Cat Tail Problem?

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am brand new to this thread...

I joined because I am so nervous about my cat. He is and 8 year old usually very playful and active.

The 4th of July has always been a tough day for him, he gets nervous hearing the fireworks and usually runs under the bed and stays there until the noise stops. This year was no different... except we had a really bad thunderstorm from midnight until morning... He stayed under the bed all day and night.

The next day, he was walking around with his tail tucked between his back legs... very unusual for him, but I figured it was because of the fireworks & storm the day before.

Today is Friday... his tail is still between his legs and now kind of curling up towards his stomach. He has been hiding out in the corner of the basement, behind the couch or up in a room where nobody is... I havent seen him lift his tail since Wednesday. When he does have to get up, he walks in very slowly and cautiously.

I called him to eat, and its possible its my imagination, but i think he is even walking funny... He is eating and going to the bathroom fine... but has no interest in me, no interest in his toys... not even in his favorite snacks.

His normal sleep habit is to sleep in the bed with me... Last nite i had to carry him in, where he did fall asleep, but when I woke up this morning, he was once again in the corner of the basement. I called him to eat and he didnt come... I had to go downstairs and carry him up & put him in front of his food... again this is very odd since he LOVES meal time...

I dont know where or how he could have injured himself... He hasnt cried and there is nothing swollen on his body that I can see... I just dont know whats wrong.

I called the vet to make an appointment, but they didnt see any urgency since he was eating and going to the bathroom... so my appointment isnt until Tuesday..

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie.1106

Hi I am brand new to this thread...

I joined because I am so nervous about my cat. He is and 8 year old usually very playful and active.

The 4th of July has always been a tough day for him, he gets nervous hearing the fireworks and usually runs under the bed and stays there until the noise stops. This year was no different... except we had a really bad thunderstorm from midnight until morning... He stayed under the bed all day and night.

The next day, he was walking around with his tail tucked between his back legs... very unusual for him, but I figured it was because of the fireworks & storm the day before.

Today is Friday... his tail is still between his legs and now kind of curling up towards his stomach. He has been hiding out in the corner of the basement, behind the couch or up in a room where nobody is... I havent seen him lift his tail since Wednesday. When he does have to get up, he walks in very slowly and cautiously.

I called him to eat, and its possible its my imagination, but i think he is even walking funny... He is eating and going to the bathroom fine... but has no interest in me, no interest in his toys... not even in his favorite snacks.

His normal sleep habit is to sleep in the bed with me... Last nite i had to carry him in, where he did fall asleep, but when I woke up this morning, he was once again in the corner of the basement. I called him to eat and he didnt come... I had to go downstairs and carry him up & put him in front of his food... again this is very odd since he LOVES meal time...

I dont know where or how he could have injured himself... He hasnt cried and there is nothing swollen on his body that I can see... I just dont know whats wrong.

I called the vet to make an appointment, but they didnt see any urgency since he was eating and going to the bathroom... so my appointment isnt until Tuesday..

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Well gosh...I`m sorry you have to wait so long....but do call your vet back and get an earlier appointment if he starts to have any problems with eating or the litterbox.
That`s awful if he is just that frightened.....if that`s all it ends up being then maybe next year before the 4th you might want to get some Feliway defussers to help him remain calm during the celebration days when the fireworks are going on. Poor little fellow!
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply... I really hope thats all it is... I am hoping all his eating & litterbox habits remain the same... if he would just show that he has control over his tail it would make me feel a lot better... if anything happens between today and tuesday i will post it... otherwise i will let you know what the dr says.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TSC, by the way. Sorry its under these circumstances.

Will he let you lift his tail so you can make sure nothing got hurt down there? I know you said he was using the litterbox, but is he pooing? I agree, if something changes definitely call the vet and get your appointment pushed up.

Another thing you might think about for the future. I he gets that stressed with storms, you may want to see if the vet will prescribe valium. Our Monster has seizure and has to take phenobarbital, but when we know it's going to be stressful (storms, company, etc) we also give her a 1/4 pill of valium and it really helps with her anxiety levels. Or maybe he can give you a milder sedetive...valium is pretty strong. Poor Monster is stoned for 2 days from that little pill...but she definitely isn't stressed! Just something you may want to talk to your vet about.

Good luck! I hope he's back to himself soon.

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE..

I set my alarm this morning to make sure I was up at 7am.... Again he was down in the basement in the corner...

I called the vet at 8:00 when they opened and insisted they see me today...

I just got back and it turns out he dislocated his tail about 3 inches from the head of the tail.. The only thing I can think is that during one of his constant dashes for under the bed, he must have banged it really hard.

The Dr said a splint wouldnt work and all they could do for today was give him an anti-imfamatory and pain killer.

They gave me 6 doses of pain killer and 2 doses of the anit-inflamatory to take home..

He "may" regain full use of his tail, but if it isnt back within 3 weeks they suggest amputation.

