Update on Mittens (cat at work)

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, if any of you are following, I'll let you know what went on today.

I got there at 8:30 and was optimistic, as he hadn't thrown up the six kibbles of food from last night! So, I gave him his medicine and went about my morning business. About 10:15ish, he threw up. I didn't see the act, but it was quite a large volume and spread out, so it must have been forceful. He shouldn't still have been vomitting after the medications he's been given! Also, it had a greenish colour that immediately reminded me of bile, so I was very concerned.

My vet said he needs to be seen again immediately, for bloodwork and xrays, but they couldn't fit him in as they already had one scheduled and two emerg surgeries for today, and one vet was out sick. I got him in to see his regular vet at 2:30, even though I'm not as confident in them as I am with mine, but beggers can't be choosers. Bloodwork showed kidney and liver enzymes were normal (thank god) and the only thing of note was slightly elevated glucose, but that's probably stress.

Regular xray showed no blockage, just some gas, so I said go ahead and do a barium series. They started that and hadn't seen anything so far, but it had only just moved partially into the small intestine, so it'll be a while. They'll do another xray in the morning, but he did pass a few very small pieces of stool, which is good. So, Mittens is there for the night and I feel bad that I didn't think to pack him one of his stuffed animals. I hope he's not too lonely and upset. They'll call in the morning to let me know how things are progressing.

I sort of hope they do find a block, because then they could do surgery. If everything comes back clean, I don't know where that leaves us. They've mentioned exploratory surgery......I just wish it was something we could put our finger on, because I want to be proactive but until we figure out what the problem is there's not much we can do. I just feel so helpless......

Also, I overheard one of the kids today telling his friend that his cat might die. I can only reassure them that we're doing all we can, but they ask if the cat is okay and I have to say we're not sure what's happening right now. I've basically explained each step to them, as they're not little (between 10 and 13) and can grasp the basic ideas behind the tests and possible problems. They're taking it well so far, but I just hope I don't have to help them through this cat passing away. I know that might seem dramatic at this point, but we just haven't been able to stop him from vomitting everything up.

Anyway, I've been rambling, so I'm going to go browse around some threads and see if I can't get my mind off it for a little while. Thanks to everyone who has been sending vibes.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww Bless him, I have been thinking about him, I was hoping he would get better and it was just a fluke or something...I hope they can get to the bottom of this with a minimum of tests. That's sad that the kids are worried about him dying

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Awwww Bless him, I have been thinking about him, I was hoping he would get better and it was just a fluke or something...I hope they can get to the bottom of this with a minimum of tests. That's sad that the kids are worried about him dying
Thanks for thinking about him. The kids will be okay, but they know he hasn't been drinking and they know what dehydration is (darn private schools with all their learnin' lol), so they understand that he's not well. I haven't said anything about him dying, but I do explain what they're doing and why (ie bloodtests check his liver and kidneys, look for infection, explained about a bowel obstruction, etc) because I believe that they're better off knowing what's being done than just wondering and filling it in with their imaginations.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Thanks for thinking about him. The kids will be okay, but they know he hasn't been drinking and they know what dehydration is (darn private schools with all their learnin' lol), so they understand that he's not well. I haven't said anything about him dying, but I do explain what they're doing and why (ie bloodtests check his liver and kidneys, look for infection, explained about a bowel obstruction, etc) because I believe that they're better off knowing what's being done than just wondering and filling it in with their imaginations.
That's good because they are old enough to understand...how old is the kitty?

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

That's good because they are old enough to understand...how old is the kitty?
He's only 3. If he comes home tomorrow, I'll try to snap some pics, he's such a cutie!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you updated, but what strange symptoms!! I've had a cat with a blockage, and she vomited only white, foamy stuff.

It's really good that liver and kidney values are ok.

When my kitty threw up bile, it seemed more yellow than green.

He's not getting into something he shouldn't? Plants, mice that have been poisoned, chemicals?

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I'm glad you updated, but what strange symptoms!! I've had a cat with a blockage, and she vomited only white, foamy stuff.

It's really good that liver and kidney values are ok.

When my kitty threw up bile, it seemed more yellow than green.

He's not getting into something he shouldn't? Plants, mice that have been poisoned, chemicals?
The colour reminded me of a bile duct from anatomy class, not necessarily what partially digested bile would look like.

He could have gotten into something the first day, I guess, but after that he was kept in a bathroom, so I don't see how. And all the cleaners etc are out of his reach. No house plants. No mice. He NEVER goes outside either, so it's quite a puzzle.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Mittens - I hope that he is ok! I will send vibes his way!