Song Ideas?????

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of any songs about cats? Or know of a special song that we could sing to our cats?

For each of our pets, my sister and I, have a special song that we sing to them. The songs talk about how we feel about them and how special they are to us. Some of the songs we have had in the past include: Somewhere Out There, You'll Be in My Heat, You and Me Together, etc.

Since we are going to adopt 2 cats or kittens on Saturday
(We are SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!), I thought that I would ask you if you had any ideas on a special song we could us for them.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new additions! We need pics, of course
. As for songs, have you ever heard the sound track to Cats? That might give you some ideas. I used to sing "Catch a falling star" to my rabbit, but when I try to sing to our cats, the just look at me like I'm dying and walk away. Well, singing isn't a real talent of mine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Congrats on your new additions! We need pics, of course
. As for songs, have you ever heard the sound track to Cats? That might give you some ideas. I used to sing "Catch a falling star" to my rabbit, but when I try to sing to our cats, the just look at me like I'm dying and walk away. Well, singing isn't a real talent of mine!
Thats a GREAT idea!!!! I didnt think of using the soundtrack to CATS!!! Thank you for the idea!!!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i sing to mine all the time. they each have a special song that's their's alone, which includes their name. Pixel's is to the tune of Edelweiss, Cable's is to K-K-K-Katy, & Java's is from Thoroughly Modern Mille it's Jimmy. i haven't been able to settle on one for Chip yet... i've come up with a couple, but none seem perfect for him. top runner is currently to the tune of You Are My Lucky Star from Singin' in the Rain. i think Firefox will let me know hers, soon.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's an interesting question...I work with horses and kids a lot, and we want the kids to learn how to interact with the horses instead of an adult just "dealing with it."

I've discovered that "Edelweiss" from Sound of Music REALLY REALLY calms horses down. They become totally relaxed.
I have no idea why, although I suspect that it's because it's in 3/4 time. I thought that Laureen's comment that one of the songs she uses is the tune of Edelweiss was interesing. How strange that we should discover that so independently...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That's an interesting question...I work with horses and kids a lot, and we want the kids to learn how to interact with the horses instead of an adult just "dealing with it."

I've discovered that "Edelweiss" from Sound of Music REALLY REALLY calms horses down. They become totally relaxed.
I have no idea why, although I suspect that it's because it's in 3/4 time. I thought that Laureen's comment that one of the songs she uses is the tune of Edelweiss was interesing. How strange that we should discover that so independently...
Believe me, if I would sing it, they wouldn't be calm! They'd be running for the hills!
That is interesting though.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Seb and Daphne assure me that I am in no danger of taking Broadway or nashville by storm with my voice

How about "You are My Sunshine"?

Of course, my very first thought was "Cat Scratch Fever" but that is just wrong

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My animals love it when I sing to them. That's actually part of how Timmy came around, I used to sing soft, soothing songs to him and he would close his eyes and cuddle. I sing to all the animals at work too, it seems to calm them somehow.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sing to my cats all the time. It's debatable whether or not they appreciate it.

Spike has his own song, sung to the tune of "Hallelujah": "Spiiiiike-a-doodle! Spiiiiike-a-doodle! Spikeadoodle! Spikeadoodle! Spike-aaah-dooooo-dull!"

Oz doesn't have his own song; nothing has really leapt out as being particularly fitting. I sing whatever happens to be stuck in my head, and he just looks at me like he's pretty sure I'm the one suffering from brain damage instead of his brother ...

When we lived with another couple, I would sing to their cat, Malkie (short for Malkavius). I horribly butchered the Asparagus Song from the '80s TV show A.L.F.: "Malkavius, Malkavius, you're not allowed on the table! Malkavius, Malkavius, you're so ador-able!" (emphasizing the "able" in "adorable" to force the rhyme, you know).

I didn't say that my songs are creative or clever, just that I sing to my cats. And to other peoples' cats. I embraced my weirdness years ago.

Oh, as an interesting aside ... My parents have an old piano that my younger sister loves to play. When she sits down at it, she plays a short series of high notes, and my parents' 19-year-old cat comes a-runnin'. PJ knows that those notes are the "song" my sister made up for her.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

How about "You are My Sunshine"?
That's the song I sing to Wiggies! "you are my Wiggies, my little Wiggies..." yeah you get the idea.

Originally Posted by Mirinae

I
Spike has his own song, sung to the tune of "Hallelujah": "Spiiiiike-a-doodle! Spiiiiike-a-doodle! Spikeadoodle! Spikeadoodle! Spike-aaah-dooooo-dull!"
I expected something a little more creative from you!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made up a silly song for Princess.. it goes "She's a cat, she's a kitty cat, she says MAU Mau Mau! She's a pretty girl, she's a silly girl, she says Mau Mau mau!"

lol...

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1124

I made up a silly song for Princess.. it goes "She's a cat, she's a kitty cat, she says MAU Mau Mau! She's a pretty girl, she's a silly girl, she says Mau Mau mau!"

lol...
I love all these songs! Wish I had a better singing voice for them

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sing "Lily of the Alley" to the tune of "Lily of the Valley" to my kitty Lily. I've always liked the "We are Siamese" song from Lady and the Tramp but I've never had a Siamese.

Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

...How about "You are My Sunshine"?...
I used to sing that song to my sweet Wilda.
A few days after she died, I was getting my blood drawn for a routine blood test, and a group of seniors were in the room across the hall singing that song. I cried all the way home.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I can just hear that!

Y'know, I think you may be onto something with the waltz-time theory about "Edelweiss" -- we had a very upset tortie at the shelter the other day, crying constantly and upsetting all the other kittens... but when I sang her "Brahms' Lullabye," she slowly settled down. And another 3/4 time tune, "Sweet Baby James," has worked on a lot of the nervous kittens up there...