Mad Kitten

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After my tea tonight I let Sophia out from the porch and she was crazy... She kept jumping for my feet which weren't even moving and clawing them... and when I picked her up to tell her off (saying NO to her) and she was biting my hand... anyway I got angry and I caught her to put in the porch and she hissed at me...

Anyway she is the porch to cool down...

Any tips of what to do and why she is doing it?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon I'm sure.

When Sophie misbehaves, yell OW loudly to let her know she hurt you. Also you can hiss at her just like her kitty mom would have done. Another thing to do is gently tap her on the nose while saying NO firmly.

It seems she is just a kitten and she's just behaving like a kitten and needs to learn her boundaries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon I'm sure.

When Sophie misbehaves, yell OW loudly to let her know she hurt you. Also you can hiss at her just like her kitty mom would have done. Another thing to do is gently tap her on the nose while saying NO firmly.

It seems she is just a kitten and she's just behaving like a kitten and needs to learn her boundaries.
might try that thanks

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was there anything outside that she could see that may have upset her? Another cat, a bird? Or she could have been in the midst of the kitten crazies (which last beyond kittenhood
).

When Daphne bites me I yell. She's learned she doesn't like the sound I make when she plays rough. Must sound really bad, poor thing

Seb isn't too bad about biting since he is a senior. Does have moments though. My brother used to play rough with him so Seb thought rough play was acceptable. When a big 14lb furmonster is biting and scratching you, it isn't so cute. So, he and I don't play that way and I think he prefers it. He truly is a mellow guy who doesn't like getting worked up.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She had nothing to play with except your feet and hands out there (?). They don't recognize that our feet are attached to us the same way we do, and just see them as something at their level, with interesting features! They have no concept of right and wrong or appropriate behaviour, so getting mad at them (especially when 10 secs later they've totally forgotten what went on anyhow) for the behaviour is pointless. They may become scared at our loud voices, but won't relate the incident to the next one until they're much older.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At 9 weeks, you can't expect much different! That's incredibly young - most kittens shouldn't even leave Momma yet at that age, so I would cut her some slack - she's just playing. And how much harm can a kitty that size do!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Zoey is 3 months old and the behavior you described sounds exactly like Zoey when she gets into the midst of one of her flurries! She will run around blindly like a mad cat and attack anything that moves and everything that doesn't. Whenever I pick her up to tell her "NO" when she begins to get destructive, she bites and claws and screams at me and flails her little limbs. However, I never put her down until she has decided to stop flailing, biting, clawing, and crying. She calms down a little bit, and then I let her down on the floor to play. She is getting to where she realizes, she'd better calm down or momma's gonna get mad! As far as the physical pain (intended or not), Larke seems to be correct. Whenever she begins to hurt you, yell "OW" if you want. Zoey now knows that "NO" means he is doing something wrong and should stop, and she goes now, 95% of the time. Then pick up your kitten, wait for her to calm down in your hands, just ignore the biting and clawing because she can't seriously harm you at this stage, and then put her down and give her a toy to play with. She's just a kitten, so you can't get impatient with her. Play with her interactively for atleast an hour a day, and whenever she misbehaves, let her know by giving her your 'word' like "OW" or "NO" or "stop it!", pick her up and wait for her to calm down, then give her a toy. But remember to play with her alot, and use toys with handles so you can easily stay away from the eager claws and teeth. She's just a kitten, she's still learning the correct behavior.
It's just a matter of teaching her right from wron, because she has no way of knowing.[/font]

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I make sure that my little guy always has a few toys around to play with. (smaller suffed animals make great playmates for him to wrestle/attack). If he bites, I put him down and ignore him for a bit or use a spray bottle with water - he doesn't like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for all your help.. I will try out all the different ideas that you have all come up with

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a baby and he's mischeivous

My Jack is 10 weeks old and at least 2-3 times a day he'll have a mad half hour like he's had a bowl of red bull, but he's so funny. He growls with his toys, and the cat tree is really getting a hammering from him climbing up it, but that's to be expected.

It sounds like you've scared her
I've got a mixture of toy and balls all over the house and this keeps him entertained.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 9 week old kitten plays, pounces, runs, wrestles with siblings. Thats why its important to leave them with mom/siblings for 3-4 months so they get that important play/learning time.

YOU have become the sibling to your kitten and its doing what is appropriate at that age. Can you adopt another young kitten (like 4-5 months old) so they can play more appropriate?

kami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend DON'T use water spray. Any physical punishment cause bad effect on Cat's character and behavior. My Luna (4 month old Abyssinian) was biting me sometimes when she wants to show me affection or objections. These bites are not serious but I always say her NO/NOCH and I explain her that it is not good to bite me. She carefully listen to me, though she does not know our language but I am sure she understand our feelings from our words. Now she learned that doing BITE is not good. She just needed time to learn it and after a few weeks she totally stopped that.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten has been doing the same thing for nearly 5 weeks now. We found that tapping his nose made him more aggressive the next time. We stopped him by saying no very loudly, putting him on the floor and then turning our back so he had no attention. This worked for us, but he did try to test me for a week or so until he realised that NO MUMMY IS NOT A CHEW TOY!!!! hope you can get it sorted.