Tricks with Water Fountains

z-vap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I was reading several posts from here regarding the Petmate, Catit, and Drinkwell water fountains. I also found the Ergo water fountain, but didn't notice any chatter about that one. I settled on the Petmate version.

I've had mine running for about 4 days now, and was concerned with the pumps noise. I have it all the way down, and just got done taking it apart and cleaning it; thanks to a tip from someone here regarding FelineDiabetes.com. I thought I read somewhere that somebody wraps their fountain in 'something'.

Is there any other tricks that anyone does with their fountains, that you'd like to share?

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To counter the noise problem on our PetMate, we fidget with the lever thing on the pump and ADD WATER (via the water tank) until it's quiet. That pretty much takes care of any noise. (You just cleaned it & took apart the pump, right? )

P.S. If you don't have one (I didn't get one initially), I'd recommend those water fountain cleaning brushes to get to all the nooks & crannies that will eventually get a bit slimy & are impossible to reach (tried in vain w/ q-tips!). I got mine from thecatconnection.com -- 3 brush set for $9.99 -- it works for our other fountains, too (CatIt & Drinkwell Platinum).

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that the noise increases as the water level decreases. You have to be careful not to let the water level get too low or the pump will burn out. Once ours (also a Petmate Fresh Flow) starts making noise we just top it off with water and it usually stops the noise. I'm not sure of any "tricks" per se. The fountains are definately a bit of maintenance.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

I think that the noise increases as the water level decreases. You have to be careful not to let the water level get too low or the pump will burn out. Once ours (also a Petmate Fresh Flow) starts making noise we just top it off with water and it usually stops the noise. I'm not sure of any "tricks" per se. The fountains are definately a bit of maintenance.
I don't have first hand experience with the fountain you're talking about, but I have a Cat-It and a Drinkwell and they both are very quiet except when they are getting low on water. The pumps on those fountains are a version of an underwater aquarium pump and they usually don't make a ton of noise unless they get air in them.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I don't have first hand experience with the fountain you're talking about, but I have a Cat-It and a Drinkwell and they both are very quiet except when they are getting low on water. The pumps on those fountains are a version of an underwater aquarium pump and they usually don't make a ton of noise unless they get air in them.

I have two drinkwells, and the only noise I hear is the gentle splishing the water makes as it falls into the fountain.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a PetMate and the only noise it makes is a bit of a gurgling when the filter needs to be replaced. You can use it without a filter but the reason I bought it is that I *love* that the water is filtered. I clean the pump regularly.

edit: I've had it for over a year.