Last night was quite the evening!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Earlier in the evening, I heard what sounded like a HUGE cat fight in the kitchen complete with much hissing and screaming. I came running in to find that Ferris and Penny had squared off, Penny was the one hissing, and there was little Ginger in the middle of things doing all the screaming at both of them!

It seems that Ginger is quite bossy when it comes to others disturbing her peace.
Because there was no bloodshed, I asked them if they can't all please just get along, and I left them alone.

Later...

I gave the kits some dried chicken strip bits for treats in the living room, and got a real kick out of watching Ferris interacting with Penny. He really has backed off of bothering Ginger all day, which she TOTALLY appreciates. Now she lords over the crew from a small distance, always watching, but aloof and happy in her own space.

Ferris has taken to following Penny wherever she goes. Half the time he tries to dominate her by trying to climb onto her back - not to "mount" her exactly, but he's just following instinct, and tries to get up over and onto her back. This is what causes her to lash out at him - she wants none of that.

So last night, after that big kitchen fight, he seems to have changed his method a bit. Instead of trying to dominate her, he started to follow her around in a more submissive fashion, laying on his belly facing her but not staring at her, staying close to her but not too close.

As Penny walked around eating up the yummy dried chicken bits, Ferris would shadow her, watching her every move.

As soon as she would finish chomping and gulp down a treat and move on to the next, he would slink up to where she had just been sitting and eat up all the little crumbly bits that had fallen from her mouth when she was chomping on the chicken.

He looked like the little servant boy happy to eat his mistress' crumbs off the floor.

After the treats were gone, we all played for a while with the laser pen and a cat dancer, and all three kitties had a great time. Penny was quite affectionate and acting a part of the group instead of hanging out in the kitchen acting better than everyone.

The funniest and weirdest moment came when Ferris jumped up to catch the cat dancer and fell backwards onto Ginger who had been lying down on the floor behind him, surprising them both and causing Ginger to scream and scramble in the opposite direction that Ferris scrambled in.

Then they BOTH looked at me, and I said, "Now Ginger, that was an accident and Ferris did NOT mean to fall on top of you, so you need to forgive him. Ferris, tell Ginger that you are sorry."

At that EXACT moment, they both turned and looked directly at each other for a second or three, then they calmly acted like nothing had happened.

I was like:
They TOTALLY understood me, and Ferris told her he was sorry, and she forgave him, JUST LIKE THAT!!!!

It really was an interesting evening watching the latest dynamics of My Three Kitties!

Stay tuned to TCS for future episodes!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lil monsters are smarter then we think!,lol

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you're like the "cat whisperer"! I do believe they understand what we're saying...at least the tone of voice. That is too cute though that Ferris was eating her scraps. He is definitely trying! Can't wait for the next episode!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Wow, you're like the "cat whisperer"! I do believe they understand what we're saying...at least the tone of voice. That is too cute though that Ferris was eating her scraps. He is definitely trying! Can't wait for the next episode!
LOL, I don't know about being a whisperer, but I have always personally identified with felines, and it seems to me that since getting Ginger, it is pretty natural for me to be able to "read" the cat's moods.

The info on MessyBeast about cat communication really gave me some good insight into cat body language, but truly, I can simply look at the expression on Ginger's face and know exactly what she is feeling.

It's a little weird, but I do think that this natural affinity I have for them made a lot of positive difference when I adopted Ferris the feral kitten: except for rare moments (like trying to groom his rear legs and/or tail & belly) you would never know that he was feral born.

Now I am getting to know Penny as well, and she is starting to get to know me - her inner Bengal is starting to come out. Last night she tried to jump up underneath my bathrobe that was hanging on a hook on my bedroom door.

Why? Because it looked like the thing to do.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is non-stop excitement at your place!
Maybe I should reconsider getting Riley a friend after all.... lol

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Sounds like it is non-stop excitement at your place!
Maybe I should reconsider getting Riley a friend after all.... lol
I really think you should.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have constant entertainment. Who needs TV when you have the 3 of them!

I'm glad Ferris apologized to Ginger and that she forgave him.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Sounds like you have constant entertainment. Who needs TV when you have the 3 of them!
That is SO true.

Many nights I sit down to watch the TV but wind up watching the kitties ham it up instead - they are sometimes much more interesting and funnier than the TV programming!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that they are working things out and getting along. Sounds like Penny and Ferris are battling for second place in the kitty dominance line up.

I suspect that Penny will win because Ferris seems smitten with her

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how they understand us, isn't it? Not the words, but the intent... I never cease to be amazed.