Grooming a Kitten

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As this is all new to me... I need some advice about grooming my kitten because I have been told by the vet that I have start grooming her as she says she is going to long haired, so Sophia can get used to being groomed.

Shall I buy a grooming brush? and will it hurt her?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a brush like this but my cats are not long haired. However two of them are having a heavy molt at the moment and need brushing 2-4 times a day
hard work especially when one of them gets a tad vexed about it

Have a look at this TCS link theres some great tips in there
You do need to start when they are young and do it every day so she can get used to it - good luck !

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With kitten fur, its fragile. So start off with a fine-toothed comb - a small flea comb would be great at this age. Train the kitten to stand on a small table and be combed. Brushes will not so a thing for long hairs - combs are the best. As the kitten grows (and gets more coat) you can add a medium-toothed comb.

Make it a routine. A combing every day and by the time your kitten is 6-12 months old, he/she should be pretty cooperative. The belly is the hardest so save it for last. Train to stand on two back legs while you do the tummy.

If you establish a grooming routine now, you won't have problems in the future.

BTW we need pictures of your kitten

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww she's really cute - kinda Maine Coon looking to me. That's pretty good news as MC's don't require as much grooming like a persian cat would. You may be able to get away with grooming every other day. But still establish the grooming routine daily. Be sure to check for mats under the "arms" and belly and ruff (when she gets one) - that's where you'll find most mats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Awww she's really cute - kinda Maine Coon looking to me. That's pretty good news as MC's don't require as much grooming like a persian cat would. You may be able to get away with grooming every other day. But still establish the grooming routine daily. Be sure to check for mats under the "arms" and belly and ruff (when she gets one) - that's where you'll find most mats.
are mats fleas or lugs?

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings from across the pond!
Oh my sweetness! What a beautiful kitten you have! Look at those eyes!
I have 4 mo. old Ragdoll and I "try" to groom him every day...
....he is not too keen about it right now.
"mats" refer to the clumps of hair that form when the cat's hair isn't combed on a regular basis. It can become very painful for the cat, because it eventually pulls their skin!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mats are the tangled lumps of fur you find in a longhair cat that is not groomed. Can be painful if not caught right away!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get her used to a comb instead of a brush. Since that is what you'll need to use as the fur gets longer and thicker. You can also buy a soft tooth brush to use on the face. But use the comb behind the ears, on the chest and as others have said, at the top of the legs. I'd just start with a half a minute or so and work your way up to as long as she'll tolerate. The important thing is consistency so groom your kitty regularly. I do touch up combing for a few minutes every day on each cat. Then once a week I do a total combing out and brush to fluff.