missing cat/suspicious neighbor!!

mandini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my cat Marvin has been gone for two days. I last saw him Monday morning. He is three years old and he's never gone far/been gone this long.

I took his photo and asked around with my neighbors this afternoon. Two people who live in the cul-de-sac across the street said they have had many cats vanish over the years. One of them said she is sure someone is taking them. She said she thought it was the old man a few houses down from her.

Well I went to ask the old man and his wife and they both said they haven't seen my cat. I said I was worried because I had been told someone in the neighborhood takes cats. The man said, "They all think it is me." I asked why people think it is him, he told me, "Because I take 'em." I said WHAT and he said he hates cats. I asked where he takes them and he said "I take them down by the river and let them fend off the coyotes." Meanwhile his wife was behind him saying he was just joking, that no no he doesn't do that.

I asked him, "Did you take my cat?!" and he said "No, I told you, I haven't seen this cat." I pressed him about where he takes the cats and he said he takes the cats to the animal shelter and half the time they tell him to bring the cats back where he found them.

I am praying my cat did not go in his yard. I have never seen him go that far, but I am really worried he did and this piece of crap captured him and killed him or drove him off to the middle of nowhere.

I don't know what to do. I don't trust this ******* when he says he didn't take him. Before I was just sad and worried, and now I am so furious I could explode. Btw, I also had a cat disappear five years ago. I am just sick with grief/worry.

Does anyone have any advice? The shelter/police are closed today for the 4th. Tomorrow I am going to put up flyers.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, you should keep your cats inside. In a lot of places, if an animal is being a nuisance to a neighbor, they have every right take them to the shelter, and in some places they are allowed to shoot them. My neighbors lettheir cats outside all the time, and they are a horrible nuisance, but I would never shoot an animal because their stupid owners let them outside, but some people would do it.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are most likely just being a very worried meowmy, but just to be sure, leave your # with the man-so that he can call you if he does get your cat.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

well, you should keep your cats inside. In a lot of places, if an animal is being a nuisance to a neighbor, they have every right take them to the shelter, and in some places they are allowed to shoot them. My neighbors lettheir cats outside all the time, and they are a horrible nuisance, but I would never shoot an animal because their stupid owners let them outside, but some people would do it.
What a kind, supportive, helpful, reply, I'm sure the OP feels much better now.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Anakat

What a kind, supportive, helpful, reply, I'm sure the OP feels much better now.
well put Anakat

Fosterkitty do you really think people want to be told off about how they care about their cats and that your comments are constructive
The OP is obviously very distraught about this situation and the last thing needed is a verbal bashing
especially calling someone stupid - not nice

Mandini, I am so sorry that you find yourself in this position
I'm not from your country so cant really comment about what agencies can help you with this terrible man
I suspect you would need hard evidence anyway.

For the moment maybe its best to focus on finding your cat - flyers are a great idea, some of your local free newspapers might offer a free ad for this sort of problem, you know like a 'Pet Rescue' section
its worth a try.

Leave a cat-litter box out in your yard, the scent may attract your kitty. If you can leave a window open that he can get through, sometimes they just turn up out of the blue
Cats leave scent trails so he should know the area fairly well.

I do hope Marvin comes home soon and something can be done about the miserable mean man.

Keep us posted

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

well, you should keep your cats inside. My neighbors lettheir cats outside all the time, and they are a horrible nuisance, but I would never shoot an animal because their stupid owners let them outside, but some people would do it.
Please show some respect by not calling people stupid because they let their cats outside.

Yes, in an ideal world it would be great if people kept their cats inside but it doesn't always work that way, and i don't understand how these outside cats are a horrible nuisance if your a cat lover?. I get the odd neighbours cat in my garden, but i don't mind seeing them.

Mandini. I really hope your kitty turns up, but keep us updated with any news

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to those of you who posted messages of support.

I went to the animal shelter today but no luck. I was going to post fliers but it started storming.

I also called Karin at petdetectivesinc.com, who coincidentally/luckily happens to be located in my state. I am praying she can find him.

This is a cat who I found in my car when he was five months old. He was feral and lived in the fields near my work. It took months to get him to trust me, during which he lived under my bed in fear. Eventually he began to trust and has turned into the most loving, sweetest, funnest cat. If you met him today you would never know he was ever wild.

please keep him in your prayers.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Bless your heart, I would be scared too
I will pray that you find your sweet Marvin. I also have an outdoor kitty, he was a stray also, but he's so afraid of other people besides my DH and I, I don't know how someone would catch him....is Marvin comfortable with other people?

We are here if you need us

mandini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marvin is pretty friendly with my roommates, but I've never seen him with other people, like strangers.

I'm still praying with all my heart. He is absolutely my baby.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi, i know im new here but i read your post and manted to let you know im thinking of you. I have had a cat when i was younger and she often disappeared for weeks at a time and we could never figure out where she went and still have no idea
i know this might not be comforting but stay positive!

FOSTER KITTY

i think that if you chose to keep your cats inside that fine, i will be doing the same and walking my cat on a harness. However, if others want to let their cat out and about that is there decision and it shoudl be respected wether you agree with it or not

I really hope you find your kittie, keep us posted - i will look out for your next post
hope you and your cat are soon ...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mandini, I hope Marvin comes home soon. I think you are taking the right steps.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mandini, you and Marvin are in my thoughts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you're soon reunited.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for you and for Marvin, I hope he comes home soon.

Please keep us updated on him.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just now saw this thread. I'm hoping that soon you'll be able to tell us that he's safely back home again.

I know it's hard to keep a cat inside once he/she has become used to going outside. So I was just wondering if you would be willing to consider getting a cat enclosure to keep Marvin safe while he's enjoying the outdoors???????????? Maybe you could buy or make a really nice one for him.

mandini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasn't shown up yet. :-(

I will put up fliers today.

I talked with Karin from Pet Detectives and she seems convinced that his feral nature resurfaced and he ran off. I just can't believe it, after all these years. He is a big love of a cat and doesn't even catch birds.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...Bless your heart! Hurry back home Marvin! You're meowmy is worried sick and misses you terribly! I so hope he turns up soon. Maybe you could try sitting outside at night with a flashlight and look for glowing eyes. If he's a former feral,he'll probably wonder around at night. Thinking of you and sending out prayersfor his safe return!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just seeing this thread now, and sending lots of "Come Home" vibes. I hope your wanderer turns up soon.

mandini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just plastered the neighborhood with fliers, and put an ad in the local paper. I just refuse to believe that he would return feral after three years of being my baby.

Here is my handsome guy: