's the strength of the indivdual tablet?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to up the lysine dose--I've heard 250 to 500 mg is more standard, especially in an outbreak. As for Baytril, I believe it is once per day now.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you feel that way, I'm sure everyone goes through that at some stage of their life, but you can't quit now. You've done so much good work for all these cats.

I used to say I never want another cat, but at some point one will miraculously come into your life and steal your heart again. Diego did that to me, apart from Neko, that is my wifes cat, I hadn't had a cat in 7 years. I didn't expect to ever have one again, Then I get Diego and then I wanna rescue strays. What I'm saying is once you have love for cats and you help them, when bad things happen you get put off, but then later that tiny spark for cats thats in your heart becomes a blazing love for them all over again.

Your doing a great job, I know it must be very hard on you. But you can do it, you have already had a huge impact in all your cats lives, Whether they are your own cats, strays or ones in a shelter.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do these things always happen on the weekends or during holidays when the vet isn't available??

i have no idea what's wrong w/ your poor guy, so I can't give any advice. But I do know that when Winchester was on Baytril for his FIP, he had to take 3/4 of a tablet twice a day. I'm not sure how much you should give your cat, b/c he doesn't look as big as Winchester is: the dosage is prescribed according the the cat's weight, and Winchester weighs 15 lbs.

I could just cry for your baby.
He looks so miserable.
And believe it or not, you will have more cats: once a cat lover, always a cat lover!
I recall saying those same words myself on more than one occasion, after I had lost one of my babies. And here I am today, w/ five indoor cats, and God only knows how many outdoor strays that I take care of: one of which just brought her kittens onto the porch!

I am sending good vibes your way..

~KK~

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Dorian. His eye must be so uncomfortable. I hope the terramycin helps. Hugs and good thoughts to Dorian.

I know how hard this is when you're also dealing with Damita's issues. It really will get better, it has to!

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
That poor baby it looks so painful if the eye is running try warm tissue to clean around the eye I know that helped my Scrappy-doo at least feel a little better till you get to the vet.

Don't give up you are doing good things and he needs you
sending prays to you

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Dorian!!

For L-Lysine, a daily maintenance dose is 500 mg per day and during flare ups, you double it. 150mg is not enough for him. This is for a normal sized adult cat.

The pills are huge so I give mine the powdered form that I get on iherb.com. A jar of it can last 1 cat over a year and I think with shipping it came to about $10. Well worth it. 500mg is 1/2 teaspoon of powder.

And Natalie, we know you better. You're done with critters when h*ll freezes over!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a cat with herpes too.

I always keep the vetropolycin on hand. That's what I would use.

Get a warm WET cotton cloth and wipe around the eye getting the obvious goop out and then coat the eye with the vetropolycin.

Do this twice a day and in a day or two it will be better.

If is is labeled Vetropolycin, it is only a mixture of bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin. It will not have steroids... This is what I would use and DO USE for mine..

Antibiotics are optional with an outbreak.

Also you can alternate using the terramycin and the vetropolycin... One a day for each.

The ointment and the lysine will help more than the antibiotics.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just so
last night! Dory, Damita, I got bad news about my former foster Figaro...

I will give Dory 1 Baytril tablet today. His eye looks a little better after 1 dose of terramycin, I need to do this morning's dose yet. And tomorrow, I will be making an extra trip 40 minutes away before work....
That's like the 3rd time in a week I've had to make an extra vet run!