Ground turkey vs. ground beef sirloin...REALLY?!

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you know...that ground turkey has more fat than ground sirloin?

I didn't; granted this info is posted on a beef website, but they can't just make the stuff up (or can they??!) http://www.txbeef.org/view_archived_...archived_id=36

I was thinking about trying to incorp. ground turkey into cooking (though I'm not a big turkey fan), but now I think I'll just look for 95% fat free beef/sirloin & ask to have it ground...

Wonder how it compares to ground chicken (for use in meatballs or meat sauce, etc.)?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible.

Ground turkey that you get in the store is often made from turkey legs/thighs which is the darker meat and higher in fat than the breast. If you get ground turkey breast, it's lower in fat Same with chicken. The darker parts are always higher in fat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I knew but then again I studied human nutrition

you actually can get more fat out of the higher fat beef cuts .... thus getting less than the Ultra lean
... I use 85%

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a great recipe for chili turkey burgers (from George Stella), which I vary by using roasted red peppers in them instead of diced red bell pepper.

These are so good, we've had them 6 or 7 times already since the first time I made them which was recent.

Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I have a great recipe for chili turkey burgers (from George Stella), which I vary by using roasted red peppers in them instead of diced red bell pepper.

These are so good, we've had them 6 or 7 times already since the first time I made them which was recent.

Let me know if you'd like the recipe.
Would love the recipe, Thanks!

Thinking of making turkey meatballs (in a meatball soup, u/s made w/ beef + pork sausage mix), but a seasoned turkey burger recipe would probably work perfectly for the meatballs. (Never cooked any turkey products before, just the occasional deli turkey slice
)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just sent you a pm with the recipe. Forgot to mention, if you do bake these, I do so on a rack atop the baking sheet..so any fat etc. can drain off, otherwise you'll need to scrap off the drippings that will collect around each burger.

These are really juicy!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Wonder how it compares to ground chicken (for use in meatballs or meat sauce, etc.)?
I made a chicken & spinache lasagne a while back and i tell you, it tasted even better than your mince one!! You really can't tell much of a difference once the sauce and everything is in except for the colour *drools*