a drooling, lethargic, sick cat with the runs.

mr edd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi every one, I have a question. Two weeks ago one of my cats came home drooling at the mouth. We thought he must have picked up a toad. Since then he is often throwing up his dinner and he has the runs. He has also got lethargic , and he's third eyelids have taken up 25% of his eyes, We took him to the vets and (to cut a long story short) they said they had no idea what is wrong with him. They took a blood test and said that his kidneys may not be working right, and then charged me a weeks wages. My question is this, 'has anyone had a similar experience, not the large cost but the symptoms of my cat'? I did think that someone might have put down weed killer or snail pellets and my cat somehow ingested it. Maybe there might be another thought on the subject.
Thank you in advance for any info.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mr edd

Hi every one, I have a question. Two weeks ago one of my cats came home drooling at the mouth. We thought he must have picked up a toad. Since then he is often throwing up his dinner and he has the runs. He has also got lethargic , and he's third eyelids have taken up 25% of his eyes, We took him to the vets and (to cut a long story short) they said they had no idea what is wrong with him. They took a blood test and said that his kidneys may not be working right, and then charged me a weeks wages. My question is this, 'has anyone had a similar experience, not the large cost but the symptoms of my cat'? I did think that someone might have put down weed killer or snail pellets and my cat somehow ingested it. Maybe there might be another thought on the subject.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Hello Mr. Ed...

I see you just joined yesterday, so obviously you wanted help for your kitties. I read your profile and obviously you are an animal lover.

I am sorry about your visit to the vet and being told they have "no idea" what is wrong with him....except that his kidneys "might" not be working right.
Any chance of you getting a second opinion? That diagnois sounded very nebulous to me and I question it. But...don't get of going on bad vets.

I don't know how close you are to this kitty or whether the kitty is suffering. Is the kitty drinking water and still eating?

Yes, I agee...kitty sounds very sick. You will be getting many other people on this forum to try to get you through this.....people that have been on this forum for a very long time.

Good luck and please let us know how everything turns out....and...welcome to the Forum.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - get a second opinion. I don't know if it's possible, but keeping cats indoors is so much safer. Sometimes it's impossible if the cat has always been indoor/outdoor, but if you try to keep him indoors you'll listen to wailing for a couple weeks, but you may be able to "retrain" him.

Keep us posted please and do try to see another vet - call around to get some pricing if you can.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I hope you find out what is wrong very soon. It does sound as if he has ingested some slow-acting poison and you need to find out what quickly. Could he have got into something like antifreeze? Cats like it, and it causes some of the symptoms you mention. I lost a cat to rat poison last October, so I have a lot of sympathy for your situation.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also advise a second opinion - my first thoughts were antifreeze (although I believe it usually acts quicker than that) or slug pellets. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of toxins out there, and it sounds as if he's eaten something toxic. I would certainly take him to another vet if possible, because if he has ingested a toxin, then IV fluids and hydration could help to flush out his kidneys and liver and minimise further damage.

Fingers crossed for you and your cat

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antifreeze can work slowly over several weeks. I am not sure if there is an antidote. But do please get another vet to look at the situation.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also its possible he was bitten by a poisoneous spider, snake, etc. You need to get him to another vet before you lose him.

That's why we strongly recommend cats be kept indoors unless they are supervised outside (leash/harness or enclosure). Too many bad things out there!

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I did think that someone might have put down weed killer or snail pellets and my cat somehow ingested it. Maybe there might be another thought on the subject.
Sorry to hear about your kitty!
Is he doing better?

It sounds like maybe cholinergic type symptoms suggesting pesticide poisoning (esp. organophosphates)?? or heavy metal poisoning from fertilizers --
can you ask the vet about that? If it is, there should be antidotes, depending on the pesticide (e.g. 2-PAM or pralidoxime for most organophosphates).

Here is a webpage describing snail bait poisoning in dogs (not sure if same symptoms in cats), but doesn't sound like what you've described: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/snai...poisoning.html

P.S. If you haven't already, I'd suggest washing kitty & all his belongings -- in case the stuff is on his fur or skin & he keeps getting re-exposed...but don't scrub too hard or you might increase absorption thru skin via tiny skin abrasions...

Good Luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr edd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all those who replied to my query and thank you all. Guinness that's my cats name had to go back for another blood test and it turned out all clear. The vet said the toxin that was found in his blood has been flushed out. I still have to watch him to see if he drinks a lot of water, in case of kidney problems. But the crisis should be over. This morning I went down stairs to find him sitting on the kitchen worktop, as bright as a button. His eyes were clear and bright with no third eyelid in sight. He must have realised that he was not allowed on the tops, because he came over to me with his tail in the air. Needless to say I forgave him. He is now playing with his ping-pong ball and terrorizing his sister Bailey. A good sign. There's no more throwing up or the runs so I guess all is well . Once again I have to say I am amazed at the concern and advise that has been given. And I'm glad to be part of a fellowship of genuine cat lovers. Be assured I will keep in touch in the future and will visit this forum for further information and advise.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you will consider either keeping him inside all the time or train him to leash/harness or a cat enclosure - rather then allow him to be roaming unsupervised. Next time he may not be so lucky!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi to all those who replied to my query and thank you all. Guinness that's my cats name had to go back for another blood test and it turned out all clear. The vet said the toxin that was found in his blood has been flushed out. I still have to watch him to see if he drinks a lot of water, in case of kidney problems. But the crisis should be over. This morning I went down stairs to find him sitting on the kitchen worktop, as bright as a button. His eyes were clear and bright with no third eyelid in sight. He must have realised that he was not allowed on the tops, because he came over to me with his tail in the air. Needless to say I forgave him. He is now playing with his ping-pong ball and terrorizing his sister Bailey. A good sign. There's no more throwing up or the runs so I guess all is well . Once again I have to say I am amazed at the concern and advise that has been given. And I'm glad to be part of a fellowship of genuine cat lovers. Be assured I will keep in touch in the future and will visit this forum for further information and advise.
Hey Mr. Edd!!!!!

Thank you so much for coming back and letting us know how Guinness is doing....sooooo happy for you.

See, I told you you would have many friends responding to your post with help and good wishes.

Stay with us....come back once in a while....and perhaps post some pictures of both your kitties.

Toomany

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I do hope you will consider either keeping him inside all the time or train him to leash/harness or a cat enclosure - rather then allow him to be roaming unsupervised. Next time he may not be so lucky!
I agree that if a person can keep a cat inside...it is better....all mine are inside...but sometimes there are people who actually care for ferals or outdoor cats because they can't let them in....but at least they are fed...and, a friend of mine has them spayed and neutered and then brought back to her backyard...b/c she just can't bring them all in.

I applaud her!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such good news - I was very afraid for him. Is there any way you can find out what the poison actually was, so that it can be removed from the environment? When I lost my Napoleon I put a flyer round to all the people in my hamlet asking them about rat poison, but I never really got to the bottom of it, so I have had to keep my others inside till I can get a proper enclosure/fence sorted out. They hate it, I hate it, but I daren't do anything else.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

That is such good news - I was very afraid for him. Is there any way you can find out what the poison actually was, so that it can be removed from the environment? When I lost my Napoleon I put a flyer round to all the people in my hamlet asking them about rat poison, but I never really got to the bottom of it, so I have had to keep my others inside till I can get a proper enclosure/fence sorted out. They hate it, I hate it, but I daren't do anything else.
This is a great idea....maybe some of your neighbors may have experienced the same problem.