vegetable gardening help needed

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I planted a vegetable garden on my balcony a few weeks ago and so far the results vary a lot.

yellow beans and spinach haven't grown at all.

carrots haven't been doing well either. I only have one growing. (somebody kept digging up the seeds so they didn't have a chance to grow.

radishes are growing fine, but it seems to me like there is a lot of leaves for small radishes. And they don't always taste that good (some are really bland)

yellow peppers I'm not sure about. The plant has been growing, and having flowers for a couple of weeks, but none of the flowers have turned into fruits yet. Any idea why that would be?

tomatoes are growing like weeds!
However, some of the tomatoes, especially the earliest ones, are brown and dry at the bottom (the fruits, not the plants). Could it be that they're not getting enough water?
I realize now that the container I used for the tomatoes isn't quite big enough, but so far it hasn't stopped the plants from growing and bearing fruits. (the plants are both taller than the tomato cages, and they're full of green tomatoes) I water them once or twice a day, depending on the weather.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are getting a lot of leaves and not much fruit (or vegetables), it's usually because more light is needed.

Plants in containers also need to be fertilized well. You might start with starter plants if you are having problems with the seeds being eaten. The tomato leaves will wilt if they are too dry - I wouldn't worry too much about the bottoms right now.

This is a good forum that has a section on container gardening.

http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/

Good luck!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advise to you......

Originally Posted by marie-p

I planted a vegetable garden on my balcony a few weeks ago and so far the results vary a lot.

yellow beans and spinach haven't grown at all.

You can replant both of these however spinach likes cooler temps so you might want to wait until it cooler (like september!!)

carrots haven't been doing well either. I only have one growing. (somebody kept digging up the seeds so they didn't have a chance to grow.

Carrot seeds are really tiny and barely need to be covered by soil-you can replant these too!!

radishes are growing fine, but it seems to me like there is a lot of leaves for small radishes. And they don't always taste that good (some are really bland)

You can replant these too but they like cooler temps so wait on these.

yellow peppers I'm not sure about. The plant has been growing, and having flowers for a couple of weeks, but none of the flowers have turned into fruits yet. Any idea why that would be?

Peppers take quite some time to produce fruit-its still pretty early for fruit yet give it another month!!

tomatoes are growing like weeds!
However, some of the tomatoes, especially the earliest ones, are brown and dry at the bottom (the fruits, not the plants). Could it be that they're not getting enough water?
I realize now that the container I used for the tomatoes isn't quite big enough, but so far it hasn't stopped the plants from growing and bearing fruits. (the plants are both taller than the tomato cages, and they're full of green tomatoes) I water them once or twice a day, depending on the weather.

Pick off the lower stems/branches on the tomato plants. Many are suseptible to disease and water splashes on the lower branches cause disease to spread. They are heavy feeders too so fertilize with a tomato or veggie fertilizer.

All you container veggies should be fertilized every couple of weeks at watered at the base of the plants daily-more in hot weather.