Thanks for the suggestions about the valium... I will request it from the vet since he always gets scared during thunder storms.. Hopefully it will calm his nerves & he wont feel the need to run for protection.

For now its just a wait and see time... the "fun" part will be trying to get him to take his meds... he is a master at spitting out pills no matter how long you hold his mouth closed... however this is in a liquid form... so its a whole new experience for the both of us..

I'll keep you informed... I can only hope the tail will get back to normal... If not I hope he adjusts well to being without it... he vet told me to watch out for him biting it to the point of sores... if that happens call and schedule the amputation T

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
to TCS!

that the anti-inflammatories work. Good for you insisting that the vet see him earlier than planned.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The damage is in the tail which is good (higher up causes nerve damage in the spine). I'm sure he will be fine even with a tail amputation. When we got Carly from a rescue group, I noticed that she had no control over her tail. X-Rays showed that she had had damage to her back leg and possibly her back from a long time ago. For some reason, no one ever decided to amputate. Our vet said that as long as she has good blood flow, she will be fine. She tends to whack things when she jumps down and we have to clean her bottom from time to time, but overall she does well.

Here is a picture of her, showing her tail - it just hangs there: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...arlyposing.jpg

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sebastian was seen at the vet this week for what I think is a problem with his spine. Thinking he may have twisted it some way when playing with Daphne.

Vet gave him anit-inflammitories, too and said if it wasn't better, they would have to see if there was more they could do.

Seb also received antibiotics as a precaution. Both of the meds are in liquid form and go down so much better than pills! Turns out they must be flavored because Seb will lick the syringe afterward.

Sending lots of get well vibes for your baby. It is an awful feeling when they hurt and there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the support... this is a great forum & i'm glad i found it!

After getting home from the vet, Daniels was actually feeling better... I am guessing its a combination of the drugs they gave him so hopefully he keeps his spirits up & is on the road to recovery.

The total cost for the vet was $206 which i thought was great since they took 3 xrays, gave him meds, clipped his nails & pre-filled the siringes with his medications to take home with me.. Truthfully I wouldnt have cared what it cost... I've had him since he was 4 weeks old... he was an abandoned kitty & i had to feed him cat milk thru a bottle... I'd be totally lost without him!! His brother Jack died about a year ago & I was devistated!!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had to have a tail amputation and he got through it just fine. So even if it comes to the worst, your boy will be ok. I am sorry this happened. And I am glad you trusted your instinct and got him to the vet so fast!

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today has been a hard day for Daniels.. he spent most of it under the couch.. he is so groggy with the pain meds that i really cant tell if he's getting better or not... he lifted his tail slightly on his walk to his food... but didnt hold it up for any legnth of time...

he comes out to eat and use his litterbox... but then retreats back to the safety of the couch... tomorrow i go back to work so giving him his meds in the morning should be really intersting... it took me 45 minutes to get him from under the couch tonite...

i just hope after all the meds are done he doenst feel any pain... i know i can get more, but i hate to see him so spacey!!

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
apparently a day by himself was great medicine for him!!!

when i got home from work today he walked over to the door to greet me

he actually tried to engage in some play time.. it made me so happy!!

he is still very guarded, but he is definitely feeling better... his tail isnt up yet, but he is moving the tip which is enouraging!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie.1106

apparently a day by himself was great medicine for him!!!

when i got home from work today he walked over to the door to greet me

he actually tried to engage in some play time.. it made me so happy!!

he is still very guarded, but he is definitely feeling better... his tail isnt up yet, but he is moving the tip which is enouraging!
This is wonderful!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry you and Daniels have had such a hard time. Im glad to see that he is feeling better and hopefully on his way to a full recovery.

You can also check into some more natural remedies that you can find at health food stores, called Bach's Flower Essence. There is one called Rescue Remedy that is for trauma, which it sounds like, Daniels faces with these loud noises.

There are others, too, but I would think the Rescue Remedy would work really good. There are several people on this site that has tried it as well.

My cats are terrified of the fireworks, too. I usually turn up the TV to help drown out the sound, but they can still hear them and they hide, but they are fine again once its over.

Good Luck with your baby boy, Sweetie and please keep us posted. Post some pics of him if you have any.

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK! Daniels is back to his normal self... his tail is high and proud once again
It is slighly off center, but it doesnt seem to bother him which is great!

I will definitely look into the rescue remedy since he gets just as upset with thunderstorm...

yesterday we were just sitting back watching tv when firecrackers went off again
... he ran under the bed again, and emerged about an hour later fine...

I was SO ANGRY!! I walked out the front door to see if i could see who was doing it, but unfortunately there was no one out there....

I'll post pictures of him later after work... Thanks again for all the wonderful support!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Great that Daniels is feeling better. My Lucy has problems with firecrackers and thunderstorms. Fortunately the firecrackers weren't that bad, but we have had some really loud thunder boomers. I just let her find a place to hide out and then she comes out when it is all quiet.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excellent ! I am so happy Daniels has made a full recovery, and you did a great job at helping too heal him, with your love and instinct !
God Bless