Talking Cats

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I've seen the videos on YouTube where the cats sound like they're saying thing and I had a coworker who told me that her cat said things like "mama" and "water". She says she actually trained one of her cats to say "mama". I've been trying this with Luna, but so far can only get her to say "ma". So, I guess it could be possible since they seem to be able to pronounce the correct sounds, but has anybody intentionally trained their cat to say anything resembling words? Or for that matter, trained their cat to do anything on command (besides "come" which i think is an easy one if you act like you have treats haha).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the "mama" sound is very easy and common for them to do, Tomas does that whenever he gets really excited for his wet food.
Strangely, he only only says 'mama' at me when I'm feeding him, DH gets trills and other excited meows.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver can't say words but he does know american sign language!

I've taught him the signs for cookie, food (for his wet food, since dry is always available), water, come, go, up, down, no, etc.... granted, he's still a cat and doesnt always choose to obey, but I can tell he knows what I'm signing to him
he picked up cookie and food REAL fast and will run to wherever said edible is upon seeing the sign

Got the idea from my aunt - she's deaf (speaks, reads lips and signs: all incredibly) and decided to adopt a blue-eyed white deaf kitty, obviously they needed a way to communicate!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a video called 'Animal Attraction' which says that cats can use approx. 60 vocalizations. I just wish Blossom would meow. She has an almost silent meow which she rarely uses. Even if she's trodden on accidentally, she barely makes a noise.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat Mitten was probably the best "talker" and trained to do several tricks. He could ask for milk, out, no and a few others (can't remember).

I taught him how to shake hands/paws (like a dog would), to jump on a chair on command and he'd guess which hand held the treat by slapping it with his paw.

I know Charlie would be able to learn a few tricks; just haven't taken the time to train him yet. But he does come when you call his name (90% of the time)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our best talker was RB kitty Tom Tinker. Mom would talk to him in the mornings and it could be how he learned to vocalize "meat", "milk", "in" (me-in), and "out" (me-out). We weren't the only ones to understand him. One afternoon our neighbor was over for coffee (and to kvetch about her family because Mom's a good listener) and she heard him talk.

Tinker stood by his bowl and said "meat".
Neighbor's jaw dropped and said "That cat just said meat."
Mom told her to watch and gave Tinker milk. He looked at the milk, looked up at Mom and said, louder, "Meat!".
Mom fed him and he was happy. He then went to the door and said "Out".
Neighbor shook her head. She already thought we were odd because of our daylilies and Mom's hybrdizing.

kitkat84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow, your cat does amazed me...i think obie my cat will need more time to understand human language, esp. indonesian because we use longer words heehee...ex. : out=keluar, sit = duduk, meat=daging...hmmp yea, i think i better teach him english instead

faustmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Faust talks a LOT! He does say out. He will go to the door or come to you and it is a very distinctive meow that sounds a lot like OUT.

He does also talk to you if you talk to him. There have even been times that if he could speak english you know he cursed. He is not withou a lot of personality.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good, I'm not nuts for thinking my cat is having conversations with me... if he wants something, it's very specific noises (I haven't distinguished between them yet), and if I say what, he seems to have an answer for me... sometimes he just initiates 'conversation', especially if I come home later than usual from work and I say, "Oh I know" and he's satisfied that I heard him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oliver can't say words but he does know american sign language!

I've taught him the signs for cookie, food (for his wet food, since dry is always available), water, come, go, up, down, no, etc.... granted, he's still a cat and doesnt always choose to obey, but I can tell he knows what I'm signing to him
he picked up cookie and food REAL fast and will run to wherever said edible is upon seeing the sign

Got the idea from my aunt - she's deaf (speaks, reads lips and signs: all incredibly) and decided to adopt a blue-eyed white deaf kitty, obviously they needed a way to communicate!
Wow. That's really amazing!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I'm getting a kitten soon. What is the likelihood that I'll be able to train him/her to say stuff? And how would I do this? It's all very interesting to me.