A Thought From Iraq for the Fourth of July

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From a Chaplain in Iraq.

"I recently attended a showing of "Superman 3" here at LSA Anaconda. We have a large auditorioum we use for movies as well as memorial services and other large gatherings. As is the custom back in the States, we stood and snapped to attention when the National Anthem began before the main feature. All was going as planned until about three-quarters of the way through the National Anthem the music stopped.

Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-22 year-olds back in the States? I imagine there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a few rude comments, and everyone would sit down and call for a movie. Of course, that is, if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first place.

Here, the 1,000 Soldiers continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward. The music started again. The Soldiers continued to quietly stand at attention. And again, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you expect to happen? Even here I would imagine laughter as everyone sat down and expected the movie to start.

Here, you could have heard a pin drop. Every Soldier stood at attention. Suddenly there was a lone voice, then a dozen, and quickly the room was filled with the voices of a thousand Soldiers

'And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?'

It was the most inspiring moment I have had here in Iraq. I wanted you to know what kind of Soldiers are serving you here.

====================

Written by Chaplain Jim Higgins on 5/14/07. LSA Anaconda is at the Balad Airport in Iraq, north of Baghdad"

Happy Fourth of July, Everyone!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful! I'm not a fan of going to the movies, but my parents and I used to go to the base for movies. (They still do.) There is just something about paying that respect that I miss in other places. BTW...DH spent one deployment at that base before he finished his enlistment. I think we have a picture of that movie theater.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very touching. Happy 4 of July and Thank you to those of you that keep us free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Beautiful! I'm not a fan of going to the movies, but my parents and I used to go to the base for movies. (They still do.) There is just something about paying that respect that I miss in other places. BTW...DH spent one deployment at that base before he finished his enlistment. I think we have a picture of that movie theater.
Another military brat! I remember going to the movies on base when I was little - the kids got to sit down front - it seems we were either watching westerns or Doris Day movies - this was a long, long time ago - in the olden days!
Thank your DH for serving in the military!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just went through the picture CD and found the theater. Of course things could have changed since this pic was taken (one of the other guys gave DH a CD full of pics) but I like being able to see some of what they have.

Of course this building was just taken over, not something they built. And it looks nothing like the other buildings on the CD either. The theater sign is on the far right. They had Star Wars showing at the time.
I thoght it was great that they had a Subway, but DH said it wasn't really as good as our Subway's back home.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful. I wouldn't expect anything less out of the people serving our country.

On a side note, as a vet, it really burns my ass to hear people hooting and hollering and whistling and cheering at sporting events before the National Anthem has finished. On yeah, and there's also the people still talking, walking, eating, drinking and leaving their hats on. I'll stop now before I get started...