I'm having a blonde moment.... snail mail

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Note: I'm having a blonde moment and it's 1 o'clock in the morning, so don't mind me if I sound like a complete idiot.

I have a letter I want to send in the mail to a place in Texas. I've never sent a letter before (
) so I don't know how many stamps I have to put on it or whatever. How am I supposed to find out? To be specific, it's from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to Carrollton, Texas.

Jeez, if I can't send a letter in the mail how am I going to survive in the real world?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Note: I'm having a blonde moment and it's 1 o'clock in the morning, so don't mind me if I sound like a complete idiot.

I have a letter I want to send in the mail to a place in Texas. I've never sent a letter before (
) so I don't know how many stamps I have to put on it or whatever. How am I supposed to find out? To be specific, it's from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to Carrollton, Texas.

Jeez, if I can't send a letter in the mail how am I going to survive in the real world?
Don't worry about it, you will do fine.

First put the address that the letter is going to in the middle of the envolpoe, on the front. It should have three lines, like this...

Name of Recipitant
Street Address
City, State, Zip Code
Country

Then on the upper left hand corner of the envelope, still on the front should be your address. This should be done the same way you did the recipiants adress and things.

When it comes to postage, I really have no idea. Take he letter to you local Post Master/office and asked them. They will tell you how much the postage will be.

I found a few links that will help you.

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000157.htm
http://www.letterwritingguide.com/ad...ngenvelope.htm

I hope this helps. Do'n't worry, if you have to just go to the post office, they will help you with everything.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US we can go to USPS.com and check international rates and a regular envelope of standard size and weight would cost about $.69 USD. I am not sure if you have a postage meter online that you would be able to check and get a price, but if you fill out the envelope like KarmasMom said and you take it to the postmaster they will assit you in the postage. You will do fine!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to the post office and have them weigh it too so they don't send it back to you with an insufficient postage notice

If it is just a regular letter (a few sheets of paper in an envelope) they sell stamps for Canada / US / International and you can just ask for a US stamp

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as it's just a letter, one stamp should do it. I know mailing to canada it's the same as mailing someplace in the US, I'm assuming it would be the same reversed. But, just to be on the safe side, take it to the post office and have it weighed. If it's over an ounce (I think) then it may need more postage. Wow, I never thought about how little the mail is used now, but I think the last thing I sent out were our wedding invites in 2005...I even send christmas cards via email!

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a waste of money, but I always put two stamps on my letters (I'm a money-order freak, so I'm a pro at the envelopes, lol!). I figure that even if two stamps is too much, it's better to be safe than sorry, especially if I'm working on a deadline, lol. Then I can just go to a nearby mailbox and drop it in and then wait for confirmation that my envelope arrived. If I ever send something nearby, like BC or Saskatchewan, I'll do one stamp, but everywhere else, better to do two.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I send letters to Texas all the time. It's $0.96 CDN to the U.S.

(BTW, sending from the U.S. to Canada costs more than domestic U.S. mail. I've had problems receiving important mail when some people in Texas see "Victoria" and put a domestic stamp on the envelope - thinking it's Victoria, TX instead of Victoria B.C. Most of the time, the mail is returned to them.)