Upon watching Rear Window...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often forget how beautiful Grace Kelly was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Kelly

Also, I forgot how much suspense that movie had and how great the writing was.

I wish I could go back in time and see this film on the big screen when it opened. It seems like it would have been a great experience to see it with a whole group of people.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's funny you should mention this movie because I almost checked the DVD out of the library to watch this weekend. I'm going through an old movie phase right now. I ended up getting "Sabrina" with Audrey Hepburn instead, which was very entertaining.

I agree that Grace Kelly was gorgeous. I've never seen "Rear Window," so I'm glad to hear that you liked it. Guess what I'll be watching next weekend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

It's funny you should mention this movie because I almost checked the DVD out of the library to watch this weekend. I'm going through an old movie phase right now. I ended up getting "Sabrina" with Audrey Hepburn instead, which was very entertaining.

I agree that Grace Kelly was gorgeous. I've never seen "Rear Window," so I'm glad to hear that you liked it. Guess what I'll be watching next weekend?
It's such a fun movie. I just love it.

Have you ever seen To Catch a Thief? That's just as good, and it's filmed in Monaco.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Rear Window has always been one of my favorite films, and you're right, she was gorgeous. Maybe you'll be able to see it at a Hitchcock festival some time.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

It's such a fun movie. I just love it.

Have you ever seen To Catch a Thief? That's just as good, and it's filmed in Monaco.
I've heard of it, but haven't seen it. Will definitely add that to my list.

Have you seen Laura, with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews? That's the other one I got for this weekend.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I've heard of it, but haven't seen it. Will definitely add that to my list.

Have you seen Laura, with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews? That's the other one I got for this weekend.
No, but it sounds good... I'll have to put that on my Netflicks.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, but it sounds good... I'll have to put that on my Netflicks.
I'll let you know if it's any good. It's described as a "smart and sparkling" thriller.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the other Hitchcock... oh, I think it's called "Rope!" It was shot in just a few very long segments, almost like a play, and the edits are very subtle, taking place when someone crosses close in front of the camera, so you hardly notice them. Very creative filmmaking.

And of course, my all-time favorite Hitchcock: "North By Northwest!" Cary Grant! Trains, planes, and Mount Rushmore! Great picture...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm amazed at how well Hitchcock could build suspense. Another one I like (though not as much) is "Dial M for Murder". Another Hitchcock/Kelly pairing.

I did like "Laura" also.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hitchcock apparently liked to work with certain actors over and over again, like Grace Kelly, Cary Grant,Tippi Hedren (The Birds, Marnie), and James Stewart (Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo). Our basic cable package is supposed to be altered in September to include TCM (Turner Classic Movies), so I'm hoping to be able to watch all the old Hitchcock films again. I just hope we'll get the original versions, and not the ones dubbed in German. I hate dubbed films.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Hitchcock apparently liked to work with certain actors over and over again, like Grace Kelly, Cary Grant,Tippi Hedren (The Birds, Marnie), and James Stewart (Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo). Our basic cable package is supposed to be altered in September to include TCM (Turner Classic Movies), so I'm hoping to be able to watch all the old Hitchcock films again. I just hope we'll get the original versions, and not the ones dubbed in German. I hate dubbed films.
Oh, I forgot you lived in Germany. If you need movies shipped over that aren't dubbed I'm sure we can work something out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I'm amazed at how well Hitchcock could build suspense. Another one I like (though not as much) is "Dial M for Murder". Another Hitchcock/Kelly pairing.

I did like "Laura" also.
"Dial M for Murder" was the very first book I ever read that was not part of school itinerary. Our English Teacher had dozens of shelves in his office with all kinds of books and he always said that we could borrow any of them whenever we wanted. I can't recall why I selected that book, but I know he was quite surprised that I had because it was years above me. I think I was in grade 7 or something. I've read it several times since and I still enjoy it each time.

I saw the movie after that and loved it just as much.

"A Perfect Murder" starring Michael Douglas is a remake of that book/movie, but while it was good it doesn't compare to the original.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I often forget how beautiful Grace Kelly was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Kelly

Also, I forgot how much suspense that movie had and how great the writing was.

I wish I could go back in time and see this film on the big screen when it opened. It seems like it would have been a great experience to see it with a whole group of people.
Yes, she was very beautiful!

I loved that movie too.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rear Window is one of those movies that if I catch it flipping through channels I'll immediately get caught up in it! I love Jimmy Stewart!

Tricia

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Rear Window is one of those movies that if I catch it flipping through channels I'll immediately get caught up in it! I love Jimmy Stewart!

Tricia
Jimmy Stewart was amazing in "It's a Wonderful Life". I simply love the way that man acts. He made it look so easy.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

What's the other Hitchcock... oh, I think it's called "Rope!" It was shot in just a few very long segments, almost like a play, and the edits are very subtle, taking place when someone crosses close in front of the camera, so you hardly notice them. Very creative filmmaking.

And of course, my all-time favorite Hitchcock: "North By Northwest!" Cary Grant! Trains, planes, and Mount Rushmore! Great picture...
That is one of my favorite movies along with Rear window. I don't know how many times I have seen both, but Cary Grant is one of my all time favorite actors.