Ari can Finally Jump & Run...

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ari came to me a little over a year ago as just another foster baby. Emaciated, ridden with fleas and shaking like a leaf. When the shaking didn't stop, I brought him to my personal vet. and he was diagnosed with cerebellar hypoplasia. I was told he would never be able to jump...never be able to run and his condition would never get better but possibly get worse ending in seizures. My vet. explained that this little baby had contracted CH in utero and the part of his brain that is permanently damaged controls motor skills & coordination.

I lined his foster cage with bumpers so he wouldn't hurt himself if he fell into the cage bars, I purchased a small ferret mock-litter box for him so he could lean...which eventually grew into a cat carrier with entrance completely cut out so as a growing adult he could lean against the sides for balance...and he was taken off the adopt list...he was already home. After some research, he was given the most fitting name I could find...Ari..."Lion of God" in Hebrew.

My home became Ari-proofed...no sharp edges anywhere, a twin size mattress on the floor by my bed just in case he fell out during the night...large water & food bowls so he could peck without hurting his mouth area...and tons of love & attention.

My feline crew of 11 never played with Ari too rough somehow sensing there was something "special" about him...but instead they played with him gently groomed him and slept with him...adopting him immediately.

Ari grew into a beautiful 1-year old with determination as powerful as his name. Nature and pure will allowed those long giraffe-like legs to get him onto the first level of our two 8-feet high cat condos. An accomplishment that truly brought tears to our eyes. He zig-zagged down the hall with his brothers & sisters during play never realizing how different he really was.

2-weeks ago, I noticed Ari wasn't really present during the day. I had a family death and was in & out from early to late and figured it was just a change in routine for him. One night last week when I was cuddling him up in bed...a routine that the two of us did every night where I placed him in bed with me and he rolled & rolled and bonked & bonked until we both fell asleep...I noticed how thin he felt.

The next day I brought him to my vet. and upon examination, he immediately felt a large mass w/adhesions to Ari's intestine. Ari couldn't eat. A diagnostic surgery was discussed but this would simply be a diagnostic & risky for a CH cat...not a treatment. I asked my vet...who has been my vet. for 22-years...if this was his cat, what would he do?...he told me that he would not let any of animals suffer.

With no option, I sat in the examination room soaking Ari's fur with my pain and repeatedly told Ari what a good boy he is...how much I absolutely adored him and how proud I am of all his accomplishments over the last year.

Ari's message is clear and simple...all obstacles can be overcome with love, trust & will.

I have an inside crew of 14...I have had many feline & canine companions since I was a kid...I have fostered over 85 kittens in the last 14-months & I have cared for a feral colony for years...But...I have never had a relationship with an animal like the one I had with Ari. This was a true exchange of trust and love that was 1000% unconditional. I feel truly blessed to have experienced that unique relationship for his 1-year of life that I hope everyone at least once-in-a-lifetime can experience.

Ari...my sweet, loving, strong-willed baby can finally jump & run...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss.

You are healthy and whole now, Ari, Rest in Peace you little lion

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A beautiful tribute to a very special cat.
RIP Ari.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when you posted Ari's pictures back when you first got him. I even remember you posting a picture of him, making it up to the first level of the cat condo, and I remember how proud of him you were, when he took that giant leap of independence.

Your tribute to that very special boy has brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry he had to leave you. I KNOW how special he was. Now he can run, and jump, and climb, and play with all of the other kitties at the Bridge.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
He was a special soul and you were lucky to know him. Now he is whole and looking over you.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rest in peace precious baby

Run happily at Rainbow Bridge Ari

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness what a moving tribute

The love you have for Ari speaks volumes, and he'll know this for sure

Play happily at the bridge Ari, you were loved so much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I remember when you posted Ari's pictures back when you first got him. I even remember you posting a picture of him, making it up to the first level of the cat condo, and I remember how proud of him you were, when he took that giant leap of independence.

Your tribute to that very special boy has brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry he had to leave you. I KNOW how special he was. Now he can run, and jump, and climb, and play with all of the other kitties at the Bridge.
Thank-you for remembering those posts of mine...appreciated. I was so thrilled for him when he got to that darn level of the cat condo, I just had to post a picture of him doing it...he looked like he was truly smiling & proud. I felt like a mother watching her baby get on the "big" school bus for the first time.

I really have no words to express the loss & pain I am feeling. With his condition, I didn't think he would live his years into becoming an old man but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have this sweetheart for only 1-year. He just had his first birthday in early June.

I suppose as time marches on the tears will turn into smiles when I reflect on his short life & accomplishments but in my heart there will only be one Ari...even with the 14 I share my life with with...there is such a void & emptiness.

Thank-you for remembering Ari...a very special soul.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing Ari's story. What a sweet and special kitty he was. RIP precious Ari, and play happily.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Ari's passing. I too remember the post's with all of the remarkable things he was doing even though disabled.

RIP sweet Ari-play happily and free from any limits at the RB.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a love filled and moving tribute. I'm so sorry that Ari's time with you was so short. I will say a prayer for his sweet little soul and a prayer for you in this time of sadness.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari, you sweet boy, you are free to run and jump and play with all our kitties that have gone before you

I am so sorry for your loss, it is easy to see the impact Ari had on you

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for that VERY emotional/touching story!

You were quite proud of your baby, Ari.

May Ari run/jump now!
RIP sweetie.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your little boy Ari. He had the best life possible with you as his mom, and now he is ready for an eternity of play and all the good things he deserves.

I am sorry for your loss

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful story, I am so glad that you came into Ari's life, I am so thankful that your were there to love him, but you believed in him, so he could do the things that no one else ever thought he could.

RIP Ari

Have fun at the Bridge Ari, you are now healthy and free and can do what ever you wanna do.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what a lovely tribute for such a lovely, special boy!
to you for caring for this wonderful, wonderful kitty!