Recatching a kitten

bleedingarm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There were 4-5 kittens and their mom living behind my apartment complex. I have caught two.
Everything's relatively peachy except, I let them out in this room because I felt bad for them, and was sad to discover that they will FIGHT not to return to their cage. I caught one with a towel around the scruff of its neck, put it in the cage, and then picked up the second. When I opened the door, the first flew out and scratched me multiple times in the process.
So now I have one kitten in a cage and one kitten in my closet. How do I catch the closet kitty? It is feral and it doesn't like me. I expect it's around 7 weeks or older. I seriously doubt it's going to fall for a trap again, and anyway I need to catch it ASAP since they woke me up at 5 AM and I can't leave it out alone (computer cords and various things).

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bleedingarm

There were 4-5 kittens and their mom living behind my apartment complex. I have caught two.
Everything's relatively peachy except, I let them out in this room because I felt bad for them, and was sad to discover that they will FIGHT not to return to their cage. I caught one with a towel around the scruff of its neck, put it in the cage, and then picked up the second. When I opened the door, the first flew out and scratched me multiple times in the process.
So now I have one kitten in a cage and one kitten in my closet. How do I catch the closet kitty? It is feral and it doesn't like me. I expect it's around 7 weeks or older. I seriously doubt it's going to fall for a trap again, and anyway I need to catch it ASAP since they woke me up at 5 AM and I can't leave it out alone (computer cords and various things).
First, do be VERY CAREFUL about the scratches since neither kitten has been vet checked, I would definately keep an eye out to ensure that you do not develop cat scratch fever. Just for future consideration you may want to invest in some heavy gloves (I believe they sell gloves that go up to your arm for people that work with wildlife) in case you find yourself in a situation where that would work.

The best and most humane method is to retrap because it does protect you and the kitten. You can set the trap so that it will not go off until the kitten has become more familiar with it.

Katie

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TNR1, with all due respect, a 7 week old kitten is not hard to catch. I think you mean well, but are going about this all wrong. Where is "mom" and the other two or three kittens?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

TNR1, with all due respect, a 7 week old kitten is not hard to catch. I think you mean well, but are going about this all wrong. Where is "mom" and the other two or three kittens?
With all due respect....did you not read that she was scratched multiples times by this kitten when she tried to catch it the first time around. I appreciate that some individuals have lots of experience with catching kittens and thus do not feel that a trap is necessary...but I've also known people who have had some pretty significant wounds caused by kittens. Some have even had to go to the hospital. A humane trap protects both the kitten and the person.

Katie

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had success with one of my cats who hates the carrier. I completely cover her with a large thick blanket. Depending on whether your kitten is running out of the closet (and then you can use a blanket) or shrunk into the corner (not great for the blanket) this is just a thought.

I hesitated to say this because I agree with Katie that you have to be careful not to injure the little kitten. They are so fragile at that age.

This does help to guard against your getting wounded if the circumstances lend themselves to it.

The kitten is still so young, I would not be surprised if it went for the trap again. Food is a powerful motivator especially the tuna.

Another thing I've learned from talking to vets is that no matter how much drama the cat or kitten interjects into the situation, stay very calm and gentle, and talk softly and lovingly to the kitty. You are the one who is bringing them into a calm state and it is important to set a loving soft tone no matter what they do, and not to let their drama bring you into a crazy place. (easy to say, hard to do!) Good luck!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Considering the damage this little one has already done to you, I agree that setting the trap either close to or even inside the closet, (if there is room), would be the way to go. I've caught some of my cats repeatedly when they find the smell of the food from within too tempting to resist. I had to go out and release my Boo girl this morning and that's her third or fourth time now.

When you do have this one ready to put back in the cage, put a towel up around the door so the other can't see a way out and cause and cause a repeat escape.

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

With all due respect....did you not read that she was scratched multiples times by this kitten when she tried to catch it the first time around. I appreciate that some individuals have lots of experience with catching kittens and thus do not feel that a trap is necessary...but I've also known people who have had some pretty significant wounds caused by kittens. Some have even had to go to the hospital. A humane trap protects both the kitten and the person.

Katie
The cat is hiding inside in a closet for heavens sake! Just leave it there is my advice at this point if this person is so afraid of a 7 week old kitten. It'll come out on it's own when ready. Also, you missed my main point, which is the original poster stated "there are 4-5 kittens and their mom living behind my apartment complex. I have caught two." Well heck, if mom and some siblings are still outside within hearing range of the captured kittens, of course they are going to be more aggressive and try to escape. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this really sounds like a way NOT to go about "rescuing" cats.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

The kitten is still so young, I would not be surprised if it went for the trap again. Food is a powerful motivator especially the tuna.
Given its age the above statement is accurate. I would just give the wee fella a bit of time to adjus as well.

I've only had experience with 1 feral kitten but its was completely opposite to your experience. He was about 5 weeks old, I captured him, took him home, dicovered he had fleas, so gave him a bath and then used a flea spray. Later the same evening he cuddled up to my older cat and slept on my bed. I think he just loved the attention.

Its good of you to take them in
, and I'm sure with a bit of time and patience, they will be excellent pets for you.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

I think you found a "stray", not a feral cat. There's a big difference between the two
The difference between a stray and a feral cat is, that a stray was originally a domesticated cat, that has been abandoned, a feral on the other hand has had little to no human contact.
The mother might have been a stray but giving birth makes the kittens feral.
I didn't mention in my post that I found the mother and kittens in an area where people do not live, therefore no one was feeding these cats and giving them human interaction. I also was hissed at and scratched by the kitten when capturing it.

This bit is quoted on wikipedia, which is not always accurate, but this part would seem to be accurate given that the kitten I caught was only 5wks old.
"Adult feral cats, that were never socialized with humans, can rarely be socialized. Feral kittens can sometimes be socialized to live with humans if they are taken from a feral colony before they are six weeks old: four to five weeks is preferable."

Giving a stray/feral cat time to adjust and being patient with it, is the number one key to the successful taming of it.