if you saw a coyote

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that was covered in mange I am talking head to toe.
the only parts i saw that had hair was the tail, and paws.
and it looked like he was bleeding from several spots..

what would you do?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call DNR and report where and when you saw it. They should have someone come out and try and find it and put it down. Mange can be spread to domestic animals if he comes in contact with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i live in the country, i called, the park people, they said there was nothing anyone can do in my area.

i feel bad for the guy,

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if it were me, and i still lived in the county, and it was that bad off, near death,i would put it down. I know doing it yourself SEEMS cruel, but its not. its quick and basically painless.

seems like the poor thing has so many problems, it would be a blessing for it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trap it and take it to wildlife

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if the appropriate authorities aren't going to do anything about, then taking matters into your own hands is the humane thing, IMO.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i will try those and see if they can give me someone here that can help.

how i can take matters into my own hands, I really perfer not to kill something i am not going to eat.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here, I'd call Animal Control. If it was on Federal or State land, I'd call the Fish & Wildlife Department.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fish & Wildlife is who i called this morning

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Fish & Wildlife is who i called this morning
Thats terrible they wont do anything for the poor guy!! I would say the most humane thing is to put it down, your self....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
call your local wildlife rescue/agency again- by law- they HAVE to do something. if that coyte has scabies (Sarcoptic mange)- which is what it sounds like if it's covered head to toe and bleeding -it needs to be sedated or trapped. Then it MUST be given several Tactic dips and 2 Ivermectin injections (over the course of two weeks) before being released in another location. Scabies is EXTREMLY EXTREMLY contagious! He/she also needs to immedately be started on antibiotics. Preferably cephelaxin - especially if the skin is so irritated that it's bleeding. Or if the infection/infestation is too bad- the animal needs to be humanly pts. please call your local wildlife office though (most AC places are not equipped to handle wildlife of that size so you'll likely hit a dead end there)

~if this animal has come onto your property - you need to take a spray bottle and bleach EVERYTHING outside! -side walk, walkway to your home, anything you've seen it near. (preferable one that you can hook up to a water hose- do straight bleach in there and a little pine sol for to make it foam a bit) let it sit- then rinse it off and do it again. You can use color safe bleach if need be and it won't hurt your grass/etc).

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Eeeeep!! Trap a coyote!?

I would call the appropriate authorities
yeah i think that would be kind of dangerous, I would let a proffesional do that.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Trap it and take it to wildlife
Actually, this is a illegal, unless you have a license from the state to trap and rehabilitate wildlife. Bruse, did you call the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife? I believe you live in district 3. What county is that? I have the phone numbers for each district wildlife office throughout the state if you want it. They may help you, but they may just tell you to let it be

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also put it down.
About 4 years ago,we had one in our drive way.It was eating a bag of garbage that my son had forgotten to take out to the trash.It was covered in mange.....no hair at all.Shawn shot it.It was the most humane thing to do for it.