Killing Roaches with Indoor Cats

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems like I hop from one problem to another...you all helped me so much with the flea situation (Borax and Advantage (for dogs)...and I have NO fleas now. It is wonderful.

Now...I am having a problem with german roaches and once in awhile...palmetto bugs. I live in Florida and it can get bad here.

However, about three months ago a "person" moved in next door and is not a "clean" person. The other neighbors started complaining about these roaches....and their landlords hired an exterminator.

With my 16 babies in the house...I cannot have an exterminator in here.

What I have tried so far is Boric Acid (seems to help a little) and some of those roach traps. I have spray....but I am SOOOOO afraid to use it.

Does anyone know of any spray or something good that will kill the nasty little creatures and not harm my old, old babies?

I really would like to hear from people that have actually tried something and it worked. Don't mean to sound like a snob...but so many people here have given me suggestions....but have never used the stuff they recommend....they just said "they heard" it was good.

Thanks again....just one thing after another here. At this point, I have to put the kitty food in the fridge when it starts to get dark. My cats have always had access to food when they wanted it....and by morning it was all gone. They all have their own eating habits....some eat right away...some...a little at a time.

Would appreciate any help I can get.

I just sprayed a little behind the stove a few minutes ago....no cats around...and I can taste it in my mouth....so will never use that again.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I said "I really would like to hear from people that have actually tried something and it worked. Don't mean to sound like a snob...but so many people here have given me suggestions....but have never used the stuff they recommend....they just said "they heard" it was good." I was referring to people here in Jacksonville, FL...not people on the forum.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try to get some human grade diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around your baseboards, under the sinks, sprinkle in your carpeting (work it in with a broom). This stuff is totally harmless to animals and humans (just don't breathe it in - it's fine if ingested but not inhaled). I had a big ant problem and it solved it for me. It's also wonderful for getting rid of those nasty fleas that hide in carpeting and upholstery.

I got mine at our local nursery - some of them will carry it, but you should call around first and save yourself footsteps and hassle. I actually had to call about 3 before I found one that carried it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, with roaches, you don't want to mess around. Their numbers can very quickly multiply.

Is there anywhere you and your pets can go while your home is being sprayed/fumigated? It may be something you'll want to consider if the roach problem gets bad enough.

And as one of the thread in the lounge pointed out, take along your delicate electronics, such as your computer.

For the time being, roach traps in unaccessible places (to cats) may help some.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lived in an apartment in Wisconsin where a neighbor who was a junk hoarder brought them in. All living things had to evacuate the apartment on days the exterminator was there. We also had to take all of our dishes out and put them in rubbermaid containers or cover them. It took 4 intense treatments before it was better. And even then they were still treating the neighbor's apartment.
We stayed at my in-law's house each time the apartment was treated.

I wouldn't mess around with roaches. The maintenance guy said the offending apartment was bad. We could hear them in the walls, it drove the cats just about nuts. Luckily I am fanatical about sealing things from bugs, so there wasn't anything for them in our apartment. We couldn't even leave the kitty's food out. I didn't even know what roaches looked like before that situation. Never want to deal with it again either.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You could try to get some human grade diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around your baseboards, under the sinks, sprinkle in your carpeting (work it in with a broom). This stuff is totally harmless to animals and humans (just don't breathe it in - it's fine if ingested but not inhaled). I had a big ant problem and it solved it for me. It's also wonderful for getting rid of those nasty fleas that hide in carpeting and upholstery.

I got mine at our local nursery - some of them will carry it, but you should call around first and save yourself footsteps and hassle. I actually had to call about 3 before I found one that carried it.
Thanks for everyone's help.....I ordered some diatomaceous earth (could not find it anywhere here where I live) and also some professional jel that you put in cracks and crevices....(far away from where kitties can get it). Wish me luck....I am totally freaked out with roaches....would rather be put in a room with 100 snakes than one big cockroach!!!!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Thanks for everyone's help.....I ordered some diatomaceous earth (could not find it anywhere here where I live) and also some professional jel that you put in cracks and crevices....(far away from where kitties can get it). Wish me luck....I am totally freaked out with roaches....would rather be put in a room with 100 snakes than one big cockroach!!!!
Good luck!
I totally agree with you on roaches. They are icky.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Honestly, with roaches, you don't want to mess around. Their numbers can very quickly multiply.

Is there anywhere you and your pets can go while your home is being sprayed/fumigated? It may be something you'll want to consider if the roach problem gets bad enough.

And as one of the thread in the lounge pointed out, take along your delicate electronics, such as your computer.

For the time being, roach traps in unaccessible places (to cats) may help some.
I tend to agree - roaches are very difficult to get rid of. The best way to do it is to have professionals in like your development is doing. The only way it will work though is if they can do EVERY unit including yours. If they don't, then the roaches go away from the areas treated until the pesticide dies down and re-inhabit and you've got the same problem all over again. I used to live in an apartment building one time and knew the owner. He said there was no point in bringing in a fumigator for one or two units - the whole building had to be done at the same time.

I know with your many cats, it will be difficult for you to find a place to go for the time required, but hopefully you will find a solution for his, otherwise you are likely to have the roach problem ongoing.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I tend to agree - roaches are very difficult to get rid of. The best way to do it is to have professionals in like your development is doing. The only way it will work though is if they can do EVERY unit including yours. If they don't, then the roaches go away from the areas treated until the pesticide dies down and re-inhabit and you've got the same problem all over again. I used to live in an apartment building one time and knew the owner. He said there was no point in bringing in a fumigator for one or two units - the whole building had to be done at the same time.

I know with your many cats, it will be difficult for you to find a place to go for the time required, but hopefully you will find a solution for his, otherwise you are likely to have the roach problem ongoing.
I guess, once again, I did not make myself clear. I do not live in an apartment....I live in a house and the woman in the house next door was infested.....and when the fumigator came to do her house he said it was really bad....and they "might" come to my house.

At any rate, I cannot deal with an exterminator in the house....I will try all the advice I received from the fumigator.