Origen Vs Evo

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Which is a better food for a kitten, a senior and a young adult cat. I have a new Somuli kitten coming next friday and the cats are low on food, I have up to this point been feeding Innova evo dry. Resently I have been interested in Origen dry, its food label sounds even better then EVO. I have an idea switch them over to this new dry and feed wet evo. Any veiws, Opinions?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just switched to Orijen. It was a choice between Orijen and Evo (recommendations by Sharky) and I couldn't find Evo locally so went with Orijen. I checked out their website and I'm impressed. I'm really hoping Bijou will lose some weight on this food as it has no grains.

Sharky will probably be around soon and she's the guru on food.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty actually gained weight on EVO. Its such a high calorie food.
I hope Orijen works for you!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Orijen is supposedly 75% protein which should be a help. I already noticed they are eating less of it - I'm assuming that's because they are getting enough nutrition without eating huge amounts.

At 17.5 lbs, Bijou REALLY needs to lose weight. When the vet held him up on Saturday, he said, yes, I think you are going to have kitties any day now. Poor Bijou!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Orijen to me READS better than EVO ... I cant get any to try so no comparisons .... EVO didnt work here for cats but the dog did for a bit

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Orijen to me READS better than EVO ... I cant get any to try so no comparisons .... EVO didnt work here for cats but the dog did for a bit
I hope you can find some Sharky. I went to their website and apparently they ship worldwide so hopefully you'll get a reply from your contact with them soon and they'll send you some.
I've really noticed our kitties aren't eating as much but they both seem very content. That's good news I hope. Of course I still give them Merrick's morning and night (1/2 can to share am and pm).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Linda
I did contact them and they said maybe if they can get a distubuter here ... I will get to try some thanks to a Member of this site who is sending it to me... She can name herself if she wants

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently switched to Orijen and Serengeti. Both were a success and I just mix them equally in their food bowls. Right now I am just feeding dry. Am trying to introduce wet, but it's going slow. I will most likely stick to the Orijen/Serengeti mixture. I can't find either one locally so I have to order online.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

I have a new Somuli kitten coming next friday
I would find out what the breeder feeds that kitten and stick with that until the kitten is settled in. And don't forget to post pics! I can't wait to see that baby!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having fed both, Orijen wins as far as my boys. Their coats seem slightly silkier on EVO compared to Orijen and they love both but they will come to eat from the falling stream of food when I am pouring out their Orijen compared to just rushing to the bowl for EVO so they obviously like it better. But nutritionally, my vet and I prefer it, especially with two senior cats (and they still all have amazing coats anyway, just slightly nicer on EVO).

Both are quite high calorie so you need to discuss the nutritional needs of your cat. Some (many) will eat as much as you give them and with a food like EVO or Orijen can be getting a lot more calories and nutrients than they need.

We feed much less food, and we do measure it out even though they free feed) with both Orijen and EVO than the lower calorie 'premium' brands that have less protein (not 'diet' foods just 'regular' foods that are not as calorie packed as the high protein ones are).

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Orijen is supposedly 75% protein which should be a help. I already noticed they are eating less of it - I'm assuming that's because they are getting enough nutrition without eating huge amounts.

At 17.5 lbs, Bijou REALLY needs to lose weight. When the vet held him up on Saturday, he said, yes, I think you are going to have kitties any day now. Poor Bijou!
Poor Bijou!

Originally Posted by kittylover77

As I mentioned above, as did Yosemite, you need to feed much less by working out the nutritional needs of your cat and giving them JUST that amount because they will over eat

The bag recommendations are for an active cat at a healthy weight

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Linda
I did contact them and they said maybe if they can get a distubuter here ... I will get to try some thanks to a Member of this site who is sending it to me... She can name herself if she wants
They are quite good about trying to satisify potential customers. When we first tried Orijen, it was a small tester bag we got at a shelter's fair and we went looking for it and ended up having to buy it in Toronto. I emailed them about closer distributors and spoke to some local stores about the possibility of them stocking it and less than a month later it was available at a local store. Now it is available in 3 stores.

I had also emailed them about larger bags and this time I found our local store had a 7kg bag waiting for me (hidden in the back too so I would get the first one). They said it has been very popular here recently and gave me the bag free for all the extra customers they get just from stocking the Orijen line!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently feeding Royal Canin and happy with that, but I am very tempted to try the Orijen when we next place an order as it does look great. It is so expensive here though! But I might try a bag to see if it is worth the extra money.