Ummm...baby? We have a snake!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I were moving the sprinklers for the lawn, since we just planted grass, and I went over to turn the water off....and there was a snake tucked up under the siding! All that was showing was about 4 inches neck and his head.

I think I handled it pretty good. I just said "ummm...baby? We have a snake!" I didn't freak out or anything because it was just a black snake and I know they are harmless....but I don't want it in my house! But, it was kinda cute.

Chip came over, and the snake disappeared under the siding. He says the snake can't get into the house because the siding it attached about 3 inches from the bottom (we have a double-wide). But we have no idea where he went! We even got a coat hanger to see if we could find it. I didn't want to kill it. Now, if it was a copperhead, that would be a different story!

I figure if he does find his way in the house, he will be a free cat toy!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far this year, we have had a baby black snake, a baby rat snake,a baby gardener snake(<-all were set free) and another baby snake that I thought for sure was a copperhead.I found it today while going to check and see what Blaze had playing with.It scared the you know what out of me....it was colored JUST like a copperhead.The colors were the exact same.Shawn came out and looked at it.Siad it wasn't a copperhead as it's head wasn't in a diamond shape and it's tail was sharp.Copperheads are suppose to have blunt tails.He had no idea what kind it was,so I had him kill it.
They say where there was one snake last year, there are 100 this year to that one.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm dont worry, he wont eat much.
oh wait, its a black snake, you shoudl encourge him to eat all he wants

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for not killing it
I am sure she was afraid and just went to find another cool spot to be. Then tonight she will dine on a host of insects.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for not killing the snake, it will be hiding where you can't access it until it feels safe to leave. I assure you that, that snake is more terrified of you, than you are of it.

Originally Posted by crittermom

.He had no idea what kind it was,so I had him kill it.
That's terrible, the snake didn't harm you. Snakes don't attack humans unless they feel threatened, If you were worried it might eat your cat, you need to know that, it would need to be a huge snake, and venomous. If it was non venomous and tried to eat your cat, it would end up being injured by your cat as it fights for its life.
Snakes are quite the helpless creature, just prejudged by humans as dangerous, when infact they aren't so. A snake has no legs, no ears and no teeth so hunting food has to be done methodically.
If perhaps you worry that snakes kill little animals and think its cruel, please remember why they do so, they do it to eat and survive. Think about your cat when it kills a bird or a mouse and then leaves it somewhere in the yard or house but doesn't eat it. Isn't this more an act of cruelty??

Sorry I just get upset when people kill snakes, or any other animal.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i totally agree!!! snakes are needed just as much as the cute chipmunks.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Tammy..I would have been freaked out too...I wouldn't even have guts to kill it
I am a big baby..

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with killing it. My friend and I have been socializing a little feral family by his house, and 2 of the 7 week old kittens were bitten and died yesterday. It was terrible.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you reacted very calmly to the situation.

I am sure he was just trying to find a nice place to sleep before slithering away.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have tons of snakes that live around here... mostly black snakes and garter (sp?) snakes. They eat the rats and mice so we like having them around. John is slightly more afraid of them than I am though, and usually won't return to an area in the yard where there has been a "snake sighting" for quite awhile afterwards.
. I was always a little nervous around them until a few weeks ago... we went to a big flea market/carnival type thing and there was a guy there with a pet snake (offering pictures with the snake), I got to pet her and she rested her little head in my hand and was just the sweetest thing.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

another baby snake that I thought for sure was a copperhead.I found it today while going to check and see what Blaze had playing with.It scared the you know what out of me....it was colored JUST like a copperhead.The colors were the exact same.Shawn came out and looked at it.Siad it wasn't a copperhead as it's head wasn't in a diamond shape and it's tail was sharp.Copperheads are suppose to have blunt tails.He had no idea what kind it was,so I had him kill it.
You probably should do a little research on the types of snakes in your area. Out here, the only real dangerous snake is a rattlesnake, but there are also bull snakes that mimic rattlers so predators will leave them alone. They have the same coloring, but not the same pattern, and like Shawn said the head and tail shape are different. But a bull snake will coil up like a rattler and even make a rattling noise, even though they don't have rattles.

Originally Posted by Bella713

You are brave, I freak out when I see a SLUG
A snake I would be fine with. But a SLUG?
Those things are GROSS!!!!!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

That's terrible, the snake didn't harm you. Snakes don't attack humans unless they feel threatened, If you were worried it might eat your cat, you need to know that, it would need to be a huge snake, and venomous. If it was non venomous and tried to eat your cat, it would end up being injured by your cat as it fights for its life.
Snakes are quite the helpless creature, just prejudged by humans as dangerous, when infact they aren't so. A snake has no legs, no ears and no teeth so hunting food has to be done methodically.
If perhaps you worry that snakes kill little animals and think its cruel, please remember why they do so, they do it to eat and survive. Think about your cat when it kills a bird or a mouse and then leaves it somewhere in the yard or house but doesn't eat it. Isn't this more an act of cruelty??

I dunno. I would kill the ones I believe are poisonous. My parents kill them all the time where they live. They will get into the yard and bite the dogs.... My mom had one hiding under her car in her garage once. I don't like snakes. The ones that eat bugs are not so bad, but we have Rattlers, Copperheads, and Water Moccasins here. I think those are the three deadly ones in the states, and we have them all. Lucky us. Oh, my parents have 2 lakes. Could very well be a poisonous water snake at their house.

Not really something that I want to encounter in the dark.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Thanks for not killing the snake, it will be hiding where you can't access it until it feels safe to leave. I assure you that, that snake is more terrified of you, than you are of it.

OMG!!! Calm down will you.
I have 4 kids, I don't care what anyone says....if I am not sure what kind of snake it is.......it's a dead snake.
As far as eating Blaze--not gonna happen.She is alot smarter than that

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

OMG!!! Calm down will you.
I have 4 kids, I don't care what anyone says....if I am not sure what kind of snake it is.......it's a dead snake.
As far as eating Blaze--not gonna happen.She is alot smarter than that
whew! Glad someone's got my back! hehehe! I figured I was going to be hated for that! LOL

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

whew! Glad someone's got my back! hehehe! I figured I was going to be hated for that! LOL
Well, it looks as if I am hated for killing the darn thing.
I'll get your back for ya.

Oh well, so be it. I have kids and they are my #1 priority.

also,Blaze doesn't wound small critters.She kills them and eats them.
I will leave any HARMLESS snakes alone....this one looked JUST like a copperhead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a snake who's protection is that it looks so much like a copperhead, but it's not poisonous. I guess that may work in the animal world, but not with humans! I'm with you...if it resembles a poisonous snake, I'm not going to take the time to research and investigate. He would be dead. The harmless kind, I let them go about their business.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, it looks as if I am hated for killing the darn thing.
I'll get your back for ya.

Oh well, so be it. I have kids and they are my #1 priority.

also,Blaze doesn't wound small critters.She kills them and eats them.
I will leave any HARMLESS snakes alone....this one looked JUST like a copperhead.
IMO - you do whatever you have to do to protect your family - I respect that.

Personally I prefer live snakes to dead snakes, but can understand the people who prefer it the other way.