HELP! My cat won't eat!

caitscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a male black persian cat last Friday. At first it seemed as though he was cared for well. He was on Foundations Dry Cat food which is very expensive (more then what I can afford), but they also said he would eat IAMS. He looked gorgeous! UNTIL... I got him home and noticed that he was matted from one end to the other. I had to shave all of his fur off! There was NO WAY for me to get those mats out! He is friendly and loving. When he breaths it sounds very ruff, like he is congested, but I also know that is very common with extreme flat faced persians. His eyes also water, also common in extreme flat faced persians. His face is EXTREME! Since he got here he has been under the bed all day and roaming the house all night and he will drink water but won't eat! At first I thought he was eating at night as well but after close observation have noticed he won't touch the food! I tried him on ACTR1UM, Whiskas, IAMS, IAMS canned food, Whiskas canned food, treats. Won't eat any thing! Mind you, it's possible he has been eating without me knowing but from the looks of him I'd say it isn't much if any thing. He is getting so thin! He is running around, jumping and playing... so he isn't on his last leg or any thing.
Any one know what could be causing this? A new place maybe?
Ontop of this... I have a female persian in heat and she is rolling around the floor infront of him, and chaseing him around the house but he won't breed to her. He just runs away. He is unaltered, two years old. Can't understand it.
PLEASE ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!
Thanks
Caitlin

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caitscats

I bought a male black persian cat last Friday. At first it seemed as though he was cared for well. He was on Foundations Dry Cat food which is very expensive (more then what I can afford), but they also said he would eat IAMS. He looked gorgeous! UNTIL... I got him home and noticed that he was matted from one end to the other. I had to shave all of his fur off! There was NO WAY for me to get those mats out! He is friendly and loving. When he breaths it sounds very ruff, like he is congested, but I also know that is very common with extreme flat faced persians. His eyes also water, also common in extreme flat faced persians. His face is EXTREME! Since he got here he has been under the bed all day and roaming the house all night and he will drink water but won't eat! At first I thought he was eating at night as well but after close observation have noticed he won't touch the food! I tried him on ACTR1UM, Whiskas, IAMS, IAMS canned food, Whiskas canned food, treats. Won't eat any thing! Mind you, it's possible he has been eating without me knowing but from the looks of him I'd say it isn't much if any thing. He is getting so thin! He is running around, jumping and playing... so he isn't on his last leg or any thing.
Any one know what could be causing this? A new place maybe?
Ontop of this... I have a female persian in heat and she is rolling around the floor infront of him, and chaseing him around the house but he won't breed to her. He just runs away. He is unaltered, two years old. Can't understand it.
PLEASE ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!
Thanks
Caitlin
ok where to begin...

first of all, if you just got him last Friday, he needs to be in isolation from your resident cat for a few WEEKS or at LEAST until you have him thoroughly examed and most importantly TESTED by a vet. He sounds sick or something. He should absolutely not be allowed anywhere near your female, especially since she isn't spayed yet. She is not only going to get whatever is wrong with him, which going by the fact that he came in awful conditions and probably from a bad breeder...you really need to get this poor cat in to the vet to be checked out, to be neutered and not bred. Where did he come from anyways? Do you have breeding rights for any of your kitties? Where did your girl come from? Has she been fully tested for genetic health problems? Ir is a GOOD thing that he will not breed to your girl, who knows what on earth he could be giving her as it is, let alone pass down to his offspring.

From the sounds of his extremely flat face, his bad conditions (matted, underweight, possibly ill, bad background maybe) he should be completely isolated from your own cat until you figure out what is wrong with him and he is neutered. There doesn't need to be more unaltered cats running around with the overpopulation problem, the risks of Pyometra and cancer.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you switch is food without mixing it??

He needs to see the VET quickly...

Please seprarate them NOW....for both of them .... Is he supposed to be a breeding cat ?? with breeding rights>??

have you tried boiled chn??? some tuna ( cat preferred)

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sharky-if I have any cat that wont eat TUNA, they immeadiatly go to the VET! Cats go bonkers over tuna! Seperate them ASAP-are you REALLY prepared for 4-8 crazy, playing kittens-all of whom you have to feed, have vet care, have spayed, do litter boxes, and eventually find homes for? It can be very overwhelming, even for a professional!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caitscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.
Kane was out more last night and this morning. I am sure the only reason he was hiding is because he was scared (a natural reaction). I am buying him Foundations today, which is the cat food he had been eating. He was a very picky eater at his previous house and I don't know why I figured he would be any different here.
He is drinking water and acting normal aside from being scared and picky, I don't believe there is any thing wrong with him and he will see the vet this week for his shots and check up.
He is not in urgent need of vet care, he is happy, running and playing. Just at night time rather then during the day and last night I finally saw him nibbleing at food. He is out with me right now, which is a big change, normally he would be under the bed. He was just scared and getting use to his new home.
Thanks for everyones advice
Caitlin

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd still isolate him and have your vet give him a clean bill of health! Whenever you get a new cat you should have the cat to your vet within 48 hrs of adopting them. Charlie was seen by our vet a few days after bringing him home (1) to give the vet the shots records, and (2) to make sure he was healthy.

In my contract for rex kittens I stated the kitten had to be seen by the owner's vet within 48 hrs and if there was a problem, notify me immediately with vet proof.

He should not be bred to your persian till both are cleared with the PKD or whatever that problem is with the persians (its been mentioned here - maybe someone with persians can explain what they should be tested for).