Foreign films

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you ever watch foreign films? When I say foreign films, I mostly mean films in other languages, with or without subtitles.

I rarely watch them as I don't have the patience for subtitles and find that it distracts me from the film. 2 movies I have found however to be better with the original language and subtitles. (I hate dubbed films). For these 2 movies I found that shortly into the film I didn't even notice that I was reading - it just came across as nature.

The 2 films are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Pan's Labrynith. Both were brilliant, story wise and cinematically.

Are there any other good foriegn films that you can suggest.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so would love to see Pan's Labyrinth, I thinks it OnDemand now.

Last movie was Amilie, an adorable little french film. Totally loved that movie!!!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that there are some people who liked Pan's Labyrinth, I loved that movie but most people I have talked about it with thought it was to hard to follow.
I watch on call Cassiopeia which was Italian a couple of years ago that was really good. I actually caught it on IFL late one night. I have looked for a copy in the video store a couple of times but think because it was released in the late 70's it will be impossible to find.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love foreign films.

They have got to be my favorite genre. I like really weird movies and foreign seems to have the weirdest movies of them all.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sure i watch them from time to time, mostley, japanese and chinese movies.
lol i even watch Thai TV at work sometimes

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I love "foreign" films! However, if they are subtitled I have to be really awake and in the mood to just sit and watch a movie. I tend to have the attention span of a peanut these days and can't just sit and watch TV for 2 hours straight, so I haven't been watching subtitled movies lately.

I particularly love "Bollywood" movies! They are musicals and remind me of a whole different era of movies when things were music, and fun and fanciful.

I have seen movies with English subtitles that were German, Japanese, and Danish. All were good and all worth seeing, unfortunately I don't remember the names of most of them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I am glad to hear that there are some people who liked Pan's Labyrinth, I loved that movie but most people I have talked about it with thought it was to hard to follow.
I thought that it was absolutely stunning! A captivating story that was at the same time highly disturbing. The little girl was brilliant in the roll and the man who played the Captian - great acting.

Oh I forgot - I also really thought that Jesus De Montreal was excellent. But that was out about 15 years ago.

I tend to watch Chinese martial arts films - they have got to be one of my fav things to watch.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both look very interesting. I do really want to see Amelie.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Both look very interesting. I do really want to see Amelie.
Rent it. Today. For real. It's that good.

I do want to say there are some "adult" moments in that movie, but it's not over the top.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Rent it. Today. For real. It's that good.

I do want to say there are some "adult" moments in that movie, but it's not over the top.
Well, today is bathnight for the boys, so no movies for mommy tonight. Hopefully this weekend....

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watch foreign films all the time, and I prefer subtitles over dubbing -- I hate it when lips and words don't match. It doesn't bother me to be "reading" while I'm watching a movie (although it drives J insane -- he'd rather have dubbing).

One really good French-language movie I saw a few years ago was Brotherhood of the Wolf. Another one I really enjoyed is J'en suis (or Heads or Tails -- "j'en suis" doesn't really translate into English), which has some really funny scenes in it. I enjoy watching French movies in part because I usually get to a point about halfway through the movie where I suddenly realize I'm no longer reading the subtitles; my French is "good" enough that, with what I had already read and an understanding of the plot and the action on the screen, I can follow along with the dialogue. It's been useful in brushing up my French-language skills.