Cat at work is sick!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitty at my work is sick! His name is Mittens and he's a 3 yr old white DSH. He's a bit of a loner and kind of bitey (front declawed), but a good guy as long as you respect his space when he wants it.

He had thrown up three times this morning (from partially digested food to "pinkish water") and wasn't eating or drinking all day. I wasn't sure if he had used the litter box in the morning, but he hasn't used it since I changed the litter at 3pm. He's not lethargic, but a little bit less active than usual.

I called a few vets and everyone said that they were booked up because of the long weekend. I convinced my vet to fit me in tomorrow at 3, and decided to take Mittens to the emergency vet when it opened (at 7).

I found him in the master bath, fussing about the toilet area, so I tried turning on the sink and sure enough he drank some!!

On the way to the emerg vet, I stopped and bought him a Cat-It fountain. The emerg vet didn't find anything definitive, but gave him a shot of pepcid or something to settle his stomach. She said he was dehydrated and considered giving him subcutaneous fluids. However, since he had drunk and kept down the water from the tap, we figured we'd try him over night with the cat-it and see how he does. If he needs the IV, he'll get it at his appointment tomorrow.

I set up the fountain and he had a few sips before I left. I told the family what to watch for as far as good signs and red flags. Hopefully he'll be feeling better when I get there tomorrow morning.

Poor little guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

How is he today? I hope he is feeling better.
Well, he had been drinking some overnight, but threw up a lot of water this morning around 7:30. We were going to put him in a room last night, but he had been so unsettled from the vet, he was really wanting to roam through his territory and get comfy, so we let him, and of course when he threw up this morning, it was in the master bedroom. However, he had also peed in the litter box at some point during the night.
No bowel movement as of yet, but he hasn't been eating, so...

Anyway, when I got there, I set him up in a bathroom with a laundry basket, towels to sleep on, a cat fountain and litter box. Just visited with him off and on until 3, when we went to the vet. Good news...his abdomen felt good, so there's no sign of a block. Also, he wasn't dehydrated to the point where he needed subcutaneous fluids. The vet gave him a shot of something to settle his stomach (something different from last night's), and sent us home with a medicine to give him 3 times a day. It's basically kitty pepto bismal

After he had the first dose of that at home, M., the little girl I take care of (whose cat Mittens technically is), sat with him for a while and convinced him to eat 6 pieces of the kibble they gave us at the emerg vet!!! He hadn't eaten since yesterday morning at least. He also hasn't eaten since, but I gave him a bit more medicine when I left for the night and told M. to keep an eye on him and if he eats the 2 kibbles that are out, she can give him a few more (we're suppose to limit his food, so as not to rock the boat).

Hopefully, he'll keep this stuff down tonight and tomorrow morning. I'll be there early and give him his morning dose of medicine, I just hope his stomach can wait that long. He seems to have his vomitting fits in the morning...

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy. Sending many good vibes out to Mittens.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww Mittens is such a sweet name for a kitty.

I hope the little guy is feeling better soon. I'm sure it's a good sign that he's drinking and able to eat a little bit.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Awww Mittens is such a sweet name for a kitty.
I'll tell M. that, she named him. Her brothers all say that it's a dumb name for a male cat, especially one who is all white and doesn't have any markings on his paws.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I'll tell M. that, she named him. Her brothers all say that it's a dumb name for a male cat, especially one who is all white and doesn't have any markings on his paws.
So? She just needs to tell her brothers that Mittens is trying to co-ordinate his fur colour with his choice of clothing. He just wanted to match.

Those brothers just have no imagination!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

So? She just needs to tell her brothers that Mittens is trying to co-ordinate his fur colour with his choice of clothing. He just wanted to match.

Those brothers just have no imagination!
Yeah, really. Brothers! Sheesh! lol They're just mad they didn't get to name him, I think.