How am I going to survive until July 24th!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in so much pain from my gall stone. I have surgery schedule for July 24th, but that means I still have to make it 20 more days.

I am in constant pain and I don't like to take my Tylonel 3 at work. I also can't take sick time now, so I have time for my surgery. I can't concentrate on my job!

I am miserable and I am sure it is affecting my interactions with the people around me. I had trouble last night going out to the splash pad with my DH and the boys. He offered to take them without me, but they are too much work for 1 person alone at the park - they want to head off in different directions.

I am being very careful with what I eat - today all I have had is tea and a salad. Food is not triggering it now - it is just constant. Not bad enough to go to the hospital and have it out NOW, but constant discomfort and pain.

Any suggestions?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the doc's office give you a list of foods to avoid eating?? Do fatty foods make it worse??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Did the doc's office give you a list of foods to avoid eating?? Do fatty foods make it worse??
Mostly foods don't tend to trigger it - just time of day. Usually mid day all the way to past bed time. Usually I am fine when I get up in the morning. I was only told to avoid greasy food - which I have been. I have been very good about what I am eating, but nothing helps and nothing triggers it - I think it just doesn't like me being awake.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bad time was years ago I had an ulcer and certain foods or events would make it worse-my worse times of the day were early evening until about 2 am. I was so uncomfortable and restless!! Well at least 4 of those days are weekend days.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear of this. I know you were hoping the pain wouldn't be so severe. Any chance you can get a leave of absence prior to the surgery -- perhaps your doctor can prescribe "stay at home" therapy before the 24th?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you can get in sooner
I never had gall stones but I know they are painful, I have had kidney stones and I know how bad they are and if it's anything like that pain, I feel so sorry for you

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
All I can give are
. I'm not sure what I would have done if they hadn't pulled mine out right away. The only thing I've heard about is watching the diet but you are already doing that. I'm sending calming vibes to you and soon the 24th would be here.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the doctor and the hospital know that you would like to get in quicker if an opening becomes available? Maybe they have a sort of "cancellation list" they could put you on...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to remember what I was told to avoid when I had my gallbladder attack... I think it was anything high in fat - including fatty meats, greasy foods, whole grains, raw fruits/veggies, and anything high fiber (fiber is harder to digest). So that salad could very well have been making you feel worse.

Bland and boring it is, at least until you get it out and start to heal. Also, I've noticed that eating too late it the day can make me sick. Try to stick to smaller light meals later in the evening and see if that helps some.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Maybe it is bad enough to have it out now? Hope you get relief sooner rather than later. Hang in there!
I don't mean to scare you, but mine didn't hurt constantly until it was ready to burst. I had "attacks" or episodes, then one really bad episode that never really stopped. Then I turned yellow because the inflamed bile duct/gall bladder was causing my liver to fail. The doctor said I was lucky it didn't burst before I got in to the hospital as it had become chronically inflamed.

I would make it my full time job to convince someone your constant pain is a reason to move up the surgery.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have moved up the surgery....it was scheduled for October 4th. I actually decided to go to another doctor at another hospital. There are long waiting lists in Toronto for surgery. This was the earliest I could make it.

I am doing better today, so far. Just slight discomfort. Kept it simple last night for dinner - had rice and chicken.

Thanks for the support everyone. Being on TCS helps distract me.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I know how it feels. I'm glad you got an appointment this month at least....I had to have my durgery moved up. By the time they took it out, there weren't any stones left.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Just one. Take you pain medication!!! That's why it was prescribed!
I take it at night - I don't like being fuzzy headed at work.