I don't get some parents

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to lunch with a couple of girlfriends, and one of them has a little boy who'll be 2 in October. She's a self confessed hippy and lets her boy have a pretty free reign. Whatever, raise your kid how you see fit.

But today he was sitting on my lap and I noticed his pants were a bit wet, I figured it was because they'd been to the pool that morning and they hadn't dried or something. I said to his mum "I think he's wet, did he wear these shorts to the pool", and she said no, he's just wet, he was squirming around when I was putting his diaper on, maybe it's not on properly. But then did nothing.... At this stage I had wet pants from him. Yuck.

So she was keen to go have lunch (we were at a coffee shop at this stage), so we went and had lunch and she still didn't fix his diaper!!! I figured maybe she meant something else, and it wasn't actually wee. But he was crawling over all of us and generally being a pain and being grizzly, and at the end of lunch, I picked him up and his pants were even wetter and got my shirt all wet as well. I said to her "oh man, he's soaked". She said "oh yeah I guess we'll fix that when we get home". I mean OH MY GOD!!! I now had wee all over my pants AND shirt, and he was crawling over the other girls at lunch as well, and she was happy to let him.

He was wearing little jeans, and they were SATURATED all down the inside of them by this stage. No wonder he was so grizzly! I find it hard to believe she had no diapers with her - she certainly didn't say "oh man I forgot the diapers" or anything like that, she just didn't bother changing him. And she only lives less than a 5 minute drive from where we were. If it was me, I'd be so embarrassed that my kid got wee all over my friends pants, and if I didn't have any diapers, I'd be popping back home to change his diaper and get him a change of pants.

The poor kid had to sit through having a leaking diaper and saturated jeans all through lunch!

Honestly...

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would be super pissed. that is NASTY!!!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time to get childcare services involved, if she doesnt change his diapers, what else doesnt she do?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so WRONG!
I mean, I understand accidents happen... my boys have had them but I take them straight home and change thier pants, underwear or diaper!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Time to get childcare services involved, if she doesnt change his diapers, what else doesnt she do?
I think she's generally very good - I mean he's a nice kid, and certainly isn't abused. If she ever does anything like that again I'll be talking to her and telling her how disgusting that is.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Argh i HATE that!!! I can't get involved in arguements like that irl because i'm not a mum, but that really sh*ts me. How hard is it to change a diaper? I've done it. Sheesh

Poor child, stupid parent

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

he's a nice kid, and certainly isn't abused.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but to allow a child to sit in urine soaked pants for extended amounts of time, is abuse. Doesn't sound to me like he's in a good environment for either his mental or his physical health. Urine is acidic and it breaks down the skin and causes sores.

Chances are this isn't the first time he's been allowed to sit in urine soaked pants for whatever the reason. I'd venture a guess that it's an ongoing thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and as well as that, they haven't bothered getting Californian drivers licenses (they're Aussie and have been in the US for about 9 months now), and couldn't be bothered, and haven't been bothered putting their license plates on the car.

I swear they're just off with the fairies half the time and don't know how the real world works. Really nice people, just haven't got a clue.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oh and as well as that, they haven't bothered getting Californian drivers licenses (they're Aussie and have been in the US for about 9 months now), and couldn't be bothered, and haven't been bothered putting their license plates on the car.

I swear they're just off with the fairies half the time and don't know how the real world works. Really nice people, just haven't got a clue.
Tristans out in the country in an area full of either farmers, artists and hippies. I LOOVE seeing the hippies but sometimes its strange to me the way they handle their children

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is NOT good to leave him in urine soaked pants - he will get a rash and it could get infected. That would not be good for him.. that poor boy!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's gross... and unsanitary. He was crawling over everybody and you guys were eating. Yuck.

I'm going to have to agree it sounds like neglect. Maybe they aren't neglectful in other ways, but this is still neglect. And did I say gross?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OHHHHHHH yuck... I would call the officals on this ... A two yr olds parents should have at least a change of clothes evan if the kid was trained...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh ick! I'd not have been able to stand it as long as you did! I'm not a Mom yet so maybe that makes me a bit more concious? But I don't know....I've always known it seems that when I'm with the little ones I need to make sure they have a change of clothse. I guess I just did enough babysitting? I hope you do speak up if something like that happens again. It won't be long before other kids tease him for things his parents may not find the need to stress.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hasn't this woman ever heard of diaper rash? To allow a small child to remain in a wet diaper comes very close to child neglect.

I had a huge tote bag, filled with extra diapers, wipes and a change of clothes, when my kids were small and my DIL is the same way.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy - he must have been SO uncomfortable! Maybe she was just thinking of herself - but that's what having kids is about - to reach beyond yourself and think of others. Maybe someone could gently remind her...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I tend to agree here. Parents of a 2 year old should not be slacking off.

heavenangels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RI the littlest stop on the map..........
Sounds like she came first the child was second here. I don't understand why she didn't have a change of clothes with her she new she was going to be out for awhile not running a quick errand.
No one else said anything about this child being wet during lunch I wouldn't of held him or let him set on my lap I would of gave him a kiss and handed him to his mother and said change him !
Real sad laid back mom or not child still need to be changed.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

i would be super pissed. that is NASTY!!!!!
Pun intended?
But yah, letting your kid run around with pee soaking through their clothes isn't exactly a good thing to do..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree, this would be considered abuse - the neglect version. she could be held liable. i would gently inform her of this - in the U.S., CPS could be informed anonymously by anyone who was aware of the condition of her child, & her child could be taken from her. i've seen it happen.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

It is NOT good to leave him in urine soaked pants - he will get a rash and it could get infected. That would not be good for him.. that poor boy!
He can get what's called Urine Burn...... VERY painful. Even more so then an average diaper rash.