Stray kittens

straycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I found 2 stray kittens. I am assuming the black and white one is a boy and the gray and white is a girl. I fed them some wet food. I have 3 cats so I had some wet food. I also gave it some dry food later that evening along with water. So this morning I gave them or her as the black and white one didn't return yet some food. I can tell she is very young since when she tried to meow at me nothing came out. Well right now I don't know what to do. Should I keep feeding her? She doesn't look like she's owned since she is behind a house where it doesn't look like she would be owned. She comes through the little hole in the fence. I can't even get close enough no matter what I do. I don't even know if she was abandoned by her mother. I would think the mother or father were black and the other was white since the kittens were together and they both had white on them and the gray must of been a mixture. So as of now I really don't know what to do. Please give me some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually a little update here. I had figured that it is probably owned since outside cats will wonder and if you were to actually walk a couple 10 feet you would be at the front door of the house. I will still feed it from time to time just in case though. I would still want a second opinion on this though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the problem? Are you troubling she is owned? Or are you asking how to proceed with taking in and fostering a outside born, half wild kitten?

Proceed with the food AND do write her/them up on message boards /posters in the neighborhood....

Next project is of course to think either of taking her in, or make someone else to take her in.
So small kittens without their mother are almost helpless, without any real defences.
THAT is your problem...

If you take her in, think about some sort of quarantene in the beginning as you do have homecats. Good if a vet check her up, etc...
But once this is done, you will have great help by your homecats with fostering.

Please, do proceed with your work.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Straycat

Actually a little update here. I had figured that it is probably owned since outside cats will wonder and if you were to actually walk a couple 10 feet you would be at the front door of the house. I will still feed it from time to time just in case though. I would still want a second opinion on this though.
Hi Straycat....welcome and thanks for caring.

I would also be concerned about 2 young kittens wondering on their own. First, if they haven't received all their shots, they really shouldn't be outside and second, they really shouldn't be outside until they have been spayed/neutered.

I would post flyers around the neighborhood (and contact your local shelters, ACOs). One person I know puts "found" collars on any kitten or cat that she finds along with her name and number so that if there is an owner, the owner will contact her.

If you don't get a response to the flyers..it is probably best to take these little ones to the vet for a check up. Depending on their age..they should have received one or more FVRCP shots and a rabies shot. Use a carrier to try to lure them in (don't try to pick them up yourself since they could scratch or bite you).

It would also help to know where you live...city and state to find resources that you could reach out to.

Are there many 'strays' in your neighborhood? If so, it may be best to involve a TNR group.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I can't tell if its owned or not. She does go where steps are to a house but I don't know where she goes after that because I lose her. I never had a outside cat before so I wouldn't know if a owner would let a kitten run free. Probably not but I'm really not sure. Shes way too afraid of me. I can't do a thing. It might take a few days before I can even get within 5 inches of her. As of the black and white one, well I haven't seen it since the first day. I'm still thinking it has a mom somewhere and the gray one is just wandering off. She is literally right at the the front of the house if she was to walk right a few inches. It really does look like its owned but the people almost never come outside. Also my other neighbor has a dog and once went into my yard. I'm not sure if any owner would let a kitten outside where there is a dog nearby. It barks all the time. For now I am going to just keep feeding it or get close enough until it trusts me. I tried luring it with string but I guess it doesn't have the same affect on stray kittens outside. I would love to take it in. Maybe keep it in a bathroom until I can get it to a vet. I still need to do two things before that though. Check if its owned or where it goes after I feed it and gain its trust. Its not really the morning or afternoon I'm worried about its where it goes at night.