Aaccckkkk!!!! Bald Spots!

dragonfly183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that was dropped off a few weeks ago. she was absolute bones and we have been nursing her back to health. i noticed bald spots on her a few days ago. Then I noticed bald spots on one of my other cats this afternoon. This is not ringworm, they are not round. Also the skin is not inflamed or crusty and there is some hair in areas so i don't think its falling out. it just looks like there scratching it off. it seems to be concentrated around there necks.

what do you guys think?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you'll need to have a vet do a culture to determine what it is, exactly. ringworm isn't always round, in my experience.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dragonfly183

I have a cat that was dropped off a few weeks ago. she was absolute bones and we have been nursing her back to health. i noticed bald spots on her a few days ago. Then I noticed bald spots on one of my other cats this afternoon. This is not ringworm, they are not round. Also the skin is not inflamed or crusty and there is some hair in areas so i don't think its falling out. it just looks like there scratching it off. it seems to be concentrated around there necks.

what do you guys think?
First of all, bless you for nursing this poor baby to health.

Of course, I am not a vet....but it COULD be fleas. I just got over a horrible flea problem....and most the fleas were infested in their little necks....they were scratching their hair out.

Check for fleas....but this is only a suggestion...a possibility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragonfly183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you know, I think that it might be fleas. They have been unusually bad here this year (maybe its all the rain). I dipped all of the cats again not to long ago and they were all just infested. I am afraid to put anything on her in this delicate condition though. You can't count every rib anymore but she is still pitifully thin. Hopefully if I keep stuffing her full of vitamins and good food i can go ahead and dip her like the other cats in a week or two.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please go on the thread I posted about Fleas.....you do not have to dip them....try the Advantage....I used it and the Borax on the rugs and ALL the fleas disappeared. Dipping? I don't know....but see if anyone else gives you advice...and good luck.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat gets bald spots when she gets fleas (her skin is fairly sensitive)...her vet said she's "allergic" to fleas. I started using Advantage and the bald spots went away...along with the fleas.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats get bald spots due to food allergy. Bald spots on the head and neck only are particularly consistent with this, but you can really only be sure if other possibilities (like fleas) have been ruled out.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb is allergic to fleas, too. He begins to go bald on his lower back as soon as he gets a bite. I use Advantage on both cats and no longer have to worry about fleas

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

Some cats get bald spots due to food allergy. Bald spots on the head and neck only are particularly consistent with this, but you can really only be sure if other possibilities (like fleas) have been ruled out.
also, if the bald spots are on the face/neck are, it could be a plastic allergy, assuming the food dishes are plastic. Cable did this as a kitten - it went away when i changed her over to ceramic.