show curtains?

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope I am posting this in the right section. I am wondering where most of you who show get your curtains and how much you would or have paid for them, more or less. I am hopeless myself with a needle and thread, and while I have bought a couple sets here and there, am curious as to where you have found your sets and what sort of general prices they run. I have seen some very nice and reasonably priced sets in the UK sites but it seems that anything in the states runs much higher. is this the norm? I am okay with it if it is, but I just don't want to buy anything overpriced, or pass over a bargain...
I have bengals and I am finding that one of them looks nice with one color and another one doesn't. It is proving harder than I had imagined to find curtains i really like. Do they all come with the lace trim? (I don't like it-why does every one put it on?) If I am investing this much to show, I also want very cool curtains.
If anyone wants to PM me with a great person who makes them to order that's cool too!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help you, but I bring my own cage to the show, and don't fiddle with cage curtains.

I am sure someone will know of a great place for you to find curtains.

Good Luck!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister made mine for me, they are quite simplistic (which is standard here) compared to some US curtains I've seen online.

Perhaps try to locate a seamstress in your area - that may well be your cheapest option, and then you can get exactly what you want

My sister didn't charge labour, she just told me how much fabric to buy, total cost was under $20 for 21" curtains, a pillow case for his cushion base and a litter box cover. It only took an hour or two for her to make them.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use show shelters and not show curtains - sorry, I'm no help at all!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is Tobie, my HHP and that is my show set-up. Hopefully that gives you some ideas. It was very simple. I didn't even need a needle! I just bought some blankets and table cloths that I thought were pretty and spread them out... I did buy some tassles and safety pins to stick on the corners for some frufru, though. I will look up exactly what dimensions you will need... but I don't remember off the top of my head. Maybe another show person will know?

Any more questions, just ask and good luck showing!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

That is Tobie, my HHP and that is my show set-up. Hopefully that gives you some ideas. It was very simple. I didn't even need a needle! I just bought some blankets and table cloths that I thought were pretty and spread them out... I did buy some tassles and safety pins to stick on the corners for some frufru, though. I will look up exactly what dimensions you will need... but I don't remember off the top of my head. Maybe another show person will know?

Any more questions, just ask and good luck showing!
Beautiful cage set up, you did a great job, and the colors look very nice with Tobie!! He is gorgeous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
beautiful "curtains!" I like your creative thinking-your choice really makes a luxurious looking set-up!
It seems like several of you bring your own "cage". Are you speaking of the enclosed plastic cases I see for sale on-line? Is this a safer way to show the cat or more of a matter of convenience?
Sorry to be so full of questions...I really am getting worked up about showing!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've shown breeds that would mess up those "fancy" curtains; so I've always used just plain material that is draped over the inside/outside of the 3 sides of the cage. Then use a towel for the bottom and top of the cage. The curtains are clipped on with those little black clips you use for paper (I use the small and medium ones).

Simple but nice and can set it all up within 5-10 mins at the most.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My aunt made my curtains. I picked out the fabric. Wish I had a pic to show you. As for the cages I also bring my own. It is more sanitary and some of those show provided metal cages can be in rough shape. I would recommend the Sturdi Cage.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A simple suggestion would be for you to attend your first show with something like what Godiva has done ... if you think you want to spend the extra money on the sturdi shelters (which are NOT cheap) or your own cages/curtains then do that. It's not worth spending the money IF either you or your cat end up not liking the whole show scene!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The portable show cages run about $150 - they do sell them at the shows. I'd have bought one when showing Spooky for many years if they were available. But I know I won't be showing a lot, so I'll be content with the wire cages I "grew up with"

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told not to buy anything either until after my first show. It was really good advice. I found that I like being able to customize it like that, and it's simple to set up as it is! There is a good mix of show cages in the exhibiting hall and no one would look down on you for using the wire cages. Lots of larger breeders use them still for their relative convenience and affordability.

Be sure to get something thick enough for your kitty to relax on the bottom in case there is a wire bottom (some have had them, some don't). Under the cat bed is a relatively thick blanket folded under. I want him comfy!

Thanks for the compliments... I'm told I have good taste! I wouldn't have put that cat bed in there, but I wanted something for him to It did take me 3 hours at the Meijer to figure out which combo was best, though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Godiva,

You know that Charlie would look better on the spotted pad you have in Tobie's cage - you should send it to me

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He would look wonderful, but tough luck!
They all love this bed. I'm sure you could find one online... I got it at some Petsmart or somewhere like it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I ordered a leopard round bed and its really cool - Charlie loves it - took some pictures of him in it - next batch of pics I download, will include it - hard to find the cat.....

I plan on taking it to the next show for him to use.