3 Big dogs I must be crazy

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have taken on a third dog. Tyler is a chocolate lab, with heartworms. He kept showing up at the office, ex-husband wanted him until he found out about heartworms from previous owner. I fell in love with him, and feeling is mutual I think. He came home with me on Monday and DH fell for him instantly. He has appt tomorrow with vet to get checked out, hopefully they can start treatment tomorrow. I am really hoping that we can find him a good home after he is well again, but I am falling in love with him a little more everyday. He has been through 5 homes that I know of, and I'm afraid if I do rehome, he will feel betrayed again. We really don't have room for three big dogs, but I may not have a chose. Please keep good vibes for his vet appt tomorrow.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last thirty years, we've had big dogs. Usually three at a time. My three children have grown up with big dogs always around.
We've also lived in three states during this time - that means moving the three dogs and three kids. Not a big deal.

One of our Golden was a pass-around dog. He belonged to my b-i-l, then friends of my s-i-l, then to us. He also had heartworms when we got him, so we were in the same boat you are in. Reuben did great and lived to the ripe old age of 14 (good for a Golden Retriever).

Right now we have another Golden Retriever and two Old English Sheepdogs. My kids are already aware of the need for them to take care of the dogs when my husband and I die. And I will not ever go into a retirement home that won't let me keep my furbabies.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so sweet to take him in and help him to get healthy. You know we'll want to see photos
he sounds like a really great dog. Sending lots of vibes for the vet visit!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with the vet!
This guy sounds like he really needs a good home and lots of attention.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!
I have had big dogs all my life and live with 3 large dogs and one small dog and 2 cats but I am perfectly sane although sometimes they drive me up the wall.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww that's great!!
i hope you enjoy your new doggie for many years to come

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PSJAuntie,
Congratulations on your new dog!
He IS a sweetie!

For those of you who don't know, PSJ owns the company that I work for. We are friends, so I know that Tyler now has the very best home possible. I know how she treats (SPOILS) her other dogs.

When Tyler was at the office last, PSJ left to go do some errands. Tyler cried when she left and got soooo excited when she came back.
Others go in and out all day around here and he barely notices.

Prayers are with him for his vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rockcat thanks for your nice words, I do not SPOIL my other dogs, they are pampered. Tyler had is visit with the vet today and got his first heartworm treatment, he has another scheduled for tomorrow. He did very well with initial injection, but is very sore and whining in pain so I got him some pain meds from vet and seems to be resting peacefully now. He is in the guest bedroom on the bed with about 5 big pillows so he has something soft to lay on. I repeat my dogs are not spoiled. I will keep all updated on his progress.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

He is in the guest bedroom on the bed with about 5 big pillows so he has something soft to lay on. I repeat my dogs are not spoiled. I will keep all updated on his progress.
too cute! I'm glad he will be feeling better soon

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sending strong vibes for Tyler to get thru his heartworm treatment. Hopefully you will keep him subdued through his treatment!

I lived with 5 large dogs and 11 cats at one point. You get beyond 2 dogs and your household turns more and more into a "pack". If you keep Tyler, you might want to get a copy of Jan Fennell's book, The Dog Listener. It's great advice for managing any sized dog household, but particularly if you get to "pack" state.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tyler had is visit with the vet today and got his first heartworm treatment, he has another scheduled for tomorrow. He did very well with initial injection, but is very sore and whining in pain so I got him some pain meds from vet and seems to be resting peacefully now. I will keep all updated on his progress.
I'm so glad he's more comfortable. Poor baby!
He's been through so much already.

I do not SPOIL my other dogs, they are pampered. He is in the guest bedroom on the bed with about 5 big pillows so he has something soft to lay on. I repeat my dogs are not spoiled.
I'm glad you cleared that up.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Momofmany;1868848 said:
I'm sending strong vibes for Tyler to get thru his heartworm treatment. Hopefully you will keep him subdued through his treatment!

Luckily I am not working at the present time so I can stay at home with "The Boys" and keep everybody somewhat seperated so Tyler can rest, and Dawg & Charlie can keep him company at a distance.

Tyler has had his second treatment, seems to be handling this one better that yesterday, but is sore now on both sides. I gave him another pain pill just now, so hopefully he will be resting easier in a little while.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Little update on Tyler he is doing very well he doesn't seem to be having any side effects from the treatment. DH & I are falling so in love with him, but we have pretty much decided he will go to a friend of DH's. He has one Chocolate lab that is ill, they have him on medications, but not much hope for full recovery. He would love to have Tyler, and has promised I can see Tyler when ever I want. It will break my heart because he is such a love, but we really don't have the room, and my other two are feeling put out, they are not mean to Tyler but they don't seem to really want him here fulltime. Also, we are hoping to have a baby next year, and I don't think I can handle three big dogs. I will keep you updated.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can we see pics of your 3 dogs? We have a yellow lab (from rescue) - she had heartworms too - try explaining to a lab why they can't play/run and chase balls during the treatment time!

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Can we see pics of your 3 dogs? We have a yellow lab (from rescue) - she had heartworms too - try explaining to a lab why they can't play/run and chase balls during the treatment time!
I know what you mean, my little one Charlie (62 lbs) is trying to play with one of his toys, and actualy warming up to Tyler, and I have to keep telling him no. I feel so bad because they want to play together, and I have to be the bad one. Charlie just looks at me like what am I doing wrong, you keep telling us to be nice to him???

I will try to get a picture of all three of them and post A.S.A.P.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have taken on a third dog. Please keep good vibes for his vet appt tomorrow.
Then I am crazy too
Wouldn't live my life any other way.
Good vibes being sent!