Cat Reaction to Showering

curiouselliot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 13 yr old cat Muffles has always had this persistent behavior in which she desperately wants to jump on me and be held as soon as I exit the shower. If she is not in the bathroom when i finish showering she inevitably paws the door and meows insistently until I let her in. Any idea what might cause this behavior?

The only thing i can think of is that when one showers they get rid of all foreign scents on the body accrued throughout the day, and for some reason this attracts her to me.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Haha, the only thing I could think is she knows you've showered off her "ownership" of you scent and she needs to reapply! Nothin like cat hair stuck to a wet owner

Oliver only barges in the bathroom when I'm going potty - he likes to watch the flush, haha.... gotta teach him how to close the door behind him though

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Haha, the only thing I could think is she knows you've showered off her "ownership" of you scent and she needs to reapply! Nothin like cat hair stuck to a wet owner
I agree with that, she has a need to make you smell as if you belong to her if you've just washed her scent off you! Also many cats like to lick water off surfaces rather than drink from a bowl, she may just like drinking the drops of water off you or the shower/bath/floor/your hair etc.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cat Uno does this as well but only to the BF. If he is in the shower she meows and paws at the door. As soon as he comes out she has to rub all over his legs.

We figured she liked the smell of soap

She does this to me as well but she does not insist on getting in the bathroom. She just waits until I get out and then rubs all over me.

She will also get in the tub and like the drops and meow.

Lets face it, cats are weird

asteff2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leo usually has his face pressed up against the shower door - little pervert! Other times he just sits outside the shower and starts rubbing up on my legs as soon as I'm out. He usually disappears once the dampness has been rubbed off my legs - oh my! Sometimes I wonder about him!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buddy sits on the side of the tub and plays peek-a-boo around the shower curtain.

If I take a bath, he sits on the toilet lid and Rowdy sits on the side of the tub.

I think that they are mystified, as to WHY I want water ALL over my body

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Buddy sits on the side of the tub and plays peek-a-boo around the shower curtain.

If I take a bath, he sits on the toilet lid and Rowdy sits on the side of the tub.

I think that they are mystified, as to WHY I want water ALL over my body
*ding ding ding* I think for Cody at least, that would be it! Cody sits there and looks at me like "OMG! You humans are so WEIRD! Water-EWWWW!"

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My bathroom door is permanently damaged on the bottom from the monster (i mean that lovingly, he knows it, he answers to monster
)scratching at it trying to get in, whether it's when I'm going or when I am showering... when I was away he must have thought I was in there, because he tore the thing up until my mother showed him I wasn't home.