Friday's Mittens update...

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens is still at the vet and will be spending the weekend there.

CBC came back normal, so it's not an infection (and temp has been normal). They did a series of xrays with barium, and the barium went all the way through, so it's not a bowel obstruction. Yesterday's bloodtests showed that liver and kidneys are functioning normally. That's about it for the good news.

The bad news....xray with barium showed that the stomach lining is significantly thickened. Also, the barium moved very slowly through the stomach, so motility is affected. Basically, something is WRONG in his stomach. It's hopefully a bad reaction to something he ate, in which case they'll just continue to give fluids as needed and try to settle his stomach until he's able to keep things down.

If he's not better by monday, then we'll have to consider other causes, which will mean a biopsy. This vet doesn't do endoscopy, so I'd probably recommend to my bosses that they take the cat elsewhere if a biopsy is necessary.

I stopped by on my way home and gave him one of his stuffed toys. He was in his cage, but in his laundry basket with a blanket over top. He was growling and cranky. I petted him for a while, but then I had to head home because it's my bf's cousins' birthday today and they're having a little party.

They're going to call me if anything changes with Mittens' condition. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything. Thanks again to everyone who has been thinking about him and sending vibes.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Mittens.
I hope they figure out what's wrong with him!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope it does`nt end up being anything serious.
I know how hard it is to have to leave your kitty at the vets...and I hope theyhave an answer for you soon.
Pets to Mittens from me.
Linda

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Mittens, I didn't realize he was sick enough to need to stay at the vet. Are the kids really upset? Are the parents willing to do whatever procedures might be necessary for him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Poor Mittens, I didn't realize he was sick enough to need to stay at the vet. Are the kids really upset? Are the parents willing to do whatever procedures might be necessary for him?
He needs to stay because he's still not eating or drinking. Also, his family has gone away until sunday because they're hosting a family reunion at their cottage, so there's nobody at the house full time to keep an eye on him. The kids are okay. I told him he's better off there where he can be checked on regularly and get the fluids he's not drinking, kind of like a kitty hospital.

The family is willing to do whatever he needs, within reason as dictated by his quality of life, chance of recovery etc. We haven't really had an indepth discussion on it, but they haven't balked at anything I've mentioned. They can afford the financial side of it, so I guess it'll be based more on what turns up on the tests.

As of today, the vet force fed him a bit of food last night and he hadn't yet thrown it up, which is good news. They're going to continue that and see if they can't get him eating and get his strength up so he can go home on monday.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that Mittens did alright over the weekend!

Please let us know how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

I hope that Mittens did alright over the weekend!

Please let us know how he is doing.
I'm going to call just before I leave, in about 1/2 an hour. Hopefully, I can pick him up on my way to work.