I did it - got the FURMINATOR

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I broke down and got the medium furminator for my two furbabies - bought it online, got free shipping - cost $31 and change woohoo!!

so far, though, the cats are less than impressed - but the fur is flying!

Punkin will only allow me to get his back. I had no idea just how much extra fur he's carrying around. Already (after maybe 10 minutes) he feels much softer.

Sneakers, on the other paw, didn't care for it at all - but to be honest (and fair) he'd already been raked pretty good with another comb earlier today (before the Furminator arrived).

all in all, i think it's going to be great. it's just going to take some time.

on a related note, i had no idea how heavy the furminator is. i have to be careful not to press down too hard.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used mine on Ginger last night for about 20 minutes - she seemed to love it and I got another giant clump of fur off her.

I LOVE how her coat is looking without all that loose stuff underneath!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do feel sleeker and softer after a good brushing with it.

small warning though, some cats do not have much of a top coat so be careful not to over use the furminator, Bumper gets bald patches with just a small covering of top coat if overbrushed

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the "bamboo" pet/cat shedding tool at petsmart yesterday and it works great. It is also about half the cost of the furminator...for those, like me, that are looking for a good deal
It has about a 2" blade and the blade is mounted inside a half-circle shaped handle....It took off about a football-sized clump of hair from my cat toby within 5 minutes.

Art

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lady_tiger61

So I broke down and got the medium furminator for my two furbabies - bought it online, got free shipping - cost $31 and change woohoo!!

so far, though, the cats are less than impressed - but the fur is flying!

Punkin will only allow me to get his back. I had no idea just how much extra fur he's carrying around. Already (after maybe 10 minutes) he feels much softer.

Sneakers, on the other paw, didn't care for it at all - but to be honest (and fair) he'd already been raked pretty good with another comb earlier today (before the Furminator arrived).

all in all, i think it's going to be great. it's just going to take some time.

on a related note, i had no idea how heavy the furminator is. i have to be careful not to press down too hard.
Is it a brush?

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woo i got my furminater yesterday and after lightly brushing my 3 got enough hair to make another cat!!! best 29$ I ever spent.

I think if you can find the cash or save up for one it is worth it.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Xulili

Woo i got my furminater yesterday and after lightly brushing my 3 got enough hair to make another cat!!! best 29$ I ever spent.

I think if you can find the cash or save up for one it is worth it.
is there anything like this for the UK?

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]If Zoey was long-haired, I would definitely invest in this! If you're gonna spend $30, why not prevent hair from flying all over simultaneously? I just got a 4 dollar slicker brush from PetCo and it works great for Zoey, because she doesn't shed that much anyway really. But when I use it, it gets all the excess hair out. Like I said, if she were longhaired, I would definitely invest in this! Anybody have any ideas for just a regular "pleasure" brush, since Zoey doesn't paticularly enjoy the slicker brush?[/font]

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It actually gets more out of my shorthairs than the long hairs

According to furminator's website, you can buy it in the UK from:

HUB International (£29.57 - £34.74 Including VAT at 17.5%)
www.hubint.com

Simpsons Of Langley Ltd.
www.simpsons-online.co.uk (£27.19 - £31.95 Including VAT at 17.5%)

so depending on shipping costs / if they have a local store etc

and these stores:

Techno Groom (GTS)
23-25 Lanark Rd
Carluke, S.Lanarkshire
ML8 4HE
011 44 1555 770771
United Kingdom

Best Direct (International) Ltd
Aspect Gate 166 College Road
Harrow Middlesex
HA11BH
44 (0)20 88619600
United Kingdom

Simpsons Of Langley Ltd.
4 Lakeside Business Units Block Fen Road
Mepal, Cambridgeshire
CB6 2AY
01354-691-837
United Kingdom

dogcessories
2 Paradise Grove
Pelsall Walsall West Midlands
ws3 4nn
United Kingdom

petcetera etc
Tarporley Road
Whitchurch Shropshire
SY13 4HD
01948 668100
United Kingdom
www.petcetera.co.uk

TJ Canine Services
15 The Burlongs, Glebe Road
Wootton Bassett, Swindon, Wiltshire
SN4 7DR
01793 854666
United Kingdom

kitkat84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i was really tempted with this furminator thing, but it's so bloody expensive.( it's 1/5 of my monthly salary!) ...
plus, since my location is in indonesia, the shipping fee will be huge.....and i haven't found it at any petshop in here.....i think i'll just satisfy myself with the greyhound comb from catit for my angoran cat...btw, as far as i know slicker brush is only for shorthair, if you have a longhair better choose the greyhound comb...is it true?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! I love mine. Try using short strokes rather then long ones. It seems to work better that way with my Persians and the fur tends to not fly around quite as much.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What size does everyone buy? I see there is a cat tool and a medium tool. We have two cats around 6-7 pounds, the other two are around 10 pounds. We have three persians and one stray DSH. Does anyone have any recommendations of which size I should go with? I saw what it could do and I tell you it could do wonders for our persians.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

What size does everyone buy? I see there is a cat tool and a medium tool. We have two cats around 6-7 pounds, the other two are around 10 pounds. We have three persians and one stray DSH. Does anyone have any recommendations of which size I should go with? I saw what it could do and I tell you it could do wonders for our persians.
The medium works best on my 9-11 pounders.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also bought the furminator a month or so ago. My two short hair furbabies love it so much and I love it too because of all the loose hair I can get before it gets all over the sofa. Amazing! I use the furminator on them once a week and a normal brush on a daily basis.

I wouldn't recommend to use the furminator daily because the blade like comb looks almost like it might also pull non-loose hair which can potentially led to balding. Just a precautionary measure.