sunscreen?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried about Luxor sunbathing, he absolutely loves it but i don't want him to get burnt. Is there anything I can put on him to protect his ears and nose? Or is he OK because he's not totally white. I can't imagine that he'll be OK if I let him do this....

eHow

The Daily Mews

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is any problem. Is he in the sun outside or thru a window? I don't know if that makes a difference, but I have never seen a sunburnt cat

If it seem to grow into a problem, then stop letting him do it. Good luck though, most cats spend a good part of their day sunbathing!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with white ears/face have more a tendency to get sunburned if allowed in direct sun. If they sit in the window (with it closed) I don't think they can get sunburned.

I owned several all white rexes and they sat in the window but never got sunburned.

Since he's not white, don't think you need to worry.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I know lighter animals can get sunburnt, although I've never heard of a specific case... I only take Oliver outside in the evenings when the sun's going down, so I'm not worried... I think I'd be more worried about an all-white cat that had lots of sun exposure....

However, when we take our black lab to the beach, I always dab spf 30 onto her nose (even though it's black) since it's the only not hairy place on her! (She doesnt tend to stretch out belly-up on the beach cuz there's too much for her to keep an eye on, haha)

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I have never seen a sunburnt cat, nor heard of one. Everybody is always concerned and paranoid about Zoey (cat people) because they say, "You need to completely cover her in sun screen so when she goes out in the morning, she won't get sunburnt!" But I think it's like with horses. There are greys: they have dark skin, though they may have white hair. A true white, has pink skin, and they do get sunburnt on their nose and around their eyes and ears. Unless your cat has very light/pink skin, I completely doubt that he'll get sunburnt. Another example: an African-American (trying to be politically correct here
) never gets sunburned. Right? But us white people do! Same with cats...
So don't worry, we have gone through probably 150 outdoor cats, and they have never ever been sunburned... not even our pale greys.
[/font]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
phew, now i'm a little calmer. it's thru a window anyway......i just wanted to be sure...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHite cats do get skin cancer if they have too much sun. Our own Hissy has just rescued a white cat with cancerous ears which have both had to be amputated. And while she was waiting for the surgery, things got significantly worse because inadvertently the cat (Twirl - look up the thread) managed to sleep in a sunny window. So I always put sunblock (Nivea for kids Factor 50 is what I use) on my white cats' ears and noses all through summer. They don't like it but they get used to it, like everything else.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"] See, that makes sense. Because your cats are true whites, and therefore can get sunburnt. But I wouldn't worry about Luxor, Renovia. By the way, I am like in love with both of them, they are beeeauuutifuuuulllll.....[/font]

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]I have never seen a sunburnt cat, nor heard of one. Everybody is always concerned and paranoid about Zoey (cat people) because they say, "You need to completely cover her in sun screen so when she goes out in the morning, she won't get sunburnt!" But I think it's like with horses. There are greys: they have dark skin, though they may have white hair. A true white, has pink skin, and they do get sunburnt on their nose and around their eyes and ears. Unless your cat has very light/pink skin, I completely doubt that he'll get sunburnt. Another example: an African-American (trying to be politically correct here
) never gets sunburned. Right? But us white people do! Same with cats...
So don't worry, we have gone through probably 150 outdoor cats, and they have never ever been sunburned... not even our pale greys.
[/font]
i have to say thats not entirely true. African Americans( to use your terms) CAN and do get sunburnt. and i have a white and orange cat that DOES get sunburnt, on the tips of her ears alot, and she dosent even have to be in the sun, she could be in a window.

and last weekend, i got sunburnt sitting in front of a window with the sun directly on me.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having dealt with pre-cancerous scabs in a black and white cat, I wouldn't take the risks - she was 11 and had had a home life, I also had a 14 year old ginger and white who had lived rough for 3 years, yet didn't have any issues, so you can't tell who will and wont be affected. The vet told me last year that the average age for developing issues in the UK is 10-11 cos we dont have strong sun, yet one of my friends who does rescue has just had to have a second ear amputation done on a rescue cat who is only 7. I have a pet sunscreen, and if we ever see some sun in the UK (heavy rain in July at the moment!!), the long term foster who has a white nose will have some on before going out, I never burn, and have managed it on the one good weekend we have had here.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all people are capable of burning. Those with more melanin do not burn as quickly as those with less. I will burn in 10 minutes, my nieces and goddaughter can play in the sun for hours before getting burned.

I have never had a cat that burns but have never owned a very fair colored cat. I really feel for those who get burned. Poor things

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, luxor isn't really fair but he also is much lighter than stoli. he will spend hours and hours in the sun, through a window if he can. I think I should still put a little on him on those days when sunning is more important than bird watching.