What shampoo/conditioner to use?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley doesn't seem to mind getting wet, so I want to give him a bath, since he's had a little trouble with poo sticking to his fur after the litter box.

What shampoo (and conditioner if necessary?) would you recommend I use for his fluffy black fur?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
either a baby shampoo or dawn dishwashing liquid [original formula]. both are gentle.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Baby shampoo is the wrong ph so I wouldnt use it ...

Dawn or dr bronners( u can use it too)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Baby shampoo is the wrong ph so I wouldnt use it ...
good to know - i used dawn before i got the prescription shampoo for Firefox.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For an occasional bath, I'd use Pantane (and conditioner) or Nexxus (and conditioner).

Baby shampoo is ok for an emergency but I would not use it for regular bathing.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Biogroom Ultra Black shampoo for black kitties... Works for me. I would be careful using Dr. Bronner's, make sure you dilute it a LOT, it's very strong...

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]The kind of Pantene with the conditione in the shampoo or a seperate bottle of conditioner?[/font]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I use Biogroom Ultra Black shampoo for black kitties... Works for me. I would be careful using Dr. Bronner's, make sure you dilute it a LOT, it's very strong...
I DILUTE all shampoos
.. and from my experience the dr bronners is the gentliest

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I DILUTE all shampoos
.. and from my experience the dr bronners is the gentliest
Well, when I tried to use it on myself it gave me a nasty rash, despite being diluted... :p That's what I added the warning.

At any rate, I prefer to use a shampoo made for cats.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, when I tried to use it on myself it gave me a nasty rash, despite being diluted... :p That's what I added the warning.

it's possible you're allergic to peppermint - Dr. Bronner's is a peppermint soap.

isisbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What brand for cats do you use?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

it's possible you're allergic to peppermint - Dr. Bronner's is a peppermint soap.
I've used other products with peppermint in them (including soap) with no reactions so I don't think that's it...

I've used a couple of types... I've used Earthbath cat shampoo, Biogroom, Magic Coat... Also Les Poochs "Pooch Bright" which is marketed for dogs but is good for cats as well, but I only used that on my cat's white paws...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You likely are allergic to olive or cocunut/... Yes always be careful ... my dog is allergic to of all things ALOE ....

Bio groom is a great one as is earthbath i have used both in the past ... never heard of the pooch bright... if Magic is the one I am thinking off ;(

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You likely are allergic to olive or cocunut/... Yes always be careful ... my dog is allergic to of all things ALOE ....

Bio groom is a great one as is earthbath i have used both in the past ... never heard of the pooch bright... if Magic is the one I am thinking off ;(
Your doggie is not alone in being allergic to all things Aloe - I am too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is marketed for dogs. Is it safe for cats? Do I need to use some kind of conditioner after?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

That is marketed for dogs. Is it safe for cats? Do I need to use some kind of conditioner after?
Yes, it is safe for cats. I contacted the company that makes Biogroom and asked them to make sure before using it on my black kitty... They said it's safe for cats and kittens over 12 weeks of age. I think I've used Earthbath conditioner as well, I mean I have it but I'm not sure if I used the conditioner on the cat or not...

I think I might have mixed up Magic Coat and Miracle Coat.

You likely are allergic to olive or cocunut/... Yes always be careful ... my dog is allergic to of all things ALOE ...
I know it's not olive because I put olive oil on my skin as part of a moisturizer treatment... As for coconut I am pretty sure I've used stuff with that in it but not totally (I know I've eaten plenty but don't know about on my skin...)

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I think I've decided to use Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo-- it's gentle and tearless without alot of fancy shmancy junk in it. Then I'll use a high-quality conditioner, to restore moisture and aid in a shiny, healthy coat: probably Pantene or Tresemme`.[/font]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I think I've decided to use Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo-- it's gentle and tearless without alot of fancy shmancy junk in it. Then I'll use a high-quality conditioner, to restore moisture and aid in a shiny, healthy coat: probably Pantene or Tresemme`.[/font]
NO NO baby shampoo is the PH for a HUMAN not a cat ... Use dawn dish soap over that please ... Baby shampoo is HARSH on KITTY not gentle

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Seriously? Wow... okay... Do you think Dawn is better than a "high quality" shampoo like Tresseme`?[/font]