Key Lime Pie!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made one yesterday for my husband for Father's Day (O.K. I know it's late but we've been busy the last few weeks!). It took 2+ hours... getting zest and squeezing those tiny limes took forever. And I made the graham cracker crust and whipped cream from scratch.

It was VERY good, pretty sweet though, but my husband and daughter LOVED it. I thought it would be green, but it was gold from the egg yolks and the key lime juice is yellow. I'm not one to add artificial colors...

Anybody else ever had Key Lime Pie?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ohhhhhhh man I LOVE key lime pie!!!!!
me, too! i think it's probably my favorite... BTW, if you don't want to go to the trouble of making your own, Edwards' key lime pie [in the frozen desserts section] is WONDERFUL! you can even get individual servings, so you don't have to buy a whole pie!
also, Joe & Nellie's Famous Key Lime Jiuce [that's in the mixers for drinks section] is really good if you don't want to juice your own limes. i use it in my key lime chess cake - my mom always thought i used fresh juice. so that tells you how great it is!
and yes - REAL key lime pie is NEVER green!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha ha, shortcuts! NOW you tell me!

I'll have to check if they have those in Canada. My husband had it in Pie Town, New Mexico and that's why he asked for it!

I thought it would be like lemon pie with limes instead but it's completely different.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Ha ha, shortcuts! NOW you tell me!
well, you didn't post a thread asking for advice prior to making it - i'd've told you if you had!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love key lime pie. Big thumbs up with the homeade graham cracker crust, it tastes so much better when made from scratch. I always make my own crust when making cheesecake.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

ooo yes we had it in the best place to have it - Key West
never made it myself but I know theres lots of variations
Yep and it's great down there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absoultely love key lime pie! I've had it several places and never disliked one of them! I ought to try making one from scratch sometime!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Dad was the dessert maker in our family, and Key Lime Pie was one of his specialties. Major YUMMMMMMM!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, never tried it. I like lime squeezed into the occasional thing that I'm cooking, and even into my Diet Coke, but I would think a whole pie made of that flavour would be too over whelming for me.

However, if I ever do have to make a lime pie, I'll just use regular limes. I saw those key limes a few times at Safeway and they are way too little for me to work with and I'd run out of motivation before they were all sqeezed, lol

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link, SW! Turns out Pie Town is just 90 miles from Albuquerque, and we have a friend in the mountains near there that we keep threatening to visit -- the gentleman who helped my father find a publisher for his book, in fact.

So... since both my father and I are of the opinion that there's not much on this earth that couldn't be improved by putting a piecrust around it... PIE TOWN, HERE WE COME!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the Key Lime Pie is all gone now, so cherry pie is up next! Local ripe, sweet BC cherries are just $1.98 per pound, and I make a healthy crust and sweeten the pie with honey so it's really good and low-guilt!

Anybody going to want cherry pie?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time i had Key Lime Pie was at my works xmas party, tasted niceish!

Pass up those recipes i need to improve my cooking skills